Where are the highbeams on projectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
d69970471fa6d625d15658d96ea661be.jpg
Are these where the highbeams are on projectors? I’m asking because i’m about to blow 1.3K on stock projectors/ LED taillights and a 3rd brake light and i’d like to understand more about projectors before i make a final purchase.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The highbeam is in the projector. A very simple explanation of how a projector headlight works is there is a shield in there that blocks a portion of the light coming out of the projector's bulb. When you turn on the high beams that shield moves back allowing full output of that bulb. I do recommend upgrading the halogen to HID or LED. These projector assemblies are not very bright with the halogens. HID's and LEDs offer a nice increase in output.

OR you can retrofit your existing lights and have way better output! Let me know if we can help you with sourcing any aftermarket parts for lighting or anything else

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The highbeam is in the projector. A very simple explanation of how a projector headlight works is there is a shield in there that blocks a portion of the light coming out of the projector's bulb. When you turn on the high beams that shield moves back allowing full output of that bulb. I do recommend upgrading the halogen to HID or LED. These projector assemblies are not very bright with the halogens. HID's and LEDs offer a nice increase in output.

OR you can retrofit your existing lights and have way better output! Let me know if we can help you with sourcing any aftermarket parts for lighting or anything else
This is not correct. On the OEM projector there is a separate bulb for the high beam. It is located exactly where the OP has indicated. At least that is the case on my 2018 Laramie.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
This is not correct. On the OEM projector there is a separate bulb for the high beam. It is located exactly where the OP has indicated. At least that is the case on my 2018 Laramie.

Thank you for your answer. I just purchased all 3. I tried LEDs in my Reflector housings but they were awful.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

Dave Dunlop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 diesel
If your going to spend 1.3k on lights you might as well spend it on the Morimotos. I have em in my truck and love em.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You are both correct, but both missing information.
There is a separate reflector for high beams, but the projector is a bi-halogen projector, which drops the cutoff shield for the high beams. So when you turn on high beams, the shield drops letting out all of the light from the projector, and a separate reflector comes on as well.