Weird timing 03 hemi 5.7 and P0113 code iat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
Hi all - been trying to diagnose my 8mpg issue on my 03 hemi 5.7.. reringed and new timing set 20k miles back at 100k - everything inside was brand new looking and perfectly in spec(i bought it with a spun rod bearing).

Trying to chase low power and terrible mpg:

20k miles back:
New rings & bearings, exh gaskets and bolts (no leaks)
New timing set + new NGK factory plugs (NOT iridium)

Last 6 months:
Cleaned throttle body
New cat 1000 miles back (no change)
Retorqued knock sensors to 15 ft lbs
Checked fuel psi (49)
Replaced air sensors (IAT and MAP twist one)

I rechecked trans fluid yesterday idling in N and its clean red (has 20k miles on it) -

P0113 code:
Now ive never had a CEL - and the truck has passed smog everytime, however yesterday I did the 3 key switch and got P0113 - which is the IAT sensor, so I followed the manual to the tee and no issue, first I read 4.6k ohms resistance between the ground terminal and the engine ground, then I measured between the 2 pins and got almost the same reading (manual says it should not be under 100 ohms - but 4.6k seems excessively high?). I then proceeded to short the terminals out and got 240 degrees, then I unplugged it and the temp dropped to -40c which indicates the wiring AND sensor are functioning according to forums - plugged in and running it showed the IAT around 31c which I believe to be a little warmer, ambient was probably around 25 degrees- I then pulled the ECU plug and everything looked brand new inside - I sprayed it with elec corrosion protection in any case and popped it back together.

Timing?
So I plugged in an obd sensor to see what was going on yesterday and noticed super ******** ignition timing! 10-24 ATDC!! Is this possible or is the OBD unit faulty?

Here is a shot of the timing low/high cruising around town- yesterday I did notice it more like 5-15 but not sure if that was btdc or not.. fwiw the truck seems to drive ok -but when I tow is embarrassing - even a small 18ft boat makes it hardly accelerate up a turnpike ramp :/ it just makes a noise upfront but not much happening to the wheels!

1630166846703-png.png

1630166833800-png.png

Anything look out of whack?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi all - been trying to diagnose my 8mpg issue on my 03 hemi 5.7.. reringed and new timing set 20k miles back at 100k - everything inside was brand new looking and perfectly in spec(i bought it with a spun rod bearing).

Trying to chase low power and terrible mpg:

20k miles back:
New rings & bearings, exh gaskets and bolts (no leaks)
New timing set + new NGK factory plugs (NOT iridium)

Last 6 months:
Cleaned throttle body
New cat 1000 miles back (no change)
Retorqued knock sensors to 15 ft lbs
Checked fuel psi (49)
Replaced air sensors (IAT and MAP twist one)

I rechecked trans fluid yesterday idling in N and its clean red (has 20k miles on it) -

P0113 code:
Now ive never had a CEL - and the truck has passed smog everytime, however yesterday I did the 3 key switch and got P0113 - which is the IAT sensor, so I followed the manual to the tee and no issue, first I read 4.6k ohms resistance between the ground terminal and the engine ground, then I measured between the 2 pins and got almost the same reading (manual says it should not be under 100 ohms - but 4.6k seems excessively high?). I then proceeded to short the terminals out and got 240 degrees, then I unplugged it and the temp dropped to -40c which indicates the wiring AND sensor are functioning according to forums - plugged in and running it showed the IAT around 31c which I believe to be a little warmer, ambient was probably around 25 degrees- I then pulled the ECU plug and everything looked brand new inside - I sprayed it with elec corrosion protection in any case and popped it back together.

Timing?
So I plugged in an obd sensor to see what was going on yesterday and noticed super ******** ignition timing! 10-24 ATDC!! Is this possible or is the OBD unit faulty?

Here is a shot of the timing low/high cruising around town- yesterday I did notice it more like 5-15 but not sure if that was btdc or not.. fwiw the truck seems to drive ok -but when I tow is embarrassing - even a small 18ft boat makes it hardly accelerate up a turnpike ramp :/ it just makes a noise upfront but not much happening to the wheels!

View attachment 469303

View attachment 469304

Anything look out of whack?
We're these snapshots taken at the same RPM and if so what RPM? With the map at 29kpa this looks like you are sitting at idle rpm

29kpa converts to 21.02inhg which looks like you are at idle.

OP
OP
SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
believe it was taken at idle - i have a scanner on the way - hopefully it will enable me to check some deeper codes etc.. it has a graph system so ill be able to record multiple data points while driving-

Im wondering if the TC isnt bad - 120k miles on it.. I can get up to 75 on the highway without a major struggle but 8mpg is just unbelievable imo-

topdon-ad800bt-1_720x.jpg

cant recall which bearing - was almost 4 years ago.

Moose410

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve got a 2014 Dodge Ram Laramie and bin wanting it be louder any suggestions?