what STATION YOU GETTING YOUR GASOLINE FROM (top tier or no)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The higher the octane the slower and more control the burn of the fuel And our engines call for regular 87 octane fuel, i would think the ECM would adjust for the higher octains ?
the major oil companys i would think have a better additive package , i like Chevrons aditive that they got from Gulf Oil with the merger in 1985 .

Last edited:

Squirrel1270

Air Force Retired
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I go to the base gas station on Ft Dix. In NJ it's probably the ONLY place you can pump your own gas.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess you have never used premium diesel with Cetane at or above 50, I have the engine runs so much better, you get a cleaner burn so less soot and increased fuel mileage compared to the standard crappy 40 Cetane we normally get at most stations, that poor 40 Cetane fuel we get is one reason I like using cetane additives to my fuel, the higher the cetane the better it burns.
WHY I always also ran Diesel Kleen (Winter/Summer) blend in my ED when I had it. Small PITA to do, but worth it, IMHO.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I go to the base gas station on Ft Dix. In NJ it's probably the ONLY place you can pump your own gas.
LMAO, I used to gas up on McGoo (McGuire) when stationed there. But now since they R all a joint base, who knows what is there. My brother works on Lakehurst as I am a "Shore" kid, but not been back to that area by Post/Base in eons, and not back in NJ since 18. Just too far to travel normally, LOL.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Had a buddy who called them E-jack-ulate & Evacuate.

Tend to get my gas from Sam's Club, Costco or Kwik Star.
Best Prices and less problems. Wife's Grand Caravan hated Casey's Gas.
My favorite convenience store name is "Munch and Pump." There's one on the state line of Missouri and Arkansas.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Sunoco, BP, Shell, or Speedway, depending on when and where.

Grocery store gas stations can be good or bad, depending on who's fuel they are actually using. My understanding is that's a regional decision, not a chain wide decision, so a given Kroger/Meijer/Whatever may be using the same as your local top tier or may be using barely-squeaks-past-minimums tier.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The higher the octane the slower and more control the burn of the fuel And our engines call for regular 87 octane fuel, i would think the ECM would adjust for the higher octains ?
the major oil companys i would think have a better additive package , i like Chevrons aditive that they got from Gulf Oil with the merger in 1985 .
For my gas engines I try to fuel up with non-ethanol gasoline. Even 87 without alcohol will net better fuel mileage than the higher octanes that have been "blended." For diesel I run what's cheapest, typically QT or K&G.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Oh, man. Are you guys (& gals) ready for this? You'd best be sitting down before reading:

Case Created: 2022-12-23 13:00:45 CST
Case Short Description: Fuel inquiry from Kwiktrip.com
Case Long Description : Brian Mann

When will your fuel stations have Top Tier fuel again in the Twin Cities, Minnesota region? It's been almost a year without.
Thank you.

Jamie Mysliwiec <[email protected]>​

10:46 AM (3 hours ago)
to me

Good Morning Brian,

Due to the supply chain shortages we could not guarantee their additive. So currently we do not carry the Top Tier product. Kwik Trip/Kwik Star however takes pride in their fuel and will continue to back our fuel 100%. Currently we have no timeline or approval on whether or not top tier additive will available again. We are in the process of removing all marketing on this.

Thank you and have a great day!

Jamie Mysliwiec
Commercial Sales
608-791-7337 | [email protected]

Kwik Trip, Inc. Mission: "To serve our customers and community more effectively than anyone else by treating our customers, co-workers and suppliers as we, personally, would like to be treated and to make a difference in someone's life."

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess I was wrong assuming they had top tier gas. For awhile last winter/start of spring they took the top tier signs off their pumps but now they are all back on the pumps. If I didn't have a gas card I wouldn't use kwik trip. They're always the first to raise their prices and last to lower them.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, man. Are you guys (& gals) ready for this? You'd best be sitting down before reading:

Case Created: 2022-12-23 13:00:45 CST
Case Short Description: Fuel inquiry from Kwiktrip.com
Case Long Description : Brian Mann

When will your fuel stations have Top Tier fuel again in the Twin Cities, Minnesota region? It's been almost a year without.
Thank you.

Jamie Mysliwiec <[email protected]>​

10:46 AM (3 hours ago)
to me

Good Morning Brian,

Due to the supply chain shortages we could not guarantee their additive. So currently we do not carry the Top Tier product. Kwik Trip/Kwik Star however takes pride in their fuel and will continue to back our fuel 100%. Currently we have no timeline or approval on whether or not top tier additive will available again. We are in the process of removing all marketing on this.

Thank you and have a great day!

Jamie Mysliwiec
Commercial Sales
608-791-7337 | [email protected]

Kwik Trip, Inc. Mission: "To serve our customers and community more effectively than anyone else by treating our customers, co-workers and suppliers as we, personally, would like to be treated and to make a difference in someone's life."

Am I correct in assuming this would be across all KT's? I will swing by mine this week in SE WI and see if the logos are there.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
... Grocery store gas stations can be good or bad, depending on who's fuel they are actually using. My understanding is that's a regional decision, not a chain wide decision, so a given Kroger/Meijer/Whatever may be using the same as your local top tier or may be using barely-squeaks-past-minimums tier.

HEB does a really good job of vetting their food vendors, I'm sure that policy applies to gasoline as well. They're pretty much a "one and done", you mess up once and you're history. Pump bays are always crowded, so their turnover is high, but oddly, I've never seen a fuel truck unloading. Also they've never had issues with card scammers. Been fueling all our vehicles there for 20+ years, never heard of any problems at the pumps...

Russ

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Guess I was wrong assuming they had top tier gas. For awhile last winter/start of spring they took the top tier signs off their pumps but now they are all back on the pumps. If I didn't have a gas card I wouldn't use kwik trip. They're always the first to raise their prices and last to lower them.

Are you wrong? Why would they put TT labels there but not up here? It's not legal to put a TT label on non-TT supply, but who the hell would enforce it?

Anyway, thanks to @Burla slap upside my head, I ordered a bunch of PEA (I got Techron / Chevron brand - shouldn't matter who anymore) to add to my tanks from here on out @ 1/10 recommended flush dosage to mimic pump supply as it used to be.

What a crock of $hit.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sunoco, BP, Shell, or Speedway, depending on when and where.

Grocery store gas stations can be good or bad, depending on who's fuel they are actually using. My understanding is that's a regional decision, not a chain wide decision, so a given Kroger/Meijer/Whatever may be using the same as your local top tier or may be using barely-squeaks-past-minimums tier.

Not the case. To be certified Top Tier they have to be listed with pumps labeled. Easily googleable

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Are you wrong? Why would they put TT labels there but not up here? It's not legal to put a TT label on non-TT supply, but who the hell would enforce it?

Anyway, thanks to @Burla slap upside my head, I ordered a bunch of PEA (I got Techron / Chevron brand - shouldn't matter who anymore) to add to my tanks from here on out @ 1/10 recommended flush dosage to mimic pump supply as it used to be.

What a crock of $hit.
msds techron concentrate 15-40% PEA which is very decent. I think this recently changed, it was less last time I checked. Redline recently changed theirs as well, 28-34%.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing but Mobil fuel for my vehicles.
89 octane for the truck.
93 octane for the car.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
msds techron concentrate 15-40% PEA which is very decent. I think this recently changed, it was less last time I checked. Redline recently changed theirs as well, 28-34%.

Again, it doesn't really matter. It's the amount require per gallon of gasoline times the price for that amount that determines which bottle of PEA is the best price per gallon. btw, the sheets are old, they have since hidden their magic mouse milk names and %

Whatever concentration they are hiding, their treatment rate for cleaning (not maintenance) is 1 oz per gallon every 3,000 miles. I have a nominal 30 gallon gas tank. So to clean, I add 30 oz.

But - I prefer to have Top Tier fuel that PREVENTS deposits - not wait until they build up then scrub them all out. That inefficient approach allows the engine to build up and run crappier every 3,000 miles instead of never.

Somewhere (can't find now) Chevron said to add @ 1/10 the dosage for maintenance. This rate means 3 oz for 30 gallon tank fill. I usually fill ~ half tank or less, so let's say 15 gallons. This means I add 1.5 oz at every fueling instead of a whole bottle every oil change.

I paid $64.90 (pre-tax) for 6 x 20 oz bottles. This equates to $0.54 per oz. 1-1/2 oz = $0.81 per 15 gallon gasoline fill = 5.4 cents per gallon of gasoline.

Sounds about right when AAA estimated 3 cents per gallon extra for Top Tier Fuel 7 years ago.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am I correct in assuming this would be across all KT's? I will swing by mine this week in SE WI and see if the logos are there.
Thats my assumption. I would think if it's just the twin cities area the person would have said that in the email. The email also states kwik trip/kwik star. There aren't any kwik stars around the twin cities that I'm aware more of an Iowa thing iirc so another point for them all not being top tier. Even if they have the stickers on the pump who's to say you're actually getting top tier gas? Joe Blow at the register isnt going to know a darn thing. Thanks to @HEMIMANN for inquiring about it. I won't be filling up my truck there any more.

Unless I missed it I don't see Kwik Trip on top tiers website any more.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So - I'm recommending PEA additive in concentrations from Techron or RedLine used at every fuel fill at the rate of 1.5 oz additive per 15 gallons gasoline.

This should make a homemade Top Tier gasoline to keep our fuel systems clean - never needing cleanout. Except throttle body housings on occasion (air intake and breather oil mist, for those without catch cans).

I have no idea what other Top Tier gasoline suppliers are doing - Shell, Mobil, Costco, Arco, Chevron, etc. etc. All I know is Kwik Trip was the major TT gasoline in the Twin Cities and tore off all the top tier labels from their fuel pumps last winter and haven't put them back since.

P.S. - BP is off the Top Tier list too. The few Shell stations here don't have Top Tier labels either. Don't know about COSTCO, but there's always long gas lines so I never go there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500