What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteelyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guess I found something else I don't like. The seat covers on my truck seem to be zipped up with zippers rather than sewn together. Feels pretty cheap on a $38,000 truck....

Shep98

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7L
I love my 2011 Ram 1500 as well. Not a complaint but I did notice an issue that MoparMulisha mentioned. I have a leak that happens from time to time at the rear glass. Sometimes its on the upper left corner and sometimes on the upper right corner. Mostly it happens in a car wash or a driving rain but not always. Is the leak coming from the 3rd tail light as mentioned previously? Suggestions to correct leak... gasket, silicone, etc.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my 2011 Ram 1500 as well. Not a complaint but I did notice an issue that MoparMulisha mentioned. I have a leak that happens from time to time at the rear glass. Sometimes its on the upper left corner and sometimes on the upper right corner. Mostly it happens in a car wash or a driving rain but not always. Is the leak coming from the 3rd tail light as mentioned previously? Suggestions to correct leak... gasket, silicone, etc.

Yup, most likely 3rd brake light. I scraped off the old ****** gasket and put this one on from Home Depot. There's a little writeup on the other forum with pics and stuff, although it's pretty self explanatory.

Attachments

• 2011-07-17121307.jpg
    2011-07-17121307.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 2011-07-17121327.jpg
    2011-07-17121327.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 211

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Headlight output blows.

I've had a few rams in the past so I went into the 2014 with just about everything I wanted and am quite pleased with it.

I wish they would add a option for open sunroof notification when you remove the key. Out afternoon thunderstorms can sneak up and dump inches of rain.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thepopeofpoland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dislikes:

oem projectors are not real HID's. They suck

No tailgate assist..... hate gates that slam down.

Too many rams on the road. I love mine, but dont feel that special since i see the rams everywhere now :)

Ordered mine from the factory new in 13 so I feel like people are copying which is the sincerest form of flattery. Slap I think people are finally realizing the major steps that have been taken to improve the vehicle in general.

Only down side I MO is location of the oil filter on the 4x4 1500 with the hemi. Who thinks to put it right above the from axles.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of the items already listed, I will add my amen to:

• MDS - they should give you a way to completely turn it off other than having to spend $1000 on a tuner/PCM..........

• Hitting the shift button on the steering wheel (putting it into "8th") will turn off the MDS.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what I wonder- why you don't like the MDS? I don't even notice it while I'm driving- but I do, when I look at my mpg- positively.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is such piddly little stuff--I've had my RAM for 3.5 years and still love it.
Here goes:
1) Gawdawfully Dim Quad Headlights
2) Over active MDS. System is good in theory and failed in application. Nothing worse than needing a goose of speed and having to wait (forever) for a downshift and rev-up, or mash the pedal to the floor to get some zoom, when all I wanted was a couple more MPH to make a lane change.
3) Lack of ability to organize/playlist music files once copied to HDD on the 430N.
4) Default to Sirius on restart if you were listening to media. I cancelled Sirius and I hate their promo channel!!!!! :biggun:

Last edited:

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No idea what you're talking about.

YES!! Really bugs me at night time - there is a constant reflection in the side windows from the overhead ambient light source. I've seriously considered trying to black it out but I'm afraid it won't hold up and then it will look bad directly as well as indirectly.

BW stands for Borg Warner... I believe he is referring to a transfer case.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hitting the shift button on the steering wheel (putting it into "8th") will turn off the MDS.

Only until you shift out of D.

There's even a hack for turning off the seat belt chime permanently (which is a potential safety issue), why not MDS?

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
what I wonder- why you don't like the MDS?

Sounds terrible! Like you have a 4 cylinder misfire (which you do...)!!

Granted, I hardly noticed it with the stock exhaust. But with an 18" Magnaflow it is obnoxious.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mostly Nitpick Stuff

Feel like I made the best decision I could at the time, given the info I had. That said, these things bug me:

1) Build quality - there's a new squeak or rattle every week. I buy felt tape by the 50' roll from Amazon to fix these.

2) Resale value - lowest of the big 3.

3) Really, really crappy projector lenses. They're a long way from optically clear and have horrible blind & hot spots. As folks have already mentioned, no HID standard? Really??

4) No bumper step. Good feature on GM trucks for short folk.

5) No dampened tailgate. I think RAM is the only one on the market now with a tailgate that is this heavy to open/close.

6) Low payload. Meh - the tradeoff when I bought was substantially better ride than competition. Unfortunately, comp has narrowed the gap to parity w/in 12 months.

7) Rear floor not flat. To be fair, Ford only got this last year but it makes a world of difference.

8) Tranny bulge into passenger footwell. This sucks but I'll live; my wife is a great sport about this but had I sat in the passenger seat when I bought things might have turned out differently.

9) No cabin air filter. Again. Really?

10) No ceiling-mounted assist handles. So cheap to implement and so many uses - why the eff not?

11) UConnect gremlins. Here one day, gone the next.

12) Dial shifter (as opposed to column). Tried to get used to it but just don't like it.

13) Dome lights cannot be disabled without disabling all interior lights. This is really annoying and surprising. You can do this on a $15K Honda.

14) Interior LED lights (dome, floor, etc.) are prohibitively complex/expensive to replace. Maybe not everyone wants super white or blue - those colors suck for night vision.

15) Tranny clunking in certain scenarios. I feel like this will be a serious problem eventually.

16) Cannot replace tranny fluid/filter w/o replacing entire pan. This feels like engineered obsolescence.

17) 15K mile recommended differential fluid change interval. This is worse than my freaking rally car!

18) Cannot replace headlight bulbs w/o removing grill. OMG, what a PITA!

19) No turn signals in mirrors for vehicles in blind spots. Competition has had this for a while now.

20) No blind spot monitoring. Ditto.

21) Boomy & bass-heavy stereo; would much prefer a flatter frequency response.

It's a still a good truck - I like driving it more than any other vehicle I've owned (including the rally car). I take care of it religiously but I get the feeling it's just a matter of time before it strands me somewhere (looking at you, Mr. 8HP70).

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
18) Cannot replace headlight bulbs w/o removing grill. OMG, what a PITA!

Actually, you can remove and replace the headlights without removing the grill.

There is just one bolt that is not easily accessible with the grill in place. You just need an extension of about 10-12" to access it from the top with the grill in place. You do have to finagle the pod a bit to get it out, as it's kind of a tight fit with the grill there, but it can be done, and the little bit of extra effort is well worth not having to remove the top fascia and grill IMO.

Getting it back in is a little more tricky. But notice that there is a "holder" for the bolt, so that the bolt does not need to come all the way out to remove the pod. Make sure that the bolt is in position when you put the pod back in, put your socket down from the top again, and there you go.

I recently had to move a ballast on one side because it was in the way of the vertical adjustment bolt. Total time to remove the headlight, remove the ballast, drill some new holes and relocate the ballast, put everything back together again, adjust the headlight, put all tools away etc, was under 40 minutes.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

14) Interior LED lights (dome, floor, etc.) are prohibitively complex/expensive to replace. Maybe not everyone wants super white or blue - those colors suck for night vision.

I just used some red Lamin-X to tint the two map and footwell lights. Makes for excellent night vision on the factory LED housings.

68019ea90ca86389ccf87fa0e0ad8000.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just used some red Lamin-X to tint the two map and footwell lights. Makes for excellent night vision on the factory LED housings.

68019ea90ca86389ccf87fa0e0ad8000.jpg

Exactly my solution too. Yours looks much better than mine does.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, you can remove and replace the headlights without removing the grill.

There is just one bolt that is not easily accessible with the grill in place. You just need an extension of about 10-12" to access it from the top with the grill in place. You do have to finagle the pod a bit to get it out, as it's kind of a tight fit with the grill there, but it can be done, and the little bit of extra effort is well worth not having to remove the top fascia and grill IMO.

Getting it back in is a little more tricky. But notice that there is a "holder" for the bolt, so that the bolt does not need to come all the way out to remove the pod. Make sure that the bolt is in position when you put the pod back in, put your socket down from the top again, and there you go.

I recently had to move a ballast on one side because it was in the way of the vertical adjustment bolt. Total time to remove the headlight, remove the ballast, drill some new holes and relocate the ballast, put everything back together again, adjust the headlight, put all tools away etc, was under 40 minutes.

Yeah I hear you. But 40 min, c'mon. Look at competition:

1) Open Hood
2) Unplug bulb harness from the bulb socket
3) Twist bulb out
4) Replace bulb
5) Plug in bulb harness
6) Close hood

Total time: 90 seconds

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Exactly my solution too. Yours looks much better than mine does.
The trick is to put the tint strip behind the inner lens on the back side of the reflector.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

1) Open Hood
3) Twist bulb out
4) Replace bulb
5) Plug in bulb harness
6) Close hood

My wife's Altima requires that you remove the front wheels to change bulbs.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
4th Gen. "dislikes"?

1) Open Hood

3) Twist bulb out

4) Replace bulb

5) Plug in bulb harness

6) Close hood

He didn't say it was 40 minutes to change the headlight. It was 40 minutes to take the headlight out and remount the ballast, put tools away, etc... Read man, read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk