Cooling issues 5.7 Hemi diagnose.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurtis West

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 07 QC 5.7 1500. Its summer time in Texas which means it's hot as hell.

The last couple days while idling in heavy traffic or drive thru the truck goes above half now on temp guage.

While driving on the highway it sits 1 click below half constant.
This led me to believe its the fan clutch. Tested the clutch this morning on a cold engine and itd turn about 4-5in with a solid push. I believe that signals a good clutch. However with engine running it is a constant engaged spin.
I thought the clutch should release the waterpump.
Is this correct?

The overflow tank was halfway full, however the radiator took a bit more than half gallon to fill back up. I bled the system as well afterwards.

The tstat is a 180 I believe and is only 4 months old. I added a felpro gasket as I was having a tstat housing leak.

Waterpump gasket has had a minor leak for awhile but seems to be a bit more persistent now.
A mechanic before I got the truck added alumiseal to the radiator trying to solve tstat leak. I use the word mechanic lightly as that was idiotic.

My point is what could it be?

I know I need to eventually change the waterpump but could that minor leak only when engine is cold cause an overheat at long idle?

Could the fan clutch be slowly going out or the radiator be blocked up due to that alumiseal?
It seems that the excess fluid doesnt go back into the engine at all so maybe simply a radiator cap.

Where would yall start or should I go full ham on it and replace: radiator, cap, tstat, waterpump and fan clutch simultaneously?

Truck just finally hit 170k mi.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Take a rolled up newspaper and touch the fan while motor is running. If fan stops, the clutch fan is bad. I had same problems and symptoms. The newspaper stopped the fan in its tracks. Just have to slowly contact paper on driver side at about 3 o’clock position.