When to engage 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheDude266

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
Are you worried about engaging it too often? Like if your turn it on and off to often it will hurt it?

If so, that is not what you should be worried about. NOT using it causes more issues than engaging 4wd

Hi Sirguynate and all others thanks for your replies. I now have a better understanding.
To answer specifically, yes that was a concern, going back and forth.
Good to know that it is not an issue.
I also thought it might damage the transmission if I left it in 4WD when not needed.
Take Care

Rocketjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live where it’s cold and have allot of snow and melts and more snow and cold. I have been told that leaving in auto will cause expensive issues down the road so I engage into 4x4 manually when on ice or deep snow. Get a set of good snow tires and step on it, just remember stopping is a *****.

Dexter Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I went through the I-5 snow disaster over Thanksgiving and was in and out of 4wd from the Oregon border to Redding CA. I had to manually push the button. Truck handled beatuifully in the worst driving conditions I have ever experienced! Must have been why they shut down I-5 behind me as I drove south! I think the owner's manual says to get OFF the gas when switching between 2WD and 4WD, kind of a clutching thing I guess...

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went through the I-5 snow disaster over Thanksgiving and was in and out of 4wd from the Oregon border to Redding CA. I had to manually push the button. Truck handled beatuifully in the worst driving conditions I have ever experienced! Must have been why they shut down I-5 behind me as I drove south! I think the owner's manual says to get OFF the gas when switching between 2WD and 4WD, kind of a clutching thing I guess...

Lol yeah that was a storm that hit hard and fast. ODOT and CDOT was not prepared they dropped the ball on that one.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lots of good advice....and I'll add simply this....put it in 4wd BEFORE you need it.....IE, if you have any doubt, do it.

Unless you're doing stupid stuff, you won't hurt it, and if you wait too long, you may get yourself get in a situation in 2wd that 4wd can't get you out of.

Personally, I also carry a blanket and some basic supplies when traveling in winter weather, (or when it could hit) as well as not letting the tank go below 1/2 full........just in case.

OP
OP
TheDude266

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
Lots of good advice....and I'll add simply this....put it in 4wd BEFORE you need it.....IE, if you have any doubt, do it.

Unless you're doing stupid stuff, you won't hurt it, and if you wait too long, you may get yourself get in a situation in 2wd that 4wd can't get you out of.

Personally, I also carry a blanket and some basic supplies when traveling in winter weather, (or when it could hit) as well as not letting the tank go below 1/2 full........just in case.

Thanks TRCM. Good advice and I will take it. I have two fleece blankets in the truck and an emergency kit. We think alike about what "could happen"...always nice to be prepared.
All the best and Merry Christmas.

Juhax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
4wd from October to end of March here in Finland. We have snow and icy roads!

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only Big Rule for using 4 wheel drive is not making turns on dry pavement.
When you do that in 4 wheel drive the front and rear axles are moving at different rates. You will get the infamous 4x4 jiggle and chirp. This does stress the drive train. I have done it accidentally of course UGHH.

If its raining hard or snowing or ice. Put it in 4X4. Just don't forget the big rule.

As to the 4X4 auto mode. I just bought my Ram. And best I can figure. The Ram will sense wheel slippage in the rear axle and activate the 4X4. The only problem I see is if you make a sharp 90 degree turn. The Ram may sense this as wheel slippage?

Any opinions on that part??

FaceDeAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
wrt Auto setting. Depending on the transfer case and front diff configuration. There are a few types. Some are prone to premature wear and failure, pending how they are used.
- one type fully engages the transfer case, monitors the wheel abs sensors to sense wheel spin, engages front differential actuator when slip occurs.
- another type has a clutch pack in the transfer case. The transfer case is engaged with light pressure on the clutches, the front differential is fully engaged. wheel abs is monitored and when senses wheel spin the Tcase motor control tightens pressure on the clutch pack.

Here is what I do.
Trip plan and drive it like it is a 2wd
If am travelling through unknown variable and rapid changing road conditions; run in Auto.
If travelling through pretty much constant snow, ice, slick mud, whatever; run in full 4wd.
If conditions are fine for responsible 2wd driving, it stays in 2wd.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The only Big Rule for using 4 wheel drive is not making turns on dry pavement.
When you do that in 4 wheel drive the front and rear axles are moving at different rates. You will get the infamous 4x4 jiggle and chirp. This does stress the drive train. I have done it accidentally of course UGHH.

If its raining hard or snowing or ice. Put it in 4X4. Just don't forget the big rule.

As to the 4X4 auto mode. I just bought my Ram. And best I can figure. The Ram will sense wheel slippage in the rear axle and activate the 4X4. The only problem I see is if you make a sharp 90 degree turn. The Ram may sense this as wheel slippage?

Any opinions on that part??
When I first got my RAM I tried 4 wheel drive in my dirt driveway and when I turned the wheel to back in I got that jiggle /jerk noise :O scared the crap out of me lol Call the dealer and tech said dry ground you get the sound :O

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live where it’s cold and have allot of snow and melts and more snow and cold. I have been told that leaving in auto will cause expensive issues down the road so I engage into 4x4 manually when on ice or deep snow. Get a set of good snow tires and step on it, just remember stopping is a *****.
Who told you excessive wear??? Its MADE to shift itself into and out of 4WD without human intervention, your 'manually do it' actually makes more wear (not much though) that the automatic mode. Se people still liver in the stone age when it comes to understand modern technology and engineering application. Use it like it is supposed to be used, you'll have NO problems

Moose Knuckle 34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi wit Footprint gas pedel
4wd lock can be engaged after 2-3 mph and can be continuously driven at speeds up to 55mph.
4wd low needs around low speeds 2-3 mph and can be driven at speeds up to 25mph.
Per the owners manual.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I may I have a related question. I have the part time transfer case, and I've wondered what the Neutral button is for an when to use it.
Thanks to this thread I've realized I can switch from 2wd to 4wd while driving at higher speeds, as I had been told years ago to stop, shift to Park or Neutral and then engage/disengage the 4wd. But from here I can see that is not necessary, which is great. But I do wonder what the Neutral button is for on the transfer case control switch and when to use it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I may I have a related question. I have the part time transfer case, and I've wondered what the Neutral button is for an when to use it.
The neutral in the transfer case is probably most commonly used to be able to flat tow the vehicle when it's not running. Whether that is behind an RV or the truck broke down and your buddy is towing you out from BFE.
You can shift on the fly into 4X4 High/Lock. Shifting into 4X4 Low you need to have the transmission in neutral and moving less than 5 mph.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the manual knob to go between 2WD and 4WD. Heading over the passes in my area (generally the Oregon Cascades) it's often near freezing with wet patches. Kind of sucks since it goes wet-dry-wet-dry. And I had the truck kick out and send me sliding sideways once during very light throttle and outdoor temp of 45 degrees. Still no sure how that happened but luckily I regained and didn't hit anything.

Anyway, when it's dry I go back to 2WD. When on wet pavement I will periodically switch back to 2WD for stretches when I am coasting. My thought is to relieve any binding that has built up. No sure if it helps. I generally lean towards just leaving it on. I'd rather wreck my xfer case which is under warranty than crash and get hurt or damage the truck.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I keep it in 4auto whenever there is mixed conditions or even a rain storm--o issues to date and mine is 2012.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I have mine in 4-auto and I am on dryer pavement, it shifts up and down harder.
Sometimes I wonder if there is a different issue.