What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I replaced the weak plastic spur gear in both my outside mirrors with solid steel gears from Grüven Parts. Though only one was broken, the other one was showing stress cracks. It was cheaper to do both at once.

IMG_0176.JPG

Last edited:

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
The only problem with metal instead of plastic is the plastic is designed to take the abuse, metal will not be forgiving! If the plastic does not break what other part will the metal gear cause to break instead. C5 Corvettes have pop up lights, with plastic gears. Have seen people add the metal replacements, the electric drive motor itself failed the next time ($$$). Plastic gears as you said easy to change and not very costly.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The only problem with metal instead of plastic is the plastic is designed to take the abuse, metal will not be forgiving! If the plastic does not break what other part will the metal gear cause to break instead. C5 Corvettes have pop up lights, with plastic gears. Have seen people add the metal replacements, the electric drive motor itself failed the next time ($$$). Plastic gears as you said easy to change and not very costly.

You have a valid point. However, I only folded the mirrors in about a dozen times or so since I bought the truck. One gear has already broken, while the other one is showing signs of stress cracks. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, so I opted to install better gears at this time.

Last edited:

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rust-oleum spray paint. Navy blue gloss. I cleaned it up with a wire brush on an air angle grinder, and sprayed a coat of self-etching primer, let it cure a day, hit it with 2 coats of paint, curing a day each time, and finally a coat of clear. I also put stainless steel flat washers under the bolt heads to prevent them from scraping the paint off.
1710169460255.png

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently have the dash apart to paint the silver/aluminum parts blue to match the exterior. Painting plastic is tough!

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally got warm enough to turn on the ventilated seats. Kids and I cruised around with all the windows open. Now I get to track down my intermittent CEL (P1621). Throws the code at random it seems. Will light the CEL for a week straight, then one day, its gone for a couple days, or maybe a month. :shrug:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got time and decent enough weather to install my switch panel and ditch lights. I had previously installed the grille lights, but hated the way I had wired it up. The panel lets me add more circuits if needed.
PXL_20240312_221300416.jpg
PXL_20240313_214117045.jpg

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Heater core flush and replace the thermostat both apita. The clamps on the firewall are not easy to get at so I separated them at the hard lines and inserted a small piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe in the end and flush them both ways. I used clear vinyl tubing to join the two pieces together and then put clr in for 15 minutes and then flush them again. I turned the clamps so that they were easy to get at next time. The thermostat is one big housing with the thermostat and temperature sensor built in i think it is only 2 bolts but they are apita to.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got my flood lights (rear facing), spot lights (forward/side facing), and off road lights completely rewired. Using an AUXBEAM 8-channel controller - lights are wired up as follows:

Button 1: Front Left spot light
Button 2: Off-road light
Button 3: Forward facing running lights
Button 4: Front Right spot light
Button 5: Rear flood lights (Left and Right)
Button 6: Rear facing off-road light
Button 7: Rear facing running lights
Button 8: Dashcam

Used a 25' long 7-wire trailer cable (cable management with each light wired in individually was insane and impractical) that has 2x 10-gauge, 1x 12-guage, and 4x 14-gauge wires, to run from the AUXBEAM switch control/fuse block, under the carpet on the driver's side, to the lights. Used a separate 10-gauge ground wire to the bed frame.

Video:

Attachments

• TruckWiringDiag.pdf
    228.6 KB · Views: 7

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This past week,I nulled out the throttle controls in the BCM. seemed to make it a little snappier, but nothing to scream about.

That was till yesterday.Had to drive to NY to assist MIL in moving. Was making a left turn and some moron do 65 in a 40 came out of no where and I was going to get tboned. Hit the pedal hard and holy crap...... Truck jumped and lit up the rears ( 20" inchers on the posi rear end) and got out of a bad situation real quick.

I am now a firm believer a little help / trickery is needed to get great throttle response that is hiding in these trucks. Really love this hemi. Saved my bacon

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This past week,I nulled out the throttle controls in the BCM. seemed to make it a little snappier, but nothing to scream about.

That was till yesterday.Had to drive to NY to assist MIL in moving. Was making a left turn and some moron do 65 in a 40 came out of no where and I was going to get tboned. Hit the pedal hard and holy crap...... Truck jumped and lit up the rears ( 20" inchers on the posi rear end) and got out of a bad situation real quick.

I am now a firm believer a little help / trickery is needed to get great throttle response that is hiding in these trucks. Really love this hemi. Saved my bacon

That sounds interesting, could you provide more details?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To Change go into AlfaOBD and follow the steps below:

Body Control Module -> Diagnostics -> Car Configuration Change

ECUConfig14 /Acceleration Threshold: Filter Off Original at 480

ECUConfig14 /Acceleration Factor:
Filter Off Original at 5

Didn't seem to do too much during regular operation, helped but subtle. But being aggressive, WooHoo.