What exhaust should I go with, need some opinions Please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zk6216

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 Ram Sport Reg. Cab Short Bed
Engine
5.9L 360
Got a question and just want some advice I have a 97 ram short bed black regular cab with a 5.9 in it, my cat is starting to go rattles on accel, so i figured i might as well do my exhaust now but am not sure who or what i wanna go with, do i want duals or just one pipe, i want a deep tone to it and to sound good, should i go with a stock cat or high flow? I am an expierenced tech so doing the work is not a problem but i wanna make sure i get a good exhaust and am looking for some opinions here our some i looked at but i would like your guys help as well ... Thank you!

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
True duals are cool, but unless your pushing mad power, you might as well just stick to the SI/DO. Cats are really your choice based on your states emissions and how much you want the exhaust to smell out others. Really no effect on sounds, but maybe a slight performance boost.

I've always had magnaflow mufflers, and loved the sound, so that's what I recommend.

OP
OP
Z

zk6216

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Thanks

Thanks a lot man, where is a good place to buy magnaflow is there a place better than others or just anywhere? also what is SI/DO mean just asking Thank you Though!

Zak

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
I've got a thrush glasspack, sounds great I love it. It's also depending on how loud you want it too.
My glasspack isn't too loud, but it's not too quiet, it has a nice deep rumble, and the best part, they're cheap!

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot man, where is a good place to buy magnaflow is there a place better than others or just anywhere? also what is SI/DO mean just asking Thank you Though!

Zak

Single in/dual out means theres one inlet into the muffler and 2 outlets making it a dual exhaust. I purchased my magnaflow from auto anything. they will match your price if you find a cheaper muffler or anything on other sites. but they still have good prices as is

OP
OP
Z

zk6216

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I looked on magnaflow's website they only make an exhaust for a longer bed i have a regular cab short bed =(

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
Just order the muffler and take your truck to a local muffler shop, maybe see if they can make a pipe for you?

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
Most muffler shops will be pretty cool about making the pipes and not installing them, if you really want to do the work yourself. I took mine to a local shop to buy a tailpipe and put it on myself.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did a Single In/Dual Out Magnaflow muffler and had new pipes made by the local shop. It worked out great.

96ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently just purchased and installed a Magnaflow system on my truck. Its a single rear passenger side exit. All i can say it wow, the performance difference from the Flowmaster to the Magnaflow is ridiculous. At first the maganaflow is quiet, but after ya run it a couple times is gettin louder. Has a nice deep tone to it when just drivin, and when ya jump on it it has the nice loud tone. Its 3" pipe all the way back.

96ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also got my system on Amazon, they had the cheapest dealer on there.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I am a Magnaflow dealer .. if you have a certain part number .. shoot me a PM . My prices are lower than most .

OP
OP
Z

zk6216

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Thank You

Thank you guys for all your input!

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I've always thought you can't improve on the sound of a mopar small black. I put a set of shorty headers on my 98 Ram 4x4 that bolt to the stock headpipes, and simply cut the headpipes where they went into the single converter, and connected exhaust pipe to each one, and ran them both over the axle and out the back in the stock location. True duals with unimpeded flow, and that great mopar sound, mellow rumble at an idle, throaty, crackling growl during normal acceleration, and during wide open throttle (3000- 6000 rpms) that nascar scream. I did have to get adapters to weld on at the joint between the two sections of pipe with screw terminals for my o2 sensors. But the throttle response is unbeatable and there is quite an improvement in fuel economy with no cats or mufflers. (27 mpg highway at 65 mph) More pulling power when towing too. And I get tons of compliments everywhere I go in the truck on the sound. Everyone wants to know what mufflers or exhaust sytem I'm using, and when I tell them its just drag pipes, they are usually surprised.

streak379

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Unless you have someone pushing you ... I think 27mpg is a bold claim...especially with an automatic transmission and 285"s ... I have a 5 speed 5.2 with 31"s and a cat back exhaust and I get 19 at best doing 60mph

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I have checked the fuel economy many times, 26-27 @ steady 65 mph on the highway. However, I think it's probably due to more than simply restriction free exhaust. I'm running MSD ignition with 8mm wires, ram air induction to gather plenty of cold air from outside the hood, we've dropped the engine temp to 130-140 degrees with hotter platinum 4 plugs to allow for 4 degrees of timing advance, K & N hi flow air filter, and mods were made via the computer to affect timing and mixture curves. The transmissions shift points were modified as well to balance power and fuel economy, shift points are now (during normal acceleration) first to second @ 25, 2nd to 3rd @ 40, and 3rd to overdrive @ 51, the trans does not shift early if you are going slow, as during city driving in heavy traffic, or when driving offroad in uneven terrain, when you let off the gas and it is in one of the lower gears, the torque converter freewheels so the rpm's drop and you coast, and locks back up and resumes the same gear and rpm when you push on the gas again. Basically, it's not just a matter of running straight pipe or getting rid of the thermostat when dealing with the more modern electronically controlled engines, it's making modifications that work together to acheive more power and better mileage, i.e. exhaust, cooling, ignition, transmission. When you radically alter one, you have to make changes to the rest to really achieve significant improvements. Interestingly enough, I have noticed a sideline benefit of running the engine extremely cool while using hotter plugs and improved airflow to increase the combustion temps in the cylinders... Little or no oil related deposit buildup in the engine, as running this cool does not break down oil additives if changed regularly, and very little carbon and related combustion chamber deposits. Spark plugs and piston tops, valves etc, are just covered in a light grey ash, little or no black carbon. I have pulled apart engines with well over 200,000 miles on them, and friends who looked at the heads and pistons couldn't believe they had more than 30,000 on them because they were so clean. This probably also contributes in part to the extremely long service life I get from most of my vehicles, even when driven and revved hard.
Dave

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
Cherry bomb glasspack sounds good on those. My Father in law has one on his 96 Dakota/5.2 and it sounds mean