What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
All kinds of different weights. From small rounds 4'x4' at 400lbs to big 5'x6' at 2000 lbs. And small squares around 50 lbs. fyi

hefted a few of them 50 pounders in my younger days.....good way to find out you have a hay allergy......:word:

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
hefted a few of them 50 pounders in my younger days.....good way to find out you have a hay allergy......:word:
Its good hard work. Thats for sure. Not so good if you have allergy. Me brother and i helped a neighbor with 5,000 bales. One time we did 2,000 in a day. That hard work.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Hauled my father's heavy ass travel trailer today about 40 miles. I think I need to invest in some rear leveling bags like Mark has, especially since I already have the air system.

Attachments

• 20160507_121957.jpg
    20160507_121957.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 57
  • 20160507_122008.jpg
    20160507_122008.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 46

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hauled my father's heavy ass travel trailer today about 40 miles. I think I need to invest in some rear leveling bags like Mark has, especially since I already have the air system.
Agreed! Your truck will look really good with then!!

Sent while i should be working....

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of body work was done today, started at 10:30am and just got done 8:45pm.

Driver side rocker panel was starting to go in one spot so I cut out the bad section and welded in new. Bed had heavy scratches as well as rust so they were grinded down to bare metal and then hammered out then filled. Put 3 coats of etching primer on it right now since I have to order one more panel for the truck. After that panel comes in and install the truck will be getting painted...so it looks poopy with primer in random spots lol.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well I am at a milestone...

Did a compression test today and the results are really, and I mean really bad...

Surprisingly for a 4.7L the issue is not with the head or head gasket...

A wet test got everything back at the top of the scale. Here are the results. I did not have the time to perform the wet test on all the cylinders s only the ones with a second result below the line have had a wet test.

picture.php

The first thing that comes to mind is I could swap for a slightly newer truck and this time get a HEMI as I now know better...

Second option would be to replace the engine all together. However I have a fair amount of body work to do on the truck and not quite sure it is worth it...

The third option which I am leaning towards would be to open the engine up, wishfully thinking I will not find anything else really bad under the covers, do a simple ring job, new head gasket close the whole thing up and hope for the best.

Since I am on a very tight budget option 3 would be preferable from an overall cost perspective, but it will be time consuming (which maybe I can deal with), but I fear I'll be opening a can of worms...

I'd Like to have your thoughts on this one.

Trade, Swap or Fix?

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Well I am at a milestone...

Did a compression test today and the results are really, and I mean really bad...

Surprisingly for a 4.7L the issue is not with the head or head gasket...

A wet test got everything back at the top of the scale. Here are the results. I did not have the time to perform the wet test on all the cylinders s only the ones with a second result below the line have had a wet test.

picture.php

The first thing that comes to mind is I could swap for a slightly newer truck and this time get a HEMI as I now know better...

Second option would be to replace the engine all together. However I have a fair amount of body work to do on the truck and not quite sure it is worth it...

The third option which I am leaning towards would be to open the engine up, wishfully thinking I will not find anything else really bad under the covers, do a simple ring job, new head gasket close the whole thing up and hope for the best.

Since I am on a very tight budget option 3 would be preferable from an overall cost perspective, but it will be time consuming (which maybe I can deal with), but I fear I'll be opening a can of worms...

I'd Like to have your thoughts on this one.

Trade, Swap or Fix?

Hemi sounds good to me :happy107: