What Do You Think I Will Run In the 1/8th?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
what did i win ?

but also spare tire is heavy ... chuck that to
and your big enough .. you dont need to carry 45 pound dumb bells to curl with while driving ... chuck them

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You can run a full quarter in 4hi, doing that on the street is the ticket, at a good prepped track 2 wheel wins out. On streetnights at richmond I would have to make the fist run in 2 wheel and see what the truck was doing then go from there.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can run a full quarter in 4hi, doing that on the street is the ticket, at a good prepped track 2 wheel wins out. On streetnights at richmond I would have to make the fist run in 2 wheel and see what the truck was doing then go from there.

When I typically do my runs I usually do it in 4wd. I always have gotten better times doing runs in 4 hi but for some reason I forgot to do it this time and as a result my launch stunk.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
My last Data Log session in 4 HI I got some awful vibrating coming from the front shafts so I quit and thought maybe I screwed them only to find out that the new tires were all 4 of them outta balance cause I had some shaking on the Highway too.
Yep wasn't crazy, the tire shop re-balanced them and apologized "we had our machine re-calibrated last week" and your fronts were out the worst. So she's all fixed up now, but will not make anymore runs until the Crazy Spartan and/Or gears are in later in the fall. :chicken:

Ok so I guess my question all along Teach (and I read all the threads) was what is the technique used to counter wheel spin with the LSD and bigger gears and I suppose I have the answer already - 4HI Launch. Now like Truckin has indicated in the past do you feather the gas on launch? or just hold the brake firm then hammer it? or is it a secret? (like the Colonels 7 herbs and spices)...LOL..?? :driver:

P.S. Have fun at the Beach!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now like Truckin has indicated in the past do you feather the gas on launch? or just hold the brake firm then hammer it? or is it a secret? (like the Colonels 7 herbs and spices)...LOL..?? :driver:

When I launch in 4 hi I hold the brake, give it just a little gas (maybe up to 1000) then go. Don't have any wheel spin trouble in 4wd.

Looks like it is going to be a nice one on the beach today!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
My last Data Log session in 4 HI I got some awful vibrating coming from the front shafts so I quit and thought maybe I screwed them only to find out that the new tires were all 4 of them outta balance cause I had some shaking on the Highway too.
Yep wasn't crazy, the tire shop re-balanced them and apologized "we had our machine re-calibrated last week" and your fronts were out the worst. So she's all fixed up now, but will not make anymore runs until the Crazy Spartan and/Or gears are in later in the fall. :chicken:

Ok so I guess my question all along Teach (and I read all the threads) was what is the technique used to counter wheel spin with the LSD and bigger gears and I suppose I have the answer already - 4HI Launch. Now like Truckin has indicated in the past do you feather the gas on launch? or just hold the brake firm then hammer it? or is it a secret? (like the Colonels 7 herbs and spices)...LOL..?? :driver:

You just have to go out and try multiple methods yourself, everyones methods to attemp to avoid wheel spin is going to be different in some way or another. So go out and do a few dozen runs and see how your truck responds and adjust how much or how little you get on it and dial it in. Doing it on the street is sooooo much easier than at the track though if its not prepped right. If I hit it hard right off the launch it flashes up to about 3000rpm and goes sideways, fun but not good for an y sort of timing (well at least on street tires, the slicks should counter that :D), so I get it up to about the 2k mark which is not hard with the gears and TC by any means and then hammer it from there to avoid as much tire hop and wheel spin as I can. On the road I only do about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle so it hooks and is straight and then I give it hell. It really is trial and error so the more practice you can get the better.

When I launch in 4 hi I hold the brake, give it just a little gas (maybe up to 1000) then go. Don't have any wheel spin trouble in 4wd.

Looks like it is going to be a nice one on the beach today!

Yeah but your missing a few things still, you dont have the bigger gears or higher stall TC in there just yet so you are still leaving quite a bit on the table. Once you get those in your launch methods are going to have to change a bit cause I doubt that you'll be able to do a normal run and keep the back end straight.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah but your missing a few things still, you dont have the bigger gears or higher stall TC in there just yet so you are still leaving quite a bit on the table. Once you get those in your launch methods are going to have to change a bit cause I doubt that you'll be able to do a normal run and keep the back end straight.

I doubt I am ever going to be making the power to get this truck sideways when I launch in 4 hi.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
You dont need a lot of power just a bit more tq. also depends on the tires too.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Thanks Guys, was just wonderin what the different approaches were!

Trup.. I did my best 0-60 time 6.59 in 4 Hi and then after letting off the gas just shifted back into 2wd, no Probs. I think Kenneth mentioned earlier you can do 1/4 miles and Teach did an 1/8. I mean when you are abusing the 4wd that much the Dodge handbook in the glove box becomes obsolete. IMO it's prolly hard on the halfshafts for sure, so when your morning coffee starts to spill in the drink holder its time to changem out, simple as that. Try a run in 4Hi and you might get a new Data Log Time that will have you howling.. :Grenade:

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive never tried a 4w hi launch. So this is safe? How fast can I safely go in 4w hi? Like what's a top speed?

I try to do all of my 0-60 runs in 4 hi and haven't had a problem yet. Have not done an 1/8 in 4 hi but I will next time I do one.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Even though you are shifting the lever out of 4hi to 2 wheel the tranfer case is still under to much load unitl you let out of the throttle to disengage. For lifted guys its more sketch if you front shafts are at an angle, hence why I took my torsion keys off when I got to racing more. If you read the owners manual 4hi is for 60 and below 4lo is for 15 or 20 tops. When I do sand drags I run 4lo to 55 56 but its soft sand clay mix. At Richmond my truck has been 90 91 in 4hi. Not sure if its a right way to think of it but think of all the full time 4wheel drive stuff running the interstats all day long.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Danny I bet with the TMR delet you can romp it hard out of the hole in 4hi, my best 60 foot was in 4hi launching at 1,200 which was a 2.1 I believe but that was with my current set up, new set up im looking for a 1.9 this fall.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I was wondering where this thread went. I took it too the streets with the 4 hi. And a mileage xs tune, with lowered shift points and a 5900 rev limiter. Managed a 8.21 but I really did not get on her like I normally would. I think IO could get In the high &'s but I too don't think wot to the 1/8th or quarter n mile is the way too go. in 4 hi. I would much rather bake up my tires get a good grip and lett her rip. Other wise I'd get it dyno'ed.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Here's an update. Mileage xs tune , full tank of 89,O/d off. preloaded 2500. tc. foot to the floor, brake off simultaneously.
run8-23.jpg

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do a distance run next time rocket so we can see your 1/8 and 1/4 time.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Oh you know it. problem #1 is where? I live in a crowded area, To do a run and end up doing next to a 100. I gotta be pretty much alone.This state blows plain and simple. There is absolutely no where to go. I have too find a lonely stretch of road in the wee hours too pull it off.Rest assured I will get it done. and post up. hopefully not out on bail at the time.lol

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh you know it. problem #1 is where? I live in a crowded area, To do a run and end up doing next to a 100. I gotta be pretty much alone.This state blows plain and simple. There is absolutely no where to go. I have too find a lonely stretch of road in the wee hours too pull it off.Rest assured I will get it done. and post up. hopefully not out on bail at the time.lol

Here is what I found works well when you can't find a lonely stretch of road. Pull off to the side of the highway and wait for a break in traffic. Then just give it the gas. The good thing about doing it on the highway is that to run the 1/8 you are going to top out in the high 70's, so you will barely be speeding.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If you're gonna get a ticket make it worth while.

Cop rubbernecks as ya go by and says screw it I ain't touchin that. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank