New truck, leaks & rattles, sprayed in the face with water driving down highway...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bergius, really sounds like you have a lousy dealer. Can you try another?

jerm53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think the dealer would have replaced all interior trim and headliner items that was in contact with water, especially the carpet and underpadding. Or at least removed it so everything can dry out. You have options, call Ram Cares and see if they will assist in a resolution. I doubt you'll recover any losses as a result of issue, e.g. personal time or financial. Seems they should have at least given you a loaner while dealer had the truck in for warranty work. File a complaint with your state's attorney's general office consumer affairs, or whoever in your state handles that agency, against the dealer. May not help, but will at least get someone's attention and how they're going to resolve the issue. Other legal avenues as well, but now your getting into realm of money coming out of your pocket and the judgement outcome may not be in your favor. It always a gamble going up against a corporation with presumably unlimited litigation resources. You state's lemon law, if applicable, but time may have passed on that one. These provisions are not consumer friendly because of the short periods of time and limitations of what's actually subject to the law.

Sell it. The used vehicle market is crazy and you may be able to get what you owe on it plus some. However, getting another truck equipped with what you need/want may be impossible for short term. Good luck with a favorable resolution.
I have a 2019 quad cab warlock with the infamous 3rd brake light leak and was told they wont replace headliner, but will try to clean it...

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a 2019 quad cab warlock with the infamous 3rd brake light leak and was told they wont replace headliner, but will try to clean it...
If that is the dealer's remedy, fine. But if they can't "clean" it, and I assuming there is an obvious water stain or has warped, it should be replaced under the basic warranty. They are either trying to run the clock out on the basic warranty or don't want to fool with it. Have you tried a different dealer? Did dealer get the HMSL issue fixed?

jerm53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If that is the dealer's remedy, fine. But if they can't "clean" it, and I assuming there is an obvious water stain or has warped, it should be replaced under the basic warranty. They are either trying to run the clock out on the basic warranty or don't want to fool with it. Have you tried a different dealer? Did dealer get the HMSL issue fixed?
only did a temp fix on the HMSL, have to wait for the replacement part lol, has obvious stains on both sides its a gray headliner, i have an appointment with another dealer..

Hellcatsrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had to take my 2015 in for the water leaking issues. They had to replace the sunroof due to the seal on it and allegedly install new drains to the tune of $424.
I wish I had not gotten a sunroof on my cat now. As someone mentioned maybe a regular cleaning of those tubes with the weed whip line is in our futures.

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quite simply stated, it is not the same company it used to be since it became Stelantis.
I agree with the original poster about the potential for future electronic issues.
I would be more concerned with possible mold issues in the headliner, carpets and padding. Health issues from prolonged mold exposure are not to be takes lightly.
Everything that got wet (and stayed wet) should be replaced.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Every RAM dealer is weeks behind on loaners. Customer care case handler won’t return my calls/voicemails - daily for a week now. Reached someone about my case and they say they can offer $40/day for a rental. Current rental rates are $95-100/day from Enterprise for the cheapest car on the lot. So in order to not be forced to completely drop my life and daily transportation, I need to come out of pocket $60/day for a vehicle I already pay $1100/month for.

Unreal.
go trade it in for another ram i know it’s not what you want to hear but they should give you equal money for it an you’ll be done

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason you don’t buy a sunroof. The drain tube runs down the pillar and when clogged that’s where the water comes out at. Several times a year I would pour water in the sunroof tray to ensure there was no clogs.

My Jeep Wrangler is water light with a removable top, go figure.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, I understand that, but the reason for the post is simple. I wish I had known these things before purchasing. Show me one owner's review that reflects on anything I've hit on that actually has a target audience of potential buyers. Certainly none that I read or was able to find, despite actually looking. Yet here we are, and come to find out, there's plenty of posts if you search for that specific issue. If no one takes the time to write up their experience purchasing a new RAM, then plenty of people will follow suit just like I did and purchase a truck, not realizing they didn't make an informed purchase.

I focused all of my attention toward H.O. vs. S.O. (Aisin vs 68RFE) and did not think about other flaws. My Power Wagon was absolutely perfect, I had high hopes and no reason to think otherwise, and I was so focused on powertrain reliability instead of issues that weren't often discussed on forums and would ultimately impact my life. Quite frankly, there's not a single owner review that I heard or read about the truck that I purchased indicating that this became an issue, yet now that I have it, it pops up like crazy when specifically searched on the forums. I'm all about informed purchases. I hope that your truck has been nothing but amazing for you, because if it weren't for these few major issues and particularly how poorly they're being handled, I'd be telling everyone how great it is.

Bottom line too, RAM's refusal to correct any of this except the leak itself is what has me most upset. For an issue that's been common for quite some time, they didn't fix it in production, and they expect me to foot the bill for everything except the defect itself. That alone is enough to convince me it's not worth buying from FCA again. And it's something other owners should be aware of, especially someone who's on the fence about purchasing. Trucks aren't Lambos, these aren't meant to be luxury items, even the Limited trim with a sunroof should be a solid work truck. Some of us are here because we bought a heavy duty truck for heavy duty use, and may even make a living running the truck.

More than likely I'm going to keep the truck. I'm not happy about it. I'd take a new one without a sunroof if they had the decency to lemon law this one out. Don't be fooled by the post, I'm in love with the truck, but this experience needs to be known and has put a sour taste in my mouth to say the least. It's tough to stomach the fact that you love a product, and would buy one again because of how much you love it, but the people who you have to rely on to handle problems suck.

Honestly if someone meets this post with distaste, disrespect, or ridicule, they probably fall in the category of people who should be counting their blessings. Someone down the road from my house had all these problems and more with his brand new truck.
Just curious,, did you research weather the truck was wrecked thru its vin number?

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
100%--I too would take issue if the wouldn't fix the CAUSE, and you stated they did. Nobody replaces parts the "might" break down (probably will-but it's like the dealer not repeating a noise you hear, not an issue at this time, philosophy)-Ford had my truck in the 80s for 93 days straight-no loaner for engine belt squeal and paint-got it back, started it and had Power Steering fluid went everywhere-they forgot to put the cap on the pump and advised me white paint will turn cream color in a year-I felt so dumb as I didn't know that, LOL-We all hope for the best, and you the best-If you're going to get an ulcer over it, sell the truck now for the peace of mind. At least get a third-party warranty from one of the many companies offering them. It may cost a few bucks, however it's the peace of mind that counts. Personally, never have and never will buy a sunroof because of horror stories and it doesn't seem right to cut a hole in the roof.

Hope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I, read this and fall more in love with my 2005, 3500 diesel long bed…. 142,000 miles…
no sun roof, he’s a good boy! BIG RED IS hubbies truck

now I’m scared, just ordered a blue 1500, diesel with sun roof, short bed for me, I hope “BETTY JANE” will be a long keeper, sassy truck, with no leaks

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn’t be too disappointed if I could clean these once every couple of months to prevent the issue. But with it being only the second time it’s rained in a few weeks since picking it up, it’s almost like it would require daily cleaning during rain season. For whatever reason I love to have a sunroof. Thanks for sharing!
This has been an issue in here and with the sliding back glass so maybe they should check those and the rails.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long is this basic warranty as I have 30k on a 2015 and now have stains on each corner of my headliner.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate to read stuff like this-you basically purchased a truck as expensive as a home and company won't stand behind it. Haven't seen your posts for a bit so I imagine you got rid of it. Not much else you can do at this point.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How long is this basic warranty as I have 30k on a 2015 and now have stains on each corner of my headliner.
The basic warranty is 3 years or 36k miles, which ever you reach first. So it expired on your truck approximately 4 years ago, depending on when it was first purchased.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The basic warranty is 3 years or 36k miles, which ever you reach first. So it expired on your truck approximately 4 years ago, depending on when it was first purchased.
Wonder if I can detail headliner get rid of stains

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wonder if I can detail headliner get rid of stains
I've read that you can remove water stains from headliners with a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. In fact, I've seen before and after pics, and you couldn't tell there was ever any stains there. I don't know the ratio though, but I'm sure you'll find lots of info it you search the internet.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read that you can remove water stains from headliners with a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. In fact, I've seen before and after pics, and you couldn't tell there was ever any stains there. I don't know the ratio though, but I'm sure you'll find lots of info it you search the internet.
I’ll have to check it out my other worry is if there is a issue with mold.

jhjohnstone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMMINS
I have a 2019 RAM 2500 Limited, My sunroof also leaks on the driver's side from time to time, especially after a heavy rain where the water comes in faster than it goes out the drain.

Here is what I do to mitigate that: I park outside and at certain times of the year there is debris from Oak flowers and their pollen. That stuff gets into the drain tube and clogs the drain. So I try not to park under the oak tree in the spring.

The second thing I have found is that if you park with the front of the truck elevated more than the rear, the water drains better from the rear drains.

The final thing is I run a wire or string trimmer line down my front drain holes about twice a year to keep them clean.

These things do not eliminate the leak but they minimize the water collecting in the sunroof drain channels that spill over into the cab interior.

Livinthedream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would see if you can order a new truck at the dealer that’s fixing it and trade it to them.. let it be their problem

Mark