What's your favorite muffler swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Just curious, motorcyclists sometimes drill small holes in their stock exhaust to get a better sound. Has anyone tried that on the muffler or resonators? Couldn't find any videos. Seems like it would work the same.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5th Gen Rams 2019 and newer have a different exhaust setup than previous Rams and the sound is different from just a muffler swap. The new Rams have a single muffler with a single pipe in and single offset pipe out and connect to a Y and to the separate rear resonators and tail pipe tips.
The older Rams (at least the 2017, 18, & 2019 Classic) have a single muffler with a single pipe in and dual pipes out to resonators and tips.
The 5th Gen Rams have different size rear resonators than the previous Rams and the exhaust swap sound is different. If you are going to compare the sound recommendations for a type of muffler swap without changing or deleting the resonators you may want to take the recommendations from other Ram Gen owners with a grain of salt. Also the muffler swap procedure is slightly different with the single vs dual pipe outlet.

I have a 2019 hemi and my son had a 2018 hemi and the exhaust setup was different and the modified sound was different.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
5th Gen Rams 2019 and newer have a different exhaust setup than previous Rams and the sound is different from just a muffler swap. The new Rams have a single muffler with a single pipe in and single offset pipe out and connect to a Y and to the separate rear resonators and tail pipe tips.
The older Rams (at least the 2017, 18, & 2019 Classic) have a single muffler with a single pipe in and dual pipes out to resonators and tips.
The 5th Gen Rams have different size rear resonators than the previous Rams and the exhaust swap sound is different. If you are going to compare the sound recommendations for a type of muffler swap without changing or deleting the resonators you may want to take the recommendations from other Ram Gen owners with a grain of salt. Also the muffler swap procedure is slightly different with the single vs dual pipe outlet.

I have a 2019 hemi and my son had a 2018 hemi and the exhaust setup was different and the modified sound was different.
I wonder if anyone has tried drilling a few holes in the resonators to get a little more sound. Couldn't find any videos for any V8 trucks.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are weep holes already in the resonators and they sound like air leaking out, not a very good sound. Some have plugged up the holes to stop the leak sound.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not gonna read through all the answers, just give you my straight-up opinion.

The Mufflex Magnaflow are a straight-up swap - they add necessary piping to the Magnaflow muffler to make it a direct replacement for the stock setup.

I put the 18" on my '15 and really liked it. I liked it even better after I put a set of Moe's 5" tips on - really mellowed it.

I think the stock muffler is about 36", so the 24" will be a bit louder, and the 18" a bit more. They also have a 14" as well as a "no muffler" pipe replacement.

All that said, I spent the $$ for a Borla Type S catback system for my '20 and love it even more. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

chstrahl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Flowmaster outlaw and Carven R. Two mufflers that have bad ass sound. Carven TR sounds good but has can drone. Carven R sounds good no cab drone.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Muffler sound is highly subjective. Listening to all the exhaust clips on YouTube doesn't really give you the full experience either. Will sound different in person. Personally, I didn't want mine too loud. I put a Flowmaster Super 40 and kept the resonators on. Has a deep rumble on cold start and idle, no drone at highway speeds until you give it the beans and it sounds fantastic. $125 for the muffler plus $100 labor. Cheaper than a bolt on and I didn't have to do any of the work myself...

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm looking for an affordable way to improve the sound of my 5.7. A simple muffler change will do the trick, but there are so many options it's hard to figure out what to get. Looks like most are in the $250-350 range, which is what I'm looking for and pretty easy to install.

As far as sound, I just want a nice, low rumble. Not looking to wake up the neighbors with straight pipes...just a good traditional "V8" growl. I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

Happy with my Magnaflow! It was easy to install and sounds fantastic! It has a nice rumble at cold start, neighbours are surely hearing it but it's not an in your face start. When you open the throttle, it never gets old! :D At Highway speeds it doesn't drone. No complaints.

Coosawjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just installed the B2 Fabrication Oval muffler and it is very nice.......low rumble and it barks a little on cold starts!!
There's no adverse noises in the cabin when cruising unless you punch it but even then it ain't obnoxious......just nice "V-8 MUSIC"!!