what STATION YOU GETTING YOUR GASOLINE FROM (top tier or no)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usually Sinclair, sometimes Speedway, or UDF. That's what's available and cheapest. TT preferred but not going to pay more for it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The sad part of this test is they didnt test chevron's gas with techron, but I do believe it would be near shell. I used chevron religiously before we got a costco. Why not shell, well I worked at one during the pinging engine years, and that kind of stuff is hard to forget. But yes it is a way different company now that shell, they did great things with their gas and pennzoil. I don't use shell for an entirely different reason here, they are 30 cents a gallon more expensive then chevron and nearly a dollar per gallon more then costco. There is one costco near me, the line is just non stop there.

Ey3vGtH.jpg

SmarteristGeenyas

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982 B250, 2018 5500
Engine
360 V8 & Cummins 6.7L
like the title sys , what is you favorite gas station, are you hunting for top tier gasoline or you get what is the cheapest around? for the pass 7 years or so I have been getting mine from KROGER but I just find out the Kroger is not even top tier gas...
For my diesel, diesel is already minimally processed so diesel is diesel.
Hell, if I could get away with it I would use my tractor diesel on my 2018 RAM5500 because it is duty-free but because it is dyed red getting caught is a many thousand dollar fine, so not worth it.
So I buy diesel wholesale for my farm from Petrolock and save about .50 cents to $1 per gallon vs retail plus have the convenience of delivery. In diesel top tier means nothing, buy the cheapest diesel that you can it does not matter at all. With oil: I have to buy super heavy duty oil for a super heavy duty truck. Same applies to my Deere tractor, cheapest diesel but super heavy duty engine oil ONLY.

For gasoline: both of my old 1980s vans ping on low grade gasoline so I tend to use top tier 89, especially when hauling.
My old 1988 station wagon runs fine on top tier 87.
For the vans and the wagon: I will use whatever brand of engine oil is on sale.

I also have a 2017 hybrid and I will ONLY use top tier gasoline in it. Plus in the hybrid I only use Pennzoil or Quaker State oil. Why?
Why top tier and Penn state oils for the hybrid?
Unlike older cars where the fuel injectors were before an intake manifold, carbon buildup was a lot less of a factor as it would not foul injectors. But in the newer more modern engines: the injectors are inside of the cylinders and will build up carbon a lot faster.
Ways to avoid carbon buildup are detergent gas and high quality oil with a low NOACK. In my old carbureted vehicles, I am NOT concerned about which oil that I use, but in the newer gasoline engines with fuel injectors in the cylinder, both fuel and oil matter a LOT more.
The injectors will need to be replaced anyways, but 1. Not as fast and 2. I will have superior performance and mileage during that time.
Most injectors are good for 50k to 100k miles. That is DOUBLE the lifespan. Hard driving, cheap gas, cheap oil are the biggest factors in when. So cutting cost in gas or oil reduces injector lifespan and puts a ton of carbon residue into the cylinders which will wear down the rings faster as well. One idea is to alternate top tier gas with cheaper gas. At least run some top tier detergent gasoline through the cylinder every other tank or so?

So this really boils down to are a few questions:
1. What type of vehicle is this for? Is this a gasoline engine with fuel injectors in the cylinders? (If NO, ignore the next 2 questions, continue with cheap gas, but MAYBE run some top tier from time to time).
2. (IF gasoline Injectors are in the cylinder ONLY) How long do you want to keep the vehicle?
3. (IF gasoline Injectors are in the cylinder ONLY) Do you like working on engines?

NOTE: If the injectors are not in the cylinders, or if this is diesel then this is not a big concern at all. In an older car, you can clean out your injectors with a top tier gasoline once or twice a year and run cheap for the rest of the year.
The only vehicles with a carbon concern are gasoline with injectors inside of the cylinder. If you are like me and keep a car forever then it matters. If you flip your car every 2 or 3 years then it doesn't; just put top tier in the tank before a smog or putting a for sale sign on it.

Pops4163

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May get slammed, but that's ok, I can handle or ignore it. I have no idea what gas Sam's has in the DFW area, but I know before I retired, I filled up at Sam's every tank when the prices skyrocketed. Noticed no difference in performance, but my milage went up 1 1/2 to 2 miles per gallon. This wasn't a tank or 2 increase. This was from 6 tor 7 months of using nothing but Sam's gas. Now that I'm retired, I don't use Sam's every tank because the closest one is 25 miles away. I do fill up there when I'm close to one, but that's not often. After retiring, my milage dropped down. No one in the comments mentioned Sam's, so curious what gas they use and if anyone else has the same experience.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shell, HEB due to pump MX< or Sunoco. Nothing else.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The sad part of this test is they didnt test chevron's gas with techron, but I do believe it would be near shell. I used chevron religiously before we got a costco. Why not shell, well I worked at one during the pinging engine years, and that kind of stuff is hard to forget. But yes it is a way different company now that shell, they did great things with their gas and pennzoil. I don't use shell for an entirely different reason here, they are 30 cents a gallon more expensive then chevron and nearly a dollar per gallon more then costco. There is one costco near me, the line is just non stop there.

View attachment 509905

Just goes to show us yet again these companies hide actual quality behind marketing blather. And not only that, but they change over time with different management. There's a damn good reason we're paranoid - they made us this way.

BTW - I'll report response I get from Kwik Trip why they still don't have Top Tier additive pack in their gasoline up here yet. Probably not for a while, being holidays & all.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
like the title sys , what is you favorite gas station, are you hunting for top tier gasoline or you get what is the cheapest around? for the pass 7 years or so I have been getting mine from KROGER but I just find out the Kroger is not even top tier gas...
Nashville has gas terminals. And all brands tank up there. So I don’t know if there is any difference I can’t tell you when I saw a company truck all independent contractors hauling

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nashville has gas terminals. And all brands tank up there. So I don’t know if there is any difference I can’t tell you when I saw a company truck all independent contractors hauling

Additives are put into the gasoline AT the terminals at the concentration and type called for by the brand they are loading for.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
For my diesel, diesel is already minimally processed so diesel is diesel.
Hell, if I could get away with it I would use my tractor diesel on my 2018 RAM5500 because it is duty-free but because it is dyed red getting caught is a many thousand dollar fine, so not worth it.
I guess you have never used premium diesel with Cetane at or above 50, I have the engine runs so much better, you get a cleaner burn so less soot and increased fuel mileage compared to the standard crappy 40 Cetane we normally get at most stations, that poor 40 Cetane fuel we get is one reason I like using cetane additives to my fuel, the higher the cetane the better it burns.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the cheapest one in town. They sell mid grade for the same price as maverick and *** & go does regular, and buy from the same facility as the local Sinclair does. Also there was (and I believe still is) a top tier additive shortage. All the other gas stations are 60¢+ more a gallon. So far no issues, and the truck has a "sport tune" that the previous owner did.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I normally just use Shell when I am in town(which is almost always). The tuner said is was good gas when I sent him the logs. It is also the most expensive in town but oh well. I am not using cheap gas in my truck. and there is no way I'm using cheap gas in the Hellcat. Don't trust grocery store brands. At least around here I've heard too many horror stories.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Depends where I am but usually either KwikTrip or QuickTrip (no, they're not the same). Sometimes Speedway or *** & Go.
Had a buddy who called them E-jack-ulate & Evacuate.

Tend to get my gas from Sam's Club, Costco or Kwik Star.
Best Prices and less problems. Wife's Grand Caravan hated Casey's Gas.