What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Where your drive shaft connects to the axle. pinion angle is how far up or down that part of the axle is. It's how bad of an angle is on your drive shaft to axle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
The pinion comes out of your axle into a yolk and attaches to the drive shaft

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha I figured that much but I didn't think it would have anything to do with steering. How does it affect it?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Alright guys explain; define pinion angle for me please.

No Q is dumb ever, and fixed it for you.

Where your drive shaft connects to the axle. pinion angle is how far up or down that part of the axle is. It's how bad of an angle is on your drive shaft to axle

Yep and mine is also out of spec right now as it's all set for 10" lift not 7" lift.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Gotcha I figured that much but I didn't think it would have anything to do with steering. How does it affect it?

That's a bit to type out, but to comes down to bj angle, its pivot point and centerline these all affect the caster. To much caster will make your truck very twichicy. It's kinda balancing on the front of the tire, hard to explain. Turn it back and it rides more on it heal and it should track better. But not to much either way.

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you adjust that? Index the hubs or what?
Edit: or would it be through the control arms? Is that what you were saying about the cam bolts merc?

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Applying for jobs this week. Finally I won't have to worry about mpg lol.
Starting to get better at mig welding where I'd be comfortable building a bumper for my truck. Building a deer blind right now, depending on how much we win in shows I may build a bumper for the truck next semester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Applying for jobs this week. Finally I won't have to worry about mpg lol.
Starting to get better at mig welding where I'd be comfortable building a bumper for my truck. Building a deer blind right now, depending on how much we win in shows I may build a bumper for the truck next semester

That's awesome I was in the welding program at my high school but I quit to pursue calculus. If hadn't of went to school I would've stayed welding, I really did enjoy it.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Mine is set for 6 inches of lift on..........wait for it...... A 6 " LIFT [emoji23]

Yea I had done this work in the summer thinking it would be done by now, oh well it's easy outside winter work. All I need is the 8" Bds Dsl springs. Diff is about 1.750 forward and I can make the pumpkin hit the trackbar bracket, so this does need to get done soon.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I had done this work in the summer thinking it would be done by now, oh well it's easy outside winter work. All I need is the 8" Bds Dsl springs. Diff is about 1.750 forward and I can make the pumpkin hit the trackbar bracket, so this does need to get done soon.

So you've already set up the rear for the 10"?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
How do you adjust that? Index the hubs or what?
Edit: or would it be through the control arms? Is that what you were saying about the cam bolts merc?

I brain farted man typed camber and it should have been castor sorry for that.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
If I can ever get time to do my 4 link bushings, my steering gear box, adjustable track bar call, and ball joints in the front I'm going to turn my pumpkin up a little bit. I have the rear set I just never messed with the front

I kind of want to build some traction bars sometime here this winter

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So what can be done with the bjs to cure slight negative camber? My truck seems to have always had negative camber. Haven't noticed adverse affects on my tires though.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
So you've already set up the rear for the 10"?

I have all the parts ready but not installed, rear I am already 1.75 taller than the front. So all I am doing is going to a taller block, 4" I think it is. Brake lines are good for 14" lift and mass travel. Front shocks are good for now i do need longer rears or move the shock bracket to a new spot on the diff.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
So what can be done with the bjs to cure slight negative camber? My truck seems to have always had negative camber. Haven't noticed adverse affects on my tires though.
you can do offset ball joints. Or you can do with my ******* brother did and take a torch and heat up the ball joint mount and move it out a little bit

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
That's awesome I was in the welding program at my high school but I quit to pursue calculus. If hadn't of went to school I would've stayed welding, I really did enjoy it.

I enjoy it a lot. I just need to get better at arc welding now