What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blkngld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally installed my Recon rear licence plate light kit. Easy swap out, once some of the guys from here gave me some advice..... LOL

They ARE bright.
05D95AD5-FC50-4E58-96FE-1ADD3656366D.jpeg E0FA4296-B2D2-4128-8EFB-315564D6E38D.jpeg

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for that link. I'm going to see if there is a way I can tap into a fuse box somewhere. Maybe I can use something like this : Nilight Fuse Holder Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder - 10 Pack, 2 years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742BZXC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nPmmBb3ZPQ46H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming your truck has the same fuses as mine, a 2014, you'll need a Micro ATM tap, not the Mini, but otherwise it should work.

-K

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it's a RHD in Kalgoorlie Australia.

Tuff bullbar and brush rails combo.

www.tuffbullbars.com.au

Custom roll bar (headache rack), 5" turbo back afe power exhaust, tuned by drd.

Dobinson coils all round, front +100kg, 2" level and rear +250kg.
Bilstein 5100 all round.

It's a work vehicle and tows a tri axle trailer doing vehicle delivery and recovery as well as hot shots.

Bull bar is essential out here, probably hit over 100 kangaroos and a baby camel so far.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I knew it! The ute in the background, your front plate and the terrain were big clues...plus the dash. Of course, it could've been West Texas, too!

TXCOMT

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Omg... You will love that!!!!
I like to ramp it up and watch my wife's face when she hops in to drive it. Money well spent!!!

So far, pretty impressive...lol. I started a thread over in the performance section about what you all that have them run for a preferred setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Assuming your truck has the same fuses as mine, a 2014, you'll need a Micro ATM tap, not the Mini, but otherwise it should work.

-K

I do have a 2014. I tried looking at the fuse box under the hood, but it was getting dark and hard to make out what was what. The fuses are tiny, I did realize that.

Any idea which fuses to tap in to for the turn signals and the entry lights? Obviously, I'm not very good at this.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I do have a 2014. I tried looking at the fuse box under the hood, but it was getting dark and hard to make out what was what. The fuses are tiny, I did realize that.

Any idea which fuses to tap in to for the turn signals and the entry lights? Obviously, I'm not very good at this.

Ah, Sorry, I didn't catch what you wanted to do with them. I'm afraid you're out of luck there. There are no specific fuses for either of those. They are on fuses that handle power to many things, but the actual switching on/off them is in the BCM, it's not something you can tap at the fuse for an add-on like the side lights.

A couple fuses that might be useful to you:

F79 - Clearance Lights - For reasons unknown, this is present and powered even on 1500s and can be tapped. I use it for my air damn lights and plan on using it for the running portion of the side lights. It goes on with the running lights.

F81 - Trailer Right Turn & Brake.
F53 - Trailer Left Turn & Brake.

If you don't want to run wires up from the rear you can tap these at the TIPM (aka fuse box). But the issue with F81 & F53 is that you still need to separate the brake and turn functions to use them with the side lights. Otherwise the turn signal portion will illuminate with the brake lights.

The only way I know of to tap the courtesy lights is to bring the wires into the cab and tap either the front or rear footwell lights or (and I'm less certain about this one's ability to handle the load) the side mirror courtesy lights (aka puddle lights or entry lights).

On older 4th Gen trucks (2009-2012) I have read that you could safely tap the running and turn signal wires to the headlight, but on 2013+ you end up with can-bus errors if you do. Hence my plans to use the F79 Running light circuit and the trailer turn signals (with a separator). Both of my trailers are all LED lighting so the additional load on the circuits will not cause a problem for me.

I'm trying to get my side lights (Recon Big Rig Ice) installed this week, I plan on doing a write up on it to post in the DIY section here.

-K

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah, Sorry, I didn't catch what you wanted to do with them. I'm afraid you're out of luck there. There are no specific fuses for either of those. They are on fuses that handle power to many things, but the actual switching on/off them is in the BCM, it's not something you can tap at the fuse for an add-on like the side lights.

A couple fuses that might be useful to you:

F79 - Clearance Lights - For reasons unknown, this is present and powered even on 1500s and can be tapped. I use it for my air damn lights and plan on using it for the running portion of the side lights. It goes on with the running lights.

F81 - Trailer Right Turn & Brake.
F53 - Trailer Left Turn & Brake.

If you don't want to run wires up from the rear you can tap these at the TIPM (aka fuse box). But the issue with F81 & F53 is that you still need to separate the brake and turn functions to use them with the side lights. Otherwise the turn signal portion will illuminate with the brake lights.

The only way I know of to tap the courtesy lights is to bring the wires into the cab and tap either the front or rear footwell lights or (and I'm less certain about this one's ability to handle the load) the side mirror courtesy lights (aka puddle lights or entry lights).

On older 4th Gen trucks (2009-2012) I have read that you could safely tap the running and turn signal wires to the headlight, but on 2013+ you end up with can-bus errors if you do. Hence my plans to use the F79 Running light circuit and the trailer turn signals (with a separator). Both of my trailers are all LED lighting so the additional load on the circuits will not cause a problem for me.

I'm trying to get my side lights (Recon Big Rig Ice) installed this week, I plan on doing a write up on it to post in the DIY section here.

-K

Thank you! I appreciate your response. Looks like I have some problem solving to do.

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was looking at mufflers online and could not decide what I want, ended up going to the store and picked up a K&N drop in filter, definitely gives a bit of a growl but now I really want a new muffler. Also have an AEM filter on the way will try that out too, whichever one I don’t keep will end up with my father in laws’ express.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was looking at mufflers online and could not decide what I want, ended up going to the store and picked up a K&N drop in filter, definitely gives a bit of a growl but now I really want a new muffler. Also have an AEM filter on the way will try that out too, whichever one I don’t keep will end up with my father in laws’ express.

Borla XS pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Check with Moe's Performance--a preferred vendor on this forum.
Jay

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
So looks like outer tie rods need to be replaced. Question. Is what about the inners. Should I just replace both only 200 in parts have to see how much for install.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So looks like outer tie rods need to be replaced. Question. Is what about the inners. Should I just replace both only 200 in parts have to see how much for install.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

IMHO--yep--but I'm sort of cautious anyway--an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure----
Jay

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Borla XS pro

How does the Borla XS Pro sound with our MDS? Does it sound like crap once the MDS kicks in?

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO--yep--but I'm sort of cautious anyway--an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure----
Jay
^^This. Get it done while it's taken apart.
One and done.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does the Borla XS Pro sound with our MDS? Does it sound like crap once the MDS kicks in?

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

Not at all. A very minor drone if that very hard to hear it. Borla slightly louder then the stock setup at idle it when you hit the gas you really hear the different. I know some guys want something more aggressive but there’s a trade off especially if your like me and you but some mileage on your truck that real aggressive exhaust will have you annoyed.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add a set of 5” tips too while your at it :). YouTube will give you a idea on how the borla sounds.