Weighing Down Bed for Winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaineJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Hey all,

Just wondering what you guys use, to weigh down your beds during the winter.

I have a 2017 1500 hemi, and I live in Maine.

Thanks, in advance,
Jeff

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I buy ice melting salt. That way i can use it throughout the winter and by the time winter is done my bed is almost empty. Works pretty well.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Never have. I would find it annoying having something in their that i would have to move all the time when i need the bed.

I say just buy good tires and drive smart.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually have enough tools in the bed, that I don’t worry about adding extra “winter weight” much any more.

However, when I was a kid, everyone in the family had a concrete filled tire with a loop of chain sticking out of it. We kept them in Grandpa’s barn, and used an chain hoist to put them in the trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I use sand bags or if I forget 'em I just put the rig in 4WD.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Interesting takes, a pickup was originally designed to have payload or towing weight in its natural counterbalance.

Using said truck unloaded in low friction conditions results in minimal rear traction with severe under-steer in cornering. Especially when these aren’t actually 4 wheels driven. 3 maximum and without a locking rear differential, you’ll be one front/1 rear and fighting the dangerous ESC and traction control nannies when cornering.

*takes off glasses

250 pounds are distributed over my rear wheel wells(more would be better), substantial improvements all around. Combined with winter blend gas it’s an inconsiderable amount of weight in economy.

Last edited:

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep 4 sand bags in bed. They very rarely slide around and if you really stuck pour it out. I live in a area with a lot of hills and corners having the sand bags help a lot dont have to click in 4wd much. On country roads with black ice time to time you dont have time to go into 4we. I also run BFG ko2s which is a added benefit.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I buy ice melting salt. That way i can use it throughout the winter and by the time winter is done my bed is almost empty. Works pretty well.
We had some guys at work use that to keep a tarp down in a brand new Silverado. Frame was rusted all to hell in a few weeks with all the rain we get.

I made a treated lumber rack for my Dakota that locks in on the wheel wells and holds 3 sand bags. Helped a lot with traction. Each sandbag is in a large Ziploc bag.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

fireguy942

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

Just wondering what you guys use, to weigh down your beds during the winter.

I have a 2017 1500 hemi, and I live in Maine.

Thanks, in advance,
Jeff

What part of Maine are you in boss? I just have the tonneau cover on mine and I’m down in York county

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I usually have enough tools in the bed, that I don’t worry about adding extra “winter weight” much any more.

However, when I was a kid, everyone in the family had a concrete filled tire with a loop of chain sticking out of it. We kept them in Grandpa’s barn, and used an chain hoist to put them in the trucks.

I'm betting those were 2WD trucks back in the day?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm betting those were 2WD trucks back in the day?

Grandpa’s was a 2wd short bed f-150
Step dad’s was a crew cab f-350 dually 2wd
My Mom’s was a regular cab, long bed K20(4x4)
My aunt ‘s was a regular cab long bed K10 (4x4)

the 2 4x4's had manual locking hubs on the front axle, and did not have "shift on the fly" transfer cases. Rather than coming to a stop to shift the transfer case every time the road conditions would change, it was easier to just lock the hubs, and leave the transfer case in 2wd unless 4x4 was really needed.

Last edited:

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
We had some guys at work use that to keep a tarp down in a brand new Silverado. Frame was rusted all to hell in a few weeks with all the rain we get.

I made a treated lumber rack for my Dakota that locks in on the wheel wells and holds 3 sand bags. Helped a lot with traction. Each sandbag is in a large Ziploc bag.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have never had an issue. I keep the bags sealed and have never had any salt leak out.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a wood support to keep 6 bags of sand over the rear axle. Works great.