Which engine to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Can you get the lifetime warranty on the Eco Diesel?
I would have one if I didn't tow, and when I do its always over what an Eco can drag. I'm not sure why people keep bringing up cost of repairs with Diesels? How many have YOU broken? Shop rates are expensive regardless, it has a 100k warranty same as the others, and I've had 4 Cummins Diesels since 03 and besides normal wear items, ball joints that suck in all Rams, 1 turbo wastegate actuator issue replaced under warranty has been my only issue.

I have no dog in this fight I just get tired of everyone screaming about Diesels being expensive to repair, news flash everything is expensive to repair!

Now if you want to argue upfront cost of the Diesel, I agree 100% its insane.

OP go drive them, I find a test drive will quickly tell me what I want to buy.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can you get the lifetime warranty on the Eco Diesel?
I would have one if I didn't tow, and when I do its always over what an Eco can drag. I'm not sure why people keep bringing up cost of repairs with Diesels? How many have YOU broken? Shop rates are expensive regardless, it has a 100k warranty same as the others, and I've had 4 Cummins Diesels since 03 and besides normal wear items, ball joints that suck in all Rams, 1 turbo wastegate actuator issue replaced under warranty has been my only issue.

I have no dog in this fight I just get tired of everyone screaming about Diesels being expensive to repair, news flash everything is expensive to repair!

Now if you want to argue upfront cost of the Diesel, I agree 100% its insane.

OP go drive them, I find a test drive will quickly tell me what I want to buy.

No, no diesel engine can be had with the lifetime warranty.
I think the repair cost keeps getting brought up because of the emissions controls on these new diesels. That and the complexity has gone up considerably since you left 2002. Variable vane turbos, exhaust brakes, all of that isn't cheap to fix.

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
The Variable vane, exhaust brake, EGR, DPF came with the 6.7 in 2007.5, but I agree they became far more complex.
Any owner needs to decide how many miles they drive, how long they will keep the vehicle, if a Diesel will ever be worth the added cost up front. Last and most important what you want to drive and like the best wether its the best financial decision or not you only live once do it right the first time and be happy!
Best of luck OP.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I recently bought a 2014 with a 5.7 and Im extremely GLAD I bought the 5.7 instead of the V6. Its not even comparable. Im getting around 21 mpg highway right now. Thats hand figured. Im very happy with it.

What're you getting mixed driving? My pentastar would average 24ish mixed. When you drive 40k+ miles per year like I do it adds up.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The Variable vane, exhaust brake, EGR, DPF came with the 6.7 in 2007.5, but I agree they became far more complex.
Any owner needs to decide how many miles they drive, how long they will keep the vehicle, if a Diesel will ever be worth the added cost up front. Last and most important what you want to drive and like the best wether its the best financial decision or not you only live once do it right the first time and be happy!
Best of luck OP.

Also keep in mind that diesels tend to hold their value much better on the back end when you go to trade or sell. Its not a sunk cost.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Dude, I dont tow anything either. Mine's just a commuter truck. I didn't need a 6.4 Hemi. I wanted one. I wanted the biggest, most powerful truck possible, just to Say that i got one. I recommend a 6.4L mega cab, nothing less.
Cough cough....compensate much?:naughty:

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What're you getting mixed driving? My pentastar would average 24ish mixed. When you drive 40k+ miles per year like I do it adds up.

To be honest I have no idea. I drive the same stretch of highway. I drive 80% highway and 20% city. Pretty much anywhere I drive from my house is all highway and the worst mpg I've got so far is about 19.5. That was the first tank of fuel that I had in the truck and I drove it like I stole it haha.

sport654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on what you stated I would agree with the 3.6 being the best choice. I love my Hemi and find it to be a great engine. That being said, based on what you describe, you really do not need it.

If this had been a year ago with the 6-speed tranny I would have said Hemi. My wife has that combo in her Grand Cherokee. It's not bad but in lower gears It's a little slow to get up to speed. Not bed but not great. I have driven the 3.6 with the 8-speed and it is worlds apart. Much quicker and I noticed the engine is quieter like it never really is straining like with the 6 speed. It's a perfect match.

Since you can get the express now with the 3.6 I would recommend at least looking at the Black Express Group. I am not the biggest fan of black but that package gets you some once options for a good price. It's also the only way to get the projector headlamps from the factory on an express.

As for the gearing. Based on what you stated the 3.21 would be fine. I am not sure how much different the mileage is between the 3.21 and the 3.55. Hopefully some folks on here chime in with that info. If there isn't much of a difference I would recommend going with the 3.55. Better to have it when you need than not if you do. I would also recommend the limited slip. Just a better setup.

Either way good luck with you search and a huge thank you for your service.
FYI...The 2014 express does not offer the 3.6 pentastar. It only comes with a Hemi. OP would have to drop down to the tradesman or up to the SLT to get the 3.6.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FYI...The 2014 express does not offer the 3.6 pentastar. It only comes with a Hemi. OP would have to drop down to the tradesman or up to the SLT to get the 3.6.

Actually, it does now. There's a black one at my local dealer and you can build them on the website.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would be happy with any of those three engines. They all have thei advantages and disadvantages.

What I ABSOLUTELY cannot deal with is something that's geared too tall. That makes life miserable, no matter how much hp and torque you have. My 3.55 geared Hemi just moans and lugs nonstop. I use the slap stick to get around most of it, but that doesn't cure the super tall first gear that the 11s are afflicted with. 4.10s are going in real soon. As a matter of fact, they should already be in, but the shop is running behind, which stinks out loud. I've just about gotten myself talked into getting rid of this truck if the 4.10a Don do wonders.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I would be happy with any of those three engines. They all have thei advantages and disadvantages.

What I ABSOLUTELY cannot deal with is something that's geared too tall. That makes life miserable, no matter how much hp and torque you have. My 3.55 geared Hemi just moans and lugs nonstop. I use the slap stick to get around most of it, but that doesn't cure the super tall first gear that the 11s are afflicted with. 4.10s are going in real soon. As a matter of fact, they should already be in, but the shop is running behind, which stinks out loud. I've just about gotten myself talked into getting rid of this truck if the 4.10a Don do wonders.

The ecodiesel is great with the 8 speed and the 3.55's.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First gear in the 8 speed is 4.71, where as in the 545RFE, it's 300. Second in the 8 speed is 314. It's like I've said for a long time, the transmission in my 11 is like having a 5 speed, with first gear missing. Yeah, a 3.55 rear in the 8 would work fine.

By how much did the 0-60 times drop with the 8 speed tranny?

So how much taller is my 300 (first gear) with a 4.10 rear end, than a 471 (first gear) with a 3.55? If I'm not mistaken, it would be about 75% of my first gear, with a 4.10 rear end.

Last edited:

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
So how much taller is my 300 (first gear) with a 4.10 rear end, than a 471 (first gear) with a 3.55? If I'm not mistaken, it would be about 75% of my first gear, with a 4.10 rear end.

3.00 x 4.10 = 12.3:1 multiplication

4.71 x 3.55 = 16.72:1

4.71 x 3.21 = 15.11

4.42 difference

8 speed 1st @3.55 is 35% lower gear (numerically higher) than your first gear. Even with a 3.21 the 8 speed has a lower first than a 5/6 speed and 4.10.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, toof. I figured correctly. Even with 4.10s I'm at a disadvantage. The only bright spot is my CAI and Hemi Fever tune. That may level the playing field a bit, not that I'm racing anyone.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Since you're going with the crew cab you can sleep in the back seat if you need air conditioning but of course that means your truck is running. If you like fresh air and still like security, invest in a rear sliding window and a sunroof. If the air is cool enough you can open both and still lock yourself in.

Engine: Since you're not towing anything big, the 5.7 Hemi will give you plenty of fun and power and when you're cruizing the engine breaks down to 4 cyl to save gas (but the option is there to have lots of power) so your truck stays efficient. Also, the resale on a Hemi is much better especially when it gets older. I would go with 3.92 gears and a 4x2. You should be able to pull near 10K lbs if you decide you want to pull later.

The Bighorn package should keep you right around $38K with those options and give you plenty of bells and whistles.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get the 5.7. Mine gets almost the same mpg as a friend who has the V6......