Where is the Subwoofer in the 2019's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two way would make sense for the uneven number of speaker drivers!

I would really like to see a picture of the subwoofer, if somebody would be so kind as to post one.

As far as I know, no one has taken the seat out for a picture.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as I know, no one has taken the seat out for a picture.[/QUOTEim wondering how RAM found adequate depth behind the seat back to install a subwoofer therr

I'm wondering how RAM found adequate depth behind the seat back to install a subwoofer there?????

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am sure that the one back there is t what we would truly call a “ subwoofer “ but more so a woofer lol.

ram1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The Sub is behind the passenger side back seat. If you fold down the armrest you can reach behind the seat and pull a shoe lace type cord to fold the back down. You will see the cut out in the carpet for the sub. It has the same enclosure I had on my 2015 with the Alpine system. Reading this thread I see you guys were complaining of sloppy bass? I had none (only highs and mids). I added a Kicker VR 12" and that did the trick. Must say switching from the Alpine to HK was a huge downgrade.

dreinert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram1931,

I pulled the seat forward but didn't pull the mat off the speaker. I had read it's a 10" woofer with the HK sound system. Were you able to fit the VR 12" in place or did you have to modify?

I also thought I read the stock HK woofer is 4ohm; any issues with going to the VR at 2ohm?

Thanks for any input!

Dallas

dreinert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pic showing the black "shoe string" loop on the rear of the passenger seat that you have to pull on to get the seat back unlatched.

Also shows the sub cutouts on the back wall (cutouts look like mini pizza slices).

IMG_4164.jpg

ram1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I added an amp as well. I tapped the factory sub wires with a line output converter and ran it to the amp. I left factory sub in place and added a single 12" sub box under the seat. I had to modify box a little so it would be completely hidden under the seat. As for swapping the HK sub you would need a shallow mount sub. There is not much room on the back wall (driver side is takin up by the etec battery).

20181119_175323.jpg

20181119_175344.jpg

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyway to prove the ohms of the sub? That way we can stay looking for shallow mount subs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I added an amp as well. I tapped the factory sub wires with a line output converter and ran it to the amp. I left factory sub in place and added a single 12" sub box under the seat. I had to modify box a little so it would be completely hidden under the seat. As for swapping the HK sub you would need a shallow mount sub. There is not much room on the back wall (driver side is takin up by the etec battery).

Wow, that looks slick. What sub box did you use? And what modification did you have top make? The sloped back end, I presume? I am definitely interested in replicating what you have done.

As an aside, I had some thoughts about replacing the factory sub and installing a higher power one along with an amp. I suspect the factory amp is pretty low powered. Yeah, 900 watts for all "19" speakers. I am sure that is peak, not RMS wattage. RMS is probably half or less but is more in line with what our ears hear. How much of that did they allocate to the factory sub? Also, did they quote "900 watts" by using the power handling capability of the speakers or the actual power of the amp? LOL. I can't find any details on that stuff on the web just yet.

I had the factory sub out a week or two ago so as to examine it and what is behind it, and I can tell you that it is VERY shallow. Maybe 3 inches! I have not been able to find a replacement sub that I thought would fit. The structure behind the sub is all plastic type stuff, which undoubtedly does not help in the sound department. While I had it out, I stuffed fiberglass insulation behind the sub, which subtly helped.

RE: the rip cord to allow the seat to lean forward, be sure to pull toward the passenger door, or if as is more likely, reaching behind from the center console, push the cord toward the passenger door. Down or toward the center console will not release the seat.

Last edited:

ram1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It was a " Q bomb" single 12" enclosure. I just had to change the angle of back edge and notch the inboard edge to get it to fit how I wanted it. This was a temporary solution until aftermarket products start coming out. I wanted to put a sub behind the bench but couldn't figure it out with limited space and the shallow subs just don't have the kick I was looking for.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks, do you recall the model? I see quite a few Q-bomb singles listed on the web. And how do you like the sound?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a " Q bomb" single 12" enclosure. I just had to change the angle of back edge and notch the inboard edge to get it to fit how I wanted it. This was a temporary solution until aftermarket products start coming out. I wanted to put a sub behind the bench but couldn't figure it out with limited space and the shallow subs just don't have the kick I was looking for.

Does your truck have ANC? If so any issues with that?

ram1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For me it sounds great. It does have ANC but as far as I can tell it hasn't affected the bass.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How did you remove the fold down storage thing? I can't figure it out. I removed the side screws but that didn't do the trick. Also, there is a thing in the center that holds it upright. I need to remove both the fold down piece and the center thing. I just bought a box from Supercrewsound and both of these pieces need to come out for proper fit.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyway to prove the ohms of the sub? That way we can stay looking for shallow mount subs
Unplug the sub and check resistance on it with a multumeter. Ohms is a measure of resistance. Single voice coils are whatever they are. Dual voice coils are either 1/2 or double once wired depending on your configuration so a dvc 2 ohm is either 1 ohm or 4ohm depending on if you wire them in series or parallel.

White Lightening

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Here are a few pics with the seat out. I pulled the seats and added a roll of soundskins dampening material. This really helped stop the rattling caused by the bass from the factory H/K sub. I also stuffed the sub box with some "black hole stuff" similar to a poly fill.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

Donald Francis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 146878

View attachment 146879
Thank you so much for posting this pic.....I'm thinking of installing my amp behind the back seat as well....and didn't know if there would be enough room OR if it would get to hot back their.