What have you broken while wheeling and how

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
In a bid to find the weak links on my pw i would like to know what other people have broken where you doing something wrong or is it something that needs to be addressed

HW285PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2020 and so far the driveshaft smashes easy, body panels, rocker panels and headlights and taillights also don’t fair well against trees and rocks. Otherwise you’ll be good.

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
That’s why I built rock sliders lol but you are right it doesn’t protect body panels or lights

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 and so far the driveshaft smashes easy, body panels, rocker panels and headlights and taillights also don’t fair well against trees and rocks. Otherwise you’ll be good.

the driveshaft is only thin walled aluminum so of course it has very little impact resistance. i thought that was common knowledge but apparently not.
what other brand of truck can crash the body panels into rocks and go undamaged ?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Back in my immature days (1990-ish) I had a 1979 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 2" lift and a warmed over 350. It had a small crane cam, aluminum intake and Edelbrock carb with headers. I built the motor myself and probably had a couple thousand miles on it by this time. Left a bar one night with friends and went to a local mud hole. There was a long pit about 50-75' long. Being a little on the drunk side I put it in 4 lo and floored it. Truck bogged and stalled. Buddy that was with me couldn't pull me out so next day my cousin came out with his F250 and pulled me out. Had to replace the battery cause it wouldn't start that day. Truck wouldn't run right so pulled valve covers and had a couple of bent pushrods. Replaced those and engine was fine. Shortly after the transfer case started making noise so replaced that too. Buddy said it sounded like I hit about 7000 RPM before I hit that hole...lol. That was the last time I off-roaded anything

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Because this is my daily driver I won’t be sending it but I don’t want to walk home because I got stuck

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in my immature days (1990-ish) I had a 1979 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 2" lift and a warmed over 350. It had a small crane cam, aluminum intake and Edelbrock carb with headers. I built the motor myself and probably had a couple thousand miles on it by this time. Left a bar one night with friends and went to a local mud hole. There was a long pit about 50-75' long. Being a little on the drunk side I put it in 4 lo and floored it. Truck bogged and stalled. Buddy that was with me couldn't pull me out so next day my cousin came out with his F250 and pulled me out. Had to replace the battery cause it wouldn't start that day. Truck wouldn't run right so pulled valve covers and had a couple of bent pushrods. Replaced those and engine was fine. Shortly after the transfer case started making noise so replaced that too. Buddy said it sounded like I hit about 7000 RPM before I hit that hole...lol. That was the last time I off-roaded anything
So to add to this. The buddy that was with me that night had the same truck as me but a 1978 and it was a stick with a worn clutch. When he tried to pull me out his clutch just smoked. The next day my cousin and buddy came out with his 1986 F250 and pulled me out. Another buddy came out with his newish 1989 F150. Even with bent pushrods I still ran the truck that day and we played in the mud some more. My cousin left his truck parked the rest of the day. I'll see if I can find the old pics of that day. He had Sport Kings on his truck and I was very impressed with those so bought them for me next truck. Loved those tires. Not sure if the even still make them.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
What year? The drag link is a part I’d replace not only because of the recall and separation issues. But they bend easy. Other than that rams are pretty solid. I’ve found that the 5.7 and 6.4 seem to be easier on parts than the Cummins due to weight/power differences.

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I replaced the steering components as soon as I got the recall rams solution was to weld the jam but to the adjuster nut wtf

Keith67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would say the front diff cover is pretty exposed. It doesn’t take much to smack the bottom of the diff on a rock and bend the cover. My truck is stock expect for a Carli front diff guard. Funny thing the weekend after I installed it I drove right into a rock I didn’t see…*crunch*…the guard took the hit thankfully.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So to add to this. The buddy that was with me that night had the same truck as me but a 1978 and it was a stick with a worn clutch. When he tried to pull me out his clutch just smoked. The next day my cousin and buddy came out with his 1986 F250 and pulled me out. Another buddy came out with his newish 1989 F150. Even with bent pushrods I still ran the truck that day and we played in the mud some more. My cousin left his truck parked the rest of the day. I'll see if I can find the old pics of that day. He had Sport Kings on his truck and I was very impressed with those so bought them for me next truck. Loved those tires. Not sure if the even still make them.
Here is a pic. That is me looking down at the ground and my cousin walking towards his truck. My other buddy Shawn was taking the pic. My cousin died last year at about 47 in his sleep. Those 2 were hardcore Ford guys and Shawn had a Ford shirt on. I have one pic of him standing there with Bud pointing at his Ford shirt and they are laughing...lol

Danny-Bud-and-Shawn.jpg

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
It says on the carli website that the diff cover needs modified to fit the pw if it does did you do that and what was it

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure about the Carli but the Maple Offroad diff guard fit my PW with no modification. I also have their PW 3 bar place replacement skid. Highly recommend.

eta: Just noticed you are in Canada, so is Maple Offroad.