2018 RAM 1500 2WD V6 Gas Engine - How Do You Know When To Change The Spark Plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Truck #1: 2018 RAM1500 3.6L V6 2WD Extended CAB - ~47,000 miles - Purchased in January 2018 - 3.55 Axle
Truck #2: 2018 RAM1500 3.6L V6 2WD Short REG CAB - ~69,000 miles - Purchased in August 2018 - 3.21 Axle

How do you determine when to replace the Spark Plugs?

The mileage has slipped on both trucks.

Highway MPG:

Truck #1 New: 22 mpg, Current: ~ 20.5 mpg
Truck #2 New: 21 mpg, Current: ~ 20.0 mpg

In each truck (Near Future), I plan to run through one tank of gas with two (2) cans of Sea Foam added.

In the past, I have used Sea Foam a few times.

Thanks in Advance.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Recommendation on the Hemi is 100k miles. Not sure if it is the same for the V6. Download the RAM toolbox app, it has all of the scheduled maintenance listed in it.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There are other maintenance items like fluids that can affect you mileage too. I've seen pretty significant mpg increase by changing out factory transmission and differential fluids. (transfer case too but you dont have one) Tire tread depth can also affect mpg. New tires will be taller than worn tires which will affect mpg. Wheel bearing can get worn, u-joints, etc. I wouldn't say not to change the plugs, but it may only be partially to blame.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can follow the recommended intervals according to the user manual(s), but if you don't have faith in them, change them now. For the cost of a few bucks, peace of mind wouldn't hurt. If you are worried about mileage, as @joesstripclub said, there are a bunch of things that can affect that. Make sure that your tire pressure is at recommended levels, and that your air cleaner, and oil changes have been done regularly. I just decided to bite the bullet and ended up springing for an Amsoil oil change last time around on both my trucks (21 Ram and 12 Chevy), and will see how that goes. After the Amsoil change, the oil pressure in the Ram went from (at idle) mid to low 60 PSI to mid 50s, so to me, that means that the oil is flowing around a little easier. I can't tell on the Silverado, because it doesn't have the same info available as the Warlock.

On a previous vehicle (mid 90s Lumina), I used a treatment of ZMax, and from that point, it started getting roughly 26 more miles a tank full of gas. You might consider something like that as well, and since it only says to do it every 6k miles, could give it a shot 1 or 2x and see. When I started using ZMax on the Chevy (I was not first owner), it idled noticeably lower than before the additive. Ran a few tank fulls of gas through it before then, to sort of get a baseline impression.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Variations in the amount of ethanol in the gas you buy will have a direct effect on your MPG as does ambient temperature and humidity. The more ethanol the less chemical energy which means you use more to achieve the same travel. While this may not be the only issue, it can be a contributor.