What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you're going whole hog you can get cruise switches from an Aspen, same ones but in silver:

IMAG4634 edit.jpg

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
If you're going whole hog you can get cruise switches from an Aspen, same ones but in silver:

View attachment 226735

Thanks for for idea, I might just do that when I get around to finally adding cruise lol i like the silver color better than the flat blacks that came with all these trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for for idea, I might just do that when I get around to finally adding cruise lol i like the silver color better than the flat blacks that came with all these trucks

Oh and that's a Grant steering wheel. So much better than stock.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Can anyone tell me, where I can find some decent bed tie downs. I have 03 ram with the ones that look like dock cleats. I've looked online : the sites always come up with the ones that go in the square holes on the top rails of the bed. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The boss gave us vets the day off so I replaced the OEM negative battery terminal and ground wire harness with some 4 AWG wires. For those who may search in the future, a 5/16" ring terminal fits body ground and the frame ground and both have a 10mm bolt. The block ground is a 15mm bolt and takes a 3/8" right angle ring terminal.

Ram ground cables.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Last night I was cruising the interstate in my 2004 Ram 1500 and heard SNAP CRACKLE POP from the rear diff. Racked it up at my shop so I could pull the diff cover and found big chunks missing from one of the spider gears. This truck still has an open diff and 3.55's. After searching the cabinets and boxes to look for another set of gears to put it back together and coming up empty I got the welder out and turned this one-legged wonder into a 2-tire fryer. I only needed it to last for a day or two until the new 4.56 gears. After looking through my storage I came across a new-in-box 9.25 Trak-Lok diff case that I had saved. I stole the side gears and clutches out of it several years ago to repair one that had a broken retaining clip. So, after a few phone calls to a couple of racing buddies I was able to round up a new set of side gears and retaining clips and I got lucky and found a set of clutches hiding in my attic. Score.

Here is what the diff looked like when I got the cover off:IMG_20201112_194733_01.jpg
20 minutes with my Miller-Matic 210 and it was drivable enough until the new gears arrived. So now my Saturday morning will consist of building this diff with a fresh set if 4.56 gears and a Trak-Lock limited slip that I robbed parts from about 10 years ago.

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got the fog light jumper harness in today and wired it all up. Found out the hard way that ST base models actually do not have the wiring or anything from the TIPM, specifically the connector for the fog light jumper. I ended up doing that part myself and everything went pretty smoothly

First impressions- these things are INSANELY BRIGHT! They dwarf even my HIDs. For 60 bucks these fog lights are worth every penny
551b0b1821ab86b21f805503a89d649b.jpg

One thing I noticed is 1. Fog lights were enabled already without programming them and 2. Fog light dropout with high beams was disabled already as well. I’m not sure if fog light drop out is just a 4th gen thing or if my truck is just weird lol

I’ve wondered that too! Mine stay on with the high beams as well. Only wondered because Chevrolet stuff always kicks off the fogs when the high beams come on. And irritated me for whatever reason.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I’ve wondered that too! Mine stay on with the high beams as well. Only wondered because Chevrolet stuff always kicks off the fogs when the high beams come on. And irritated me for whatever reason.

The newer rams are the same way, and disabling foglight dropout is one of the most popular settings that they change, go figure lol

I like having all my lights on

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, after a broken spider gear a few days ago, welding the diff together so I could continue driving the truck and a few hours of my time last night it is now sporting a new set of 4.56 gears along with a new PowerTrax Grip Pro GT309231 Limited Slip unit.

I had the PowerTrax unit from a previous build that never came to fruition so I decided it was time to finally get some use out of it. The GT309231 is a gear driven limited slip that I have used many times over the years and it works really well for a relatively affordable price.

The 4.56 gears really make the biggest difference when it comes to all around drivability. They make the truck so much more enjoyable to drive.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Isn't just Chevy, it's federal law for the fogs to drop out with the high beams lol. Sounds like someone went in to yours already. Even before AlfaOBD it was ridiculously easy with a StarScan to go in and disable the dropout.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Isn't just Chevy, it's federal law for the fogs to drop out with the high beams lol. Sounds like someone went in to yours already. Even before AlfaOBD it was ridiculously easy with a StarScan to go in and disable the dropout.

I’ve always thought that was an odd law. Unless you have a lifted truck with a big light bar tapped into your fog lights I don’t see an issue while driving in rural areas lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve always thought that was an odd law. Unless you have a lifted truck with a big light bar tapped into your fog lights I don’t see an issue while driving in rural areas lol

I dunno. Also I'm not sure if this one is law too but in early 3rd gens the high and low beams don't operate at the same time unless you're holding the stalk (or you've installed the Britebox kit).

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I dunno. Also I'm not sure if this one is law too but in early 3rd gens the high and low beams don't operate at the same time unless you're holding the stalk (or you've installed the Britebox kit).
I don't use high beams that often but when I do I hold the stalk. I've always hated that the fog lights go out. Not sure what Britebox is but I'll be looking into it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't use high beams that often but when I do I hold the stalk. I've always hated that the fog lights go out. Not sure what Britebox is but I'll be looking into it.

Geno's and Amazon carry the kit, probably others as well. Shop around for the best price. There is the Brite box kit (solely for high & low beams together) and then there is the kit that also has fog light control (to keep the fogs on with high beams). That's what I got: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/dodgeram-britebox-sdk7-flc-6/accessories-lighting
Also got the bulbzilla kit for the fog lights: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/bb-BFH-6-5/accessories-lighting

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I’ve just been counting down the days, next Tuesday was the first day I could get my truck into the shop due to my busy schedule, so we’ll see how it goes.

I’ve got a daystar 1.5” level system that mounts above the coil spring, not sure the CORRECT term for it. I’ve heard mixed reviews from this type of level, but theres very few options out there for 06-08 2WDs that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, so I figured I’d give it a try. If I wanted to spend money on a level kit that costs as much as a lift kit, I’d be lifting lol

To go along with it I got some rough country extended shocks. Also have heard mixed reviews about their shocks and rough country in general, but again just gonna see what happens
9f9b1ddc76068839e393e706987c7b8a.jpg

Then I have some Moog problem solver ball joints. I’m hoping they’ll work better than the lower ball joints I have now, those didn’t last long before ripping up lol

I’m holding off on the new wheels and tires until I’m sure the daystar level and rough country shocks hold up well

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There’s a reason the fogs turn off with high beams. High beams = distance vision. Fog light = near vision in bad visibility. By leaving your fog lights on, you are causing your pupils to constrict and hurting your distance vision.

High beams no bueno in fog, fog lights no bueno when using high beams.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it seems that way, but truly they counteract each other. I used to think the same until I started paying attention to how far I could see (even with only low beams on) with and without fog lights. Fog lights kill distance vision.

But yes more light everywhere is subjectively “nice”

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
So I got the daystar level spacers, rough country shocks, moog lower ball joints and sway bar end links installed. I didn't have much time to look but the truck is definitely close to level, I plan on taking a measuring tape to it tomorrow to see how level it is exactly. I only drove it for about 20 miles, but I didn't notice much if any difference in ride quality. My RCSB rides like a covered chuckwagon just like it always has lol

While they were in there they figured out that the ol 3.7's days are numbered. Head gasket is leaking oil. Could go in there and replace it sure but at almost 175k miles of beating there's gonna be a lot in there needing a replacement. Especially with how I suspect the PO's drove this rig

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Wanted to send out a friendly reminder that we have our November TOTM contest going on right now, click the big link in my signature to go vote everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357