What is your cold oil and coolant temp ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScoFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco-diesel
I have a 2015 eco diesel. I’ve been looking at my fluid temperatures lately being the wintertime and noticed when my truck is off and it’s like -10 degrees C outside my oil and coolant show 40 degrees C, every morning both the same. Everything else show normal below zero temps.
I thought my sensors were out but when I drive it they do increment and do so independently.
A guy at work who was having block heater troubles has he same truck and his oil and coolant show below zero. His is a 2018 model.
He said something must be wrong with my sensors.
I took it in and they confirmed with trucks on the lot they say 40 degrees C when off.
It would be nice to know if your block heater was warming things up.

What are yours? Can someone check please?ecodiesel.jpg

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
My 2012 will just read "<100" with engine off and/or on until it surpasses that threshold. same thing.

Plug in your block heater on a cold day. Wait one hour, then feel the engine block and compare the relative temperature of the block to other steel parts on the vehicle.

With heater still warmed, unplug it and check ohms. Place multimeter probe on each prong 0 ohms=bad heater. 20-30ohms= ideal

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With the 7" Multipage EVIC the coolant temp will the actual temp but the oil temp <122°F(50°C). If the block heater is working, the engine will registering temp pretty quick.
Consider putting a WiFi Smart switch with energy monitoring to turn your block heat on/off. You can program it to turn on a couple of hours before you need to leave.
The EcoDiesel block heater should show about 420 watts(3.5 amps) when it's on.
My buddy uses one of these for his CTD: Wemo Insight Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DBXNYCS/
I use Z-Wave version that is incorporated with my home automation system.