Where does the sport trim go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If there is a base trim which is maybe the ST
Then the SLT then they have the Laramie and the srt10
Where does the sport trim go in this?
Is it more of a base or is it better or worse than the Laramie?
I found that it’s only available with the 5.7 hemi
Which to me makes me thinks it’s better than the ST at least
I don’t see it displayed as an option every time when I’m looking for parts online
What would be the next closest trim?
Is it just a Canadian trim or do they have the sport in the states too?

Looking forward to any insight anyone has!

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As for a model called Sport, it’s only in Canada. I’ve had two and love them. If you have a look at https://www.ramtruck.ca/en/1500/models you’ll see the models and where the Sport fits. It includes enhancements above the Big Horn. But you can actually order/find a Sport loaded with everything that the Limited has.

OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As for a model called Sport, it’s only in Canada. I’ve had two and love them. If you have a look at https://www.ramtruck.ca/en/1500/models you’ll see the models and where the Sport fits. It includes enhancements above the Big Horn. But you can actually order/find a Sport loaded with everything that the Limited has.

Ah okay so it’s Halfway good-ish.
What about when it was new?
There’s 8 trims available now
Definitely wasn’t that much around 2006

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ram has done a bang up job of its Sport interior and given it touches in the dash and console that are unique to only this model. Sitting in a new Sport is tempting to load up with features. If I was buying a new 1500 (I have a 2019 Limited now) I would be in a Sport maxed out, or another Limited. And with the Sport you get a nicer grill, full body and grill color, and the interior is a class act too.

I had a 2010 Sport and you are correct, nothing too special over the models around it. Other than full body color was the main thing.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Basically for 2006 they had the ST, SLT, Sport, TRX4, Laramie, and the SRT10. ST is the base which usually comes with manual everything. I personally have an ST but have upgraded it over the past few years to be more like a Sport and TRX4.

I know the TRX4 is an SLT that also comes with a 3.92 LSD rear end, tow hooks, and skid plates, but I'm pretty sure the only thing that sets a Sport apart from an SLT is the paint-matched grille and bumpers and possibly 20" wheels. Your best bet would just be to go with SLT trim

ViperOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jason where did you get your hood scoop? Yours looks like a Rumble Bee style. I would like to put one on my 2003 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The Sport trim that were at the dealership where I got mine at didn't come with everything that my Big Horn came with .... for one it had 18" wheels instead of the 20s mine came with ... all but 2 had the 3.92s in them ....

Now I see the Sport trim over the Big Horn ? .... The Sport was also priced less that the Big Horns in the lot too ....

Infidel67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, New here. I got the 2008 Ram 1500 Sport and was wondering the same about selected sites choosing the Trim for parts.
right now I'm just messing around with the alfaobd app, and I must say im impressed.
reading through all the threads on here to get much info about the Truck, my first Ram but I had several Jeeps.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 2009 Ram were the first to have the Can Bus System, some of the higher model Jeeps had it also.

A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other's applications without a host computer.

Many of the newer vehicles still don't have it, as of the last time i checked, FCA cars like the 200 & 300 models, did not have it yet

This means that you can't take a radio out of a Non Can Bus system vehicle & just make a simple swap into a Ram

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
GT sorry, but I believe you are incorrect in saying the CAN bus started in 2009 in Rams. I have a 2006 and I have been told that it is a CAN bus vehicle.

Mike

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Different trims just a way to get more dollars

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The 2009 Ram were the first to have the Can Bus System, some of the higher model Jeeps had it also.

A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other's applications without a host computer.
CANbus has been used in one of its many forms since it was mandated here in the US back in 1996. There have been various updates and have increasing added more modules to run just about everything in a vehicle.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I guess that the point that i was attempting to make, was that the Rams & the higher class Jeeps use a different CanBus system than say the cheaper classes of Jeep & almost all of the cars that are made by Chrysler/FCA
ie:
the radio from the cars & lower model jeeps will not work in a Ram, even though the mounting tabs are identical.
They use different Can Bus

This specification has two parts; part A is for the standard format with an 11-bit identifier, and part B is for the extended format with a 29-bit identifier. A CAN device that uses 11-bit identifiers is commonly called CAN 2.0A and a CAN device that uses 29-bit identifiers is commonly called CAN 2.0B.

From what i have read, they have another newer Can format .. CAN FD

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I guess that the point that i was attempting to make, was that the Rams & the higher class Jeeps use a different CanBus system than say the cheaper classes of Jeep & almost all of the cars that are made by Chrysler/FCA
ie:
the radio from the cars & lower model jeeps will not work in a Ram, even though the mounting tabs are identical.
They use different Can Bus
Now your confusing supported hardware vs the communication protocol itself. If the difference modules don't support a particular piece of hardware it won't work even if the communication protocol is the same. The thing with the radios is the data that transferred between modules may not be at the same "location" for the other modules to find it.
Take adding power fold mirrors to a Ram, you have to add new modules along with enabling power folding and then even still you can't enable them to fold when the vehicle is turned off. That's a situation where the module is supported but the data is not. Has nothing to do with being a different CANbus.
Vehicle communications is a lot more than ones and zeros, the whole dam alphabet along with 0-9 is used.