which class Tow hitch should i go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
...the way I was looking at it as kinda like you would with More power. You may never need it but its always nice to have more. (Kinda like Tim Taylor from home improvement Ho Ho Ho More power!) plus the cost difference between the class IV and V is only $7.18 more...
You can get class iv's that will be more that what you can take in tongue or tow capacity, like the 14374 which will get you up to 12,000lbs.

Compared to the class V the costs may seem close in cost at first, but the added cost of the 2.5" parts (or adapters and their limitations) and added weight typically arn't worth it unless you had the 2.5" parts or were hoping to share it's likely just a waste.

To me less Tim Taylor, more larger spoiler on the lowered Honda...not that there's anything wrong with that

jbrown5030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up my 2wd 2017 ram 1500 SLT with a 5.7 Hemi. It has the electrical connections on the back bumper for towing, but no tow hitch. I eventually will be wanting to tow a toy hauler down the road, but in the meantime, i may tow a trailer to the dump every now and then or a flatbed trailer with some quads or a buggy.

I have narrowed it down to a class IV or a class V hitch. from what i am understanding my truck can tow approx 8160lbs. a class IV can tow up to 10k or a class V can do up to 12k i think. am i over doing it if i go with a class V?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
L ok l

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

jarred

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7
First I've heard of an "adapter sleeve." How do they work and where does one buy they. I'm awaiting delivery of an '18 2500. Thanks

David
amazon sells some good ones, they also come with a new 2500/3500 with the EBC wiring harness under the back seat.

OP
OP
F

Flashburn66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright! Well i got The class V delivered and just got it put on this last weekend. Installation went pretty smooth. It definitely helps there is an installation video by the company on YouTube. Ill try to upload some pics of it tomorrow.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
OK, I've been meaning to ask this for a while... My '14 1500 truck (that I recently purchased) came with a "Class IV" hitch according to the Build Sheet. The hitch structure is also the attachment for the bumper. The hitch looks a bit wimpy to me based on other hitches I have had on my tow vehicles. Is there any manufacturer who makes a replacement receiver that has the bumper attachment points?

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
... The hitch looks a bit wimpy to me based on other hitches I have had on my tow vehicles. Is there any manufacturer who makes a replacement receiver that has the bumper attachment points?
Most aftermarket units that are RAM specific models will mount to the bumper or bumper bracket using existing holes.
It should have a weight rating stamped on it.

You could start a thread and post pics of the installed unit for feedback. Several of the popular class IV models are fairly small , have only 2 or 3 bolts, and work well for the guys with 2500's pulling fairly large trailers.