what STATION YOU GETTING YOUR GASOLINE FROM (top tier or no)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also use Sheetz, for the same reason. 93 is the same price as 87. I use a high octane tune to get the benefit of the 93 and it also nets me an extra mpg avg. while towing.
For what its worth to all of you, I had to datalog for my custom tuner, Hemifever, this week. After he reviewed the logs he said whatever fuel I was using, keep getting it from that station. The only place I fuel is a Sheetz near my house. Decent priced 93 and chili dawgs!!:peace:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Costo is still listed as a Top Tier Brand...

I remains to be seen if they are able to get the additive in our region. Again, I'm not going to walk a long ways to look at their crowded pump and parking lot. There's only a couple of them here in our metro area of 3.5 million people anyway.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I went by a shady Mobil with no TT logos, then an even shadier Shell with no logos, then a regular Mobil with no logos where I filled up. There's a shady Citgo up the street I can try also.

I might just stick to using the Kwik Trip next to the house as I can get the Premium no ethanol there without driving all around. And every month or so throw a bottle of SL-1 through.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's pretty wild - I'd expect the Chicago region would be all Top Tier.

Did you look all around the Shell pump box? Recall my closest Shell put their TT sticker one per island instead of one per pump, and way up in the top left hand corner.

Of course, who know - they might be out of additive too, and nobody removed the stickers since they require a ladder to reach.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's pretty wild - I'd expect the Chicago region would be all Top Tier.

Did you look all around the Shell pump box? Recall my closest Shell put their TT sticker one per island instead of one per pump, and way up in the top left hand corner.

Of course, who know - they might be out of additive too, and nobody removed the stickers since they require a ladder to reach.
Yup, walked around the islands, no stickers. I'm in Madison so not a nothing market but not Chicago either.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup, walked around the islands, no stickers. I'm in Madison so not a nothing market but not Chicago either.

Madison used to pull from Chicago via the McFarland terminal. I'm from Madison, btw.

The Joliet pipe also goes to Milwaukee and Green Bay.

wtaf?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Suggest reading the posts above for a couple of pages. These contain a lot of detail. Then if you have more questions, ask.
I missed the 1oz per 10 gallon post earlier.
For years I’ve been putting a bottle of Techron in about once a month. Now using SL-1

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I missed the 1oz per 10 gallon post earlier.
For years I’ve been putting a bottle of Techron in about once a month. Now using SL-1

Makes no diff.......use 1 oz per 10 gallons @ every fill up. They you should not have to scrub out.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Madison used to pull from Chicago via the McFarland terminal. I'm from Madison, btw.

The Joliet pipe also goes to Milwaukee and Green Bay.

wtaf?
Drove over to the Costco near us tonight and every pump has a large Top Tier label plastered right on it, so I guess I'll be switching over to Kirkland gas here soon.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Drove over to the Costco near us tonight and every pump has a large Top Tier label plastered right on it, so I guess I'll be switching over to Kirkland gas here soon.

Well, 600 mile round trip is more than a tank of gas, so........(note my location today under my avatar).

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, 600 mile round trip is more than a tank of gas, so........(note my location today under my avatar).
It's a bit far I'd admit. At least there's not usually a line here. I'd wager you could pull up your Costco gas station on Google Maps and check the busy times to see a good slow time to swing in.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just received this e-mail from Shell USA. The Rep. is standing by top tier for all their fuels, they didn't indicate any regional shortages. If you have questions, don't ask me! Refer to them -

Jem (Shell USA)

10 Jan 2023, 16:57 GMT

Dear Brian Mann,

Thank you for contacting Shell.

ALL SHELL GASOLINE PRODUCTS (regardless of octane rating) PASS THE “Automotive Manufacturers Specification for Top Tier performance” ( http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html. ) Top Tier gas is a formal certification program originated by major auto manufacturers. See this link for further information: http://www.toptiergas.com/

In essence, Top Tier certified gas is gasoline (whether regular or premium) that has more detergent additives in it than required by EPA regulations. These higher detergent levels can help keep engines cleaner (e.g., inlet valves in conventional port fuel injected engines and fuel injectors in direct injected engines) and thus run more efficiently. The auto manufacturers originally started this certification program to help deal with the difference between some of the lower quality/dirtier gasoline products produced in North America.
If you happen to have a high performance car, a European car, or even a car that specifically recommends the use of Top Tier gasoline in the Owner’s Manual, then you should probably use it. Please review the Top Tier Gas criteria (and what it means) at the Top Tier website: http://www.toptiergas.com/

We hope you find

Sincerely,

Jem
Shell Customer Care Team
Call Center: 1-888-467-4355, press Option 8
Email: [email protected]
Mondays to Fridays 7:00 am – 8:00 pm CST excluding public holidays