Weird Popping Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey everyone. I am experiencing a weird noise from my 2008 Ram 1500 2WD 4.7. At low speeds (less than 10mph, usually coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign), the truck makes a slight pop. What is weird, is it does not happen every time and if I back up, you can hear it while backing up right about the same road position it did it last time and then once you pull forward, again you can hear it. Because it is not frequent, I have been unable to diagnose the issue and I can't bring it in to have it looked at since it is so sporadic. I can go weeks without hearing it.
Since it does it at the same spot in the road if I back up and pull forward etc, I believe it has something to do with the drive train rather than the suspension. This is always moving straight forward, not turning. Would a bad u joint on the drive shaft make a noise this sporadic?
Please let me know what you think. It has been making the noise for a while, but has not increased in frequency at all.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check driveshaft you might have a bad ujoint. Grab the driveshaft and rock it back and forth listening for “play” both rear and tranny joints. Also watch for excessive pinion slop. The 9.25 rears have issues with pinion bearings.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I recommend looking at the ball joints and as already said the U joints on the driveshaft.
If ya need help with diagnosis of these items hit us up here.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Thanks guys. That was what I was thinking it would be, I will try to get it up on a lift and check it out.

Another thing: Rotated my tires today and noticed after putting it back on the ground the tire was leaning out at the top. Drove it around the block and looked again and noticed it was normal again. I'm assuming this is a ball joint issue? The truck is an 08 and they've never been replaced so they are probably due anyway. Are they able to be pressed in/out or do I have to replace the complete control arm? If I am going to work on the suspension I am going to do both upper and lower ball joints on both sides while I am working in there. If there is anything else I should inspect (Truck has a little under 100K), let me know. Thanks!

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Uppers you have to buy whole control arm with balljoint lowers the ball joint is serviceable.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sway bar links, inner and outer tie rod ends.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Sway bar links, inner and outer tie rod ends.
Thanks, inner and outer tie rod ends were replaced under a year ago. I'm going to replace the sway bar links while I am in there

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Okay so I ordered the following:
Both upper control arms, lower ball joints and sway bar links. All are moog.
While ordering I read reviews and it mentioned to tighten down the control arm bushing bolts with the control arm under weight/parallel to the ground. Does this mean I need to leave them loose until i lower the truck and tighten them with the tire on the ground? Not sure how that is even possible to get access. Or do I just hold the control arm level while i tighten it?

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
New U joints for the drive shaft are on the way and replaced ball joints yesterday. Not real sure how the lower ball joint is considered removeable. There was no snap ring or anything and it appeared that the ball joint was permenantly attached. Pulled the lower control arm completely off the truck to use a press or to be able to grind on it if we needed to, no luck whatsoever. Every video I watched said that there is a snap ring holding it in, not the case on that side. Any tips on how to get that out for future knowledge in case I ever run into that again? Ended up just buying a new lower control arm to match the other side that had been replaced before.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Factory ones didn’t have a snap ring. The b joint has 3 “wings coming off of it on the top. Knock them in with a chisel and the b joint presses out of the bottom of the control arm. I just did this 3 days ago without removing the lower control arm. Used a ball joint press. Make sure the receiving tub is a larger diameter then the ball joint! They push fairly easy out.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And yes leave uppers a little loose and set the truck down on its own weight and tighten the upper control arm bolts.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Factory ones didn’t have a snap ring. The b joint has 3 “wings coming off of it on the top. Knock them in with a chisel and the b joint presses out of the bottom of the control arm. I just did this 3 days ago without removing the lower control arm. Used a ball joint press. Make sure the receiving tub is a larger diameter then the ball joint! They push fairly easy out.

Yep tried that and put it in a press, did not make any difference. Very strange. Oh well, the bushings were probably due anyway.

Now, I am frustrated. The list of parts keep growing and the sound stays the same.
All new ball joints on both sides, rebuilt sway bar links (both joints felt good, put new bushings on each side). Outer tie rods are new this week and inners were changed not long ago. New driveshaft u joints. Still popping. I did notice today that if you ride with the windows down, turning left it pops (pop pop pop) over and over. Same noise but a little quieter, so if you have the radio on at all you can't hear it.
I am bringing it in for an alignment in the morning and I am going to ask them to test drive and see if they can hear it. Any other suggestions?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you only hear the “pop” or is it felt in the steering wheel? Doe the tire treads look like they are worn evenly across. Without an alignment it could be the tires scrubbing/ chattering do to the too much toe out . But I think you would feel it through the wheel!

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Don’t feel it in the wheel.
Alignment place is at a loss too

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
So the alignment was TERRIBLE. To be expected considering the replacement lower control arm. Test drove it after and I am not hearing the popping anymore when turning left or right. On occasion there still is the pop coming to a stop. Very strange. Guess I will bring it to a suspension shop or similar and see if they can figure it out.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Brought it to another shop today. They did a complete look over and they are at a loss on it as well. Any other ideas?

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Front hubs and axles. I have a 10 and just did mine but my front u joint was frozen on the drive shaft and was making a very similar noise. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry just noticed you have 2wd. I’m at a loss then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok guys might have some more info.
I believe the pop is actually happening at almost every stop, but it is so quiet it is hard to hear unless standing outside of the car. It is a very quiet pop most of the time. I have also noticed that the pop is louder stopping going downhill sometimes. So, is it possible that this is brake related? You can literally move 5 feet forward and it'll pop coming to a stop.

I read online to check body mounts. Got up under the truck and one was loose, but did not fix the issue.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
This issue might finally be solved.
Brought it to the dealer last night, this morning they called and said that my brake pad anti rattle clips are missing/broken. They checked over everything suspension related and said all is good and strong. Guess we will see. I hope it is something that simple. I normally would not pay for a dealer to fix my truck after diagnosis, but over $20 I'll just pay it and if their "fix" doesn't fix it it will be back in their lot Monday morning to reinspect.