What can Ram do to the 3500 to really get it right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What do you think Ram could do to create the best working/pulling truck hands down?

I’m thinking Allison Transmission is number 1. Maybe listen to the consumer number 2?

I heard they are looking into 3 HD transmissions, may drop the Aisin? I heard when they really come out with the REAL gen 5 they will have a different transmission option as apparently they know they lag in that department.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they still doing a manual trans option? If not I’d say bring that back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
thebuilderman

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yeah a lot of folks seem to want them to bring that back. I’m hoping they do the Allison 9 speed automatic. Supposedly it will bolt right in.
I spoke with CAconversions .com who say it pretty much bolts right in with minimal issues.
Apparently they are the one who did the original install of the Cummins for the Ram back in 1986. Yes I said 1986 as I think that’s when Chrysler asked them to figure out how.
These guys have worked extensively with Chrysler and Allison. I think all the big 3 with the Allison conversions.
Bottom line is from what I understand it wouldn’t be hard for Ram to get the Allison to work with the Cummins.
That’d be the dream set up!

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, I think the Cummins with the Allison 6-speeds wouldn’t be a bad combo. When I had my 04, I thought about doing this swap because I only had a 5-speed manual (thanks California).

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Manual is gone and ain't coming back.

As far as what transmission will be next? It's a crap shoot. Lots of rumors and nothing solid. I doubt it will be an allision, they have been doing joint work with GM and Ford past few years

OP
OP
thebuilderman

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Manual is gone and ain't coming back.

As far as what transmission will be next? It's a crap shoot. Lots of rumors and nothing solid. I doubt it will be an allision, they have been doing joint work with GM and Ford past few years

All Alison did was test GM’s transmission so GM gets to put the Allison name on their tranny. I think Ford’s tranny is Ford and it’s supposed to be bad ass. GM does not have a contract with Allison any more.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've seen ZF 8 speed test mules for the HD trucks there is even a video out of 3500 with the transmission going around a test track.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Last edited:
OP
OP
thebuilderman

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So I spoke with Mike the fleet sales manager at Brandon Dodge in Denver and he says FCA will have the ZF 8 speed as an option in mid 2021 or early 2022! Just happens that I’ll be ready to pull the trigger on a Limited fully optioned out Cummins 3500! For me I really think they need at least the 8speed. I love the Aisin but 6 speed and not able to get 4.10 gears with the SRW just isn’t perfect for me.
I still think FCA would do better (at least in the USA) would destroy the market if they went with the 9 speed Allison. But that’s too smart for Chrysler to do. But they already work with ZF and it’s easier to buy more. Understand the financial thing but I love the Allison.
Before you all tell me the ZF is great, I know. They’re great HD transmissions and have been around for 100 years. Hey. I just like the Allison too.

Jim Jenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
thebuilderman, have you heard any more news for the 2022's? I'm replacing my 04 2500 this year(one-ton DRW). I was going to do it in 2020, but want to wait on the tranny issue. If they do not offer something other then the AISIN by late summer/fall, I'm going to have to go Ford. I love my 04 2500 but it's fewer speed transmission is just not the smoothest.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Four things would make the 3500 the top of the heap for me.

1. Build more SRW 3500's. I wanted a SRW 3500 but it was dually's everywhere and the closest 3500 SRW was 1200 miles away. The frame strength of the 3500 would be ideal for plowing, trail trips and other similar activities where an equidistant front / rear is essential.

2. Transmissions. Put the ZF 8HP75-LCV or ZF-8HP90-LCV behind the SO and HO Cummins and call it a day. Aisin is meh at best and ZF has their proverbial **** in a pile when it comes too transmissions.

3. LIFETIME EMISSIONS WARRANTIES. For the Diesel guys, this is a sore subject and a point of contention. Stand behind the vehicle, no (unreasonable) questions and fix it for the lifetime the original owner owns the truck.

4. Make GAS engines more readily available. Yeah yeah... this is pipe dream, but this would be a payload monster in dually or SRW form.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
2. Transmissions. Put the ZF 8HP75-LCV or ZF-8HP90-LCV behind the SO and HO Cummins and call it a day. Aisin is meh at best and ZF has their proverbial **** in a pile when it comes too transmissions.
There's another ZF transmission coming down the pipeline that's more in the realm of commercial vehicle usage. One of its features is using second gear to take off unless it senses enough load then it drops to first, it ran in part how the vehicle is sitting (ie: climbing a grade).
4. Make GAS engines more readily available. Yeah yeah... this is pipe dream, but this would be a payload monster in dually or SRW form.
In the weights that a dually can hold, that Hemi would be screaming like a stuck pig, let alone if you hitch 20K behind it. The CTD has the torque to handle those loads and in the heavy weights a dually can handle, the extra 800 lbs of engine doesn't make much difference when the truck and trailer is 30K gross.

OP
OP
thebuilderman

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I heard from a dealer that either mid 2021 or early ‘22 they will have the update. I also read the same on the internet in a few places. Seems their going to go with the Allison 9 speed but personally I think they’ll do the ZF 8 speed powerline transmission that they use in medium duty trucks. They already have a contract with ZF as they use them in the 1500’s and some of the Dodge cars. Either will be fine with me but I’d prefer Allison. The Allison was made for the Cummins I’m told.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I heard from a dealer that either mid 2021 or early ‘22 they will have the update. I also read the same on the internet in a few places. Seems their going to go with the Allison 9 speed but personally I think they’ll do the ZF 8 speed powerline transmission that they use in medium duty trucks. They already have a contract with ZF as they use them in the 1500’s and some of the Dodge cars. Either will be fine with me but I’d prefer Allison. The Allison was made for the Cummins I’m told.

I’m sorry guy, but all over your “info” is from dealers. Dealers NEVER know anything before we do. It doesn’t happen. Dealer/zone reps, also never know. They find out when everyone else does, period. Hell, most dealers don’t know even after a certain item is announced.

Cliffs’ Notes: dealers never have inside info on pending product. It’s a myth.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I spoke with Mike the fleet sales manager at Brandon Dodge in Denver and he says FCA will have the ZF 8 speed as an option in mid 2021 or early 2022!

Mike knows nothing. Fleet sales managers also never have inside info. It doesn’t happen.

OP
OP
thebuilderman

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Mike knows nothing. Fleet sales managers also never have inside info. It doesn’t happen.
So I’m not doubting what you said. I will qualify though.
My info is not just from Dealers. Very little is. I just have an open mind and ask everyone I can for info.
I’ve been trying the forums and YouTube and have got info from TFLTRUCK and Mr.Truck personally. I also spoke with one of the engineers from Allison and I saw a video on YouTube with them using a ZF in a Ram 3500 Diesel. Not to mention every article I could find online for the past 2 years.
Using common sense I’m thinking Ford and GM both have 10 speed trannies. The Aisin is a 6 and shifts like crap. Allison does not have a contract with GM anymore and nor do they build a tranny for GM. They test the tranny for gm. I think GM still uses the Allison in their medium duty trucks but not sure. I also know Allison built a 9 or 10 speed tranny for the 6.7 Cummins.
I know FCA never seems to use a brain but their wallet is never big enough. If they don’t get with the program many folks will go to the other manufacturers. As of now I’m not the only one who’s waiting for the 2022 and the real gen 5 truck to come out.
Additionally it seems unless you get a dually you can’t get 4.1 axle ratio. They’re using the many gears in the newer tranny’s.
So what can you add? Do/can you get any reliable info. If so share, please.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO! I’m not a gear head and I’m not in the know. I’ve done what I could think to figure it out. It’s all a guess anyway. I even started this thread. I’m trying to keep my hopes up and trying to learn.
But thanks soooo much for your sage advice. Without that wisdom I would believe only dealers. Of course dealers only have our best interest in mind, right? But thank god we have folks like you to enlighten us ignorant folks that believe everything we’re told form a dealer.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Dude, there even starting to heavily lean on automatics and disk brakes in class 8 over-the-road semis so kiss this idea goodbye of still feeling like you need a standard transmission in a pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know, it’s insane. Of all industries, I thought for sure OTR trucking would stick more to manuals.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know, it’s insane. Of all industries, I thought for sure OTR trucking would stick more to manuals.

You would think, but since the technology in automatic transmissions for big trucks has come along way, that’s what most companies are pushing for to get more people in trucks. I’ve been driving for 12 years and even though I’m old-school, I would much rather prefer a transmission I can shift myself but at least one thing about it, I’m not so much subject to the every day driving in a rock truck that most over the road truck drivers are subject to, which is driving in cities in traffic…. that’s where an automatic comes in handy if you’re constantly using the clutch and shifting the whole time.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You would think, but since the technology in automatic transmissions for big trucks has come along way, that’s what most companies are pushing for to get more people in trucks. I’ve been driving for 12 years and even though I’m old-school, I would much rather prefer a transmission I can shift myself but at least one thing about it, I’m not so much subject to the every day driving in a rock truck that most over the road truck drivers are subject to, which is driving in cities in traffic…. that’s where an automatic comes in handy if you’re constantly using the clutch and shifting the whole time.

You're right about trying to find truck drivers. We are having to go to automatics because the majority and I do mean the majority of today's truck drivers "CAN NOT" drive a manual. Blows my mind! I figure it also gives them a free hand to text with now! LOL