Weight in truck bed for bad weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
What type of and how much weight do you use in the truck bed for bad weather? Also, how do you tie it down so it doesn't endanger yourself or anyone else in the event of an accident? I typically use about 400 lbs of sandbags but I am struggling to figure out how to tie them down so they don't go flying if (god forbid) I am in an accident.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you have a cargo net? Ratchet straps can be used to secure the cargo strap to the beds loops or hooks

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I normally add close to 300lbs of sandbags against the back tailgate to the backside fender well. Engineers at work told me this is the most beneficial spot for traction.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I normally add close to 300lbs of sandbags against the back tailgate to the backside fender well. Engineers at work told me this is the most beneficial spot for traction.

If you are running in 4x4 you want the weight 50/50 front to rear. So I would guess near the tailgate would be optimum as trucks tend to be very front heavy. But you also do not want so much rearward weight that you "lift" the front. I would venture a guess and say somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 to 500 lbs would be good. Moving the weight from the rear axle to the tailgate will change your front/rear balance a lot. So find a good spot or have the vehicle front/rear weighed. Remember again adding or removing things from the cab throws all this off. Not a box of tissues but heavy stuff like humans :)

I use ratchet straps to hold the load. But the big thing everyone forgets is that the extra weight in the bed takes away from the GVWR. So make you you do not overload your vehicle.

Last edited:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2wd so use sandbags by the tailgate and that seems to work very well. If the snow gets too bad I have 3 other vehicles with 4wd I can use.

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the weight right above the axle? I used some scrap 2x4s and made a basic frame to throw my sandbags into. This isn't mine, by it looks very similar. I didn't bother with the triangle pieces in the corners, that's overkill IMO. Only took me a few minutes to put together and works perfectly.

CIMG0003.jpg

CDNUSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use 40lb bags of water softer salt. I have to buy the stuff anyway so I leave extra in the truck ( 5-6 bags ) having a drop in liner it is hard to keep it in one spot. Was using a cargo bar but it didn't work too well either.
A buddy uses a rubber grip mat then puts the bags on top of that. Seems to add enough friction it does not move around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10

I just starting to do this, this year....2 x 40kg bags of salt though, seems to work much better for adding a little bit more traction when needed, if I need real good traction, 4WD is turned on.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the weight right above the axle? I used some scrap 2x4s and made a basic frame to throw my sandbags into. This isn't mine, by it looks very similar. I didn't bother with the triangle pieces in the corners, that's overkill IMO. Only took me a few minutes to put together and works perfectly.

CIMG0003.jpg

I am thinking with the weight cantilevering over the rear of the axle near the tailgate, you are actually putting more weight to the ground with the same amount of weight.

OP
OP
R

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I like the above suggestions but how do you keep it safe so you don't have 100 lb projectiles flying through the air and your back window in the event of an accident? A cargo net to put overtop of the sandbags is a good idea but may not be strong enough. I will look around online to see what is available.

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
If there is enough snow to worry about it I just shovel the snow from my driveway right into the bed of the truck. It's heavy and it melts an you don't have to unload it

Eliwab22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I currently have the old motor from my truck in the bed, seems to work very well.ee2fafc7a27ac9c5c57e41f5cb1ec1d8.jpg

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the above suggestions but how do you keep it safe so you don't have 100 lb projectiles flying through the air and your back window in the event of an accident? A cargo net to put overtop of the sandbags is a good idea but may not be strong enough. I will look around online to see what is available.

What kind of accident do you plan on being in to launch 100 pound sandbag through the air.

OP
OP
R

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
What kind of accident do you plan on being in to launch 100 pound sandbag through the air.
No one plans to be in an accident. I'd just rather take precautionary measures so my newborn doesn't get hurt. A 100lb sandbag can easily fly through the air at in a low impact accident (35mph).

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yrs ago I used a 1/2 steal plate in my old Chevy. I bolted it down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't add any weight in my truck, just use 4x4 if needed and drive carefully. Never have any issues.

In a 2wd truck I'd use 200 lbs between the rear axle and tailgate. Any more than that is overkill and not necessary. Get a basic rubber cargo mat and it should keep sand bags or whatever your weight product of choice is in place.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You could put a piece of plywood on top. Hold that down by making an x with 2 ratchet straps using the brackets in the corners of the bed. If the sand bags are too tall for a 2x4 you could use use a 2x6 and screw the plywood down. That would make a nice clean install too. If the crash is bad enough it will be throwing those bags around that much I wouldn't expect anything less than bolting them to the truck with some metal to hold them in place.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
with my old f 150 i just grabbed the forklift and slid a manhole casting in the box.i've yet to have a problem with the 2500 in any weather conditions.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If there is enough snow to worry about it I just shovel the snow from my driveway right into the bed of the truck. It's heavy and it melts an you don't have to unload it

I agree except when it melts some and gets slushy and refreezes. Then you have a huge ice cube that weighs a couple hundred lbs sliding back and forth in your bed. Been there, hated that.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi

CIMG0003.jpg

Because that's where the trailer hooks up :naughty: