Which engine to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UMDRanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying a 2014 or 2015 1500 Express CC 4x4 with 5'7" box sometime in the next several months. I am deployed military overseas and intend to take advantage of the new car sales program that is offered. But that means I don't have the opportunity to test drive or get a hands on look.

I've been reading a bit over the last two weeks since I found this forum. I currently have a 2000 Ford Explorer that has over 200,000 miles. It has served me well, and there are aspects I enjoy in an SUV such as the covered cargo area I can sleep in while still having heat and AC, but I've always wanted a truck. I intend for this purchase to last for a long time, as I do not upgrade vehicles until they are no long cost effective to repair.

I did look at several SUVs online, and I've not been impressed. Too small and higher windows, same or worse fuel efficiency compared to the 1500, low ground clearance, and the utility of the cargo area tends to turn me off. I don't need 3rd row seating, and I'm not keen on throwing a dead deer or the sapped up chainsaw and logs in the back of the SUV. I've done it, but hosing off a spray in bedliner is easier than trying to keep things contained in a tarp.

So I'm pretty set on a truck, and the Ram 1500 looks like it has the most features I want, for the best price. But I need your expert help in determining which engine and gear ratio to go with.

I'm leaning towards the 3.6 with the 3.21 axle. It seems like that would be the most fuel efficient for me given my needs (below). But I'm not entirely opposed to the 5.7 HEMI. Infact when I priced it on the website it appears within $1000 of the 3.6. I would get a topper so could put things like groceries and gear in the bed. And able to put canoe / ladder / etc on the roof.

My driving: daily drive of about 20-25mi. Routes are either down / up big hill each way driving through a valley on freeway speed 45-60mph. Or taking the backroads with stopsigns at 30-40mph.

Once a week 300mi freeway drive (flat terrain) at 70mph.

No towing at this time, but I envision towing a zodiak and 8x10 utility trailer in the future on an infrequent basis such as vacation or getting building supplies. No plans for a huge camper, large boat or pontoon, etc.

No serious offroading. Just what you would expect to get down trails (not serviced roads) through the woods to get to a hunting camp though or to hunting sites.

Explorer gets anywhere from 12 (winter with idling to warm up) to 18 (summer highway) mpg. So either engine choice on the 1500 is better. My budget is to stay below the $40,000. When I priced both engines I came out to about $37,000.

What are your suggestions?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First thing I will say is I love the Hemi, the sound, the power, knowing it's there at my foot. It's sweet. My friend has the 3.6 and loves his. He doesn't even care about the Hemi. Now this is my honest part, I hardly ever drive my truck hard, always trying to get best possible mileage and I just wanna baby it because it's brand new. Opposite of my driving style, I usually drive pretty hard. I am paying for the Hemi.. at the pump. I knew this, I know this, and I am good with it.
My friend sounds very similar to you, same type of commute, same hobbies, same towing requirements. He doesn't drive aggressive at all, so he finds the engine powerful enough. He is coming from a pathetic little Honda CR-V, so he actually finds his 3.6 very powerful, don't forget, it has 305 HP and can tow 4250 with a quadcab 4x4, 4100 with a crew 4x4, both with the 3:21 gears. More than enough for small trailers. Option the 3:55 gears and those go to 7250 and 7200 respectfully.
He is getting 25mpg driving around town with his, thats in the 30's on the highway on a trip. That is downright amazing for a 4x4 truck.
You said you drive your vehicles for years, you hit 200,000 on your explorer. I am probably gonna go against the majority here and say go with your wallet and real world needs, go with the 3.6!! It has the 8 speed transmission and 305 HP and 269 fbt, these are numbers of the V8's of years past! But with great driving characteristics. After many years of owning it you will have saved plenty $ at the pumps, and won't have ever missed the Hemi.
I think you will be more than happy with the 3.6, just decide if you want the 3:55 or 3:21 gears.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Welcome to the forum. Let me start off with I love my hemi. Secondly I don't think you can get the express with the 3.6l. You can get the 3.6 in the tradesman witch is what a express is only with the painted bumpers and rear exhaust cut out. You can obtain all the same interior options as the express I like to think of the express as a appearance package. I know other hemi owners will chime in but with the 8 speed and 3.21 gears they are pulling 22-24mpg on the hwy, I have the 3.55 6 speed and I will pull 19-21 hwy depending on the winds. My average daily commute of 9 mile gets me 17.5. I think you could get more truck with the 3.6l I think you can get a big horn with nav 3.6 8 speed for the same price as a express hemi 8 speed. My mom has a 300 with the 3.6 8 speed and it's down right fast for a 4500lb car I'm sure it has plenty of power for the ram but it's with the 270 ish tq it's not going to like towing very much. If you don't plan on towing anything over 3500-4000 it will be plenty for you. I pushed my dealer pretty hard on the price and my salesman was like we have some v6s that the manager wants to move pretty bad, I was set on the hemi I have already pushed the 8500 towing capacity. so you can probably get a really good deal on a v6.

Ps. There are only 2 real down falls to the pentastar that I can think of. 1 you don't the get v8 sound the 3.6 sounds dinky IMO it sounds like a v6. And second is the towing capacity. The 3.6 is a very strong engine but I love the v8 sound and I push my trucks on the towing.

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind, if you are planning on doing any modding to the engine, options will be limited on the v6 compared to the hemi.

With all due respect to those who have the v6 and 4.7... Personally, I could not imagine my truck with anything less than the 5.7 hemi. Just my .02 :)

Most importantly, THANK YOU for your service! Get home safe and get yourself a Ram!!! :favorites13:

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on what you stated I would agree with the 3.6 being the best choice. I love my Hemi and find it to be a great engine. That being said, based on what you describe, you really do not need it.

If this had been a year ago with the 6-speed tranny I would have said Hemi. My wife has that combo in her Grand Cherokee. It's not bad but in lower gears It's a little slow to get up to speed. Not bed but not great. I have driven the 3.6 with the 8-speed and it is worlds apart. Much quicker and I noticed the engine is quieter like it never really is straining like with the 6 speed. It's a perfect match.

Since you can get the express now with the 3.6 I would recommend at least looking at the Black Express Group. I am not the biggest fan of black but that package gets you some once options for a good price. It's also the only way to get the projector headlamps from the factory on an express.

As for the gearing. Based on what you stated the 3.21 would be fine. I am not sure how much different the mileage is between the 3.21 and the 3.55. Hopefully some folks on here chime in with that info. If there isn't much of a difference I would recommend going with the 3.55. Better to have it when you need than not if you do. I would also recommend the limited slip. Just a better setup.

Either way good luck with you search and a huge thank you for your service.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about the 3.0 Eco diesel? I drove one and it's a sweet engine! I'd get one if it came with a straight axle.

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what your describing as your needs it sounds like the 3.6 is a no brainer. Saves money up front and saves money day to day. If saving money is the key the 3.6 is the choice. The Hemi uses more gas and the Eco Diesel costs much more up front and Diesel fuel costs more as well. I had a 300 with the 3.6 8 spd. and I got 22 mpgs in the city.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.6 w/ 3.55's or 3.0 EcoDiesel would be my vote; don\t buy more than you need.
As much as I love our Hemi, we would still be driving our Caravan if we didn't buy a 32' trailer.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive got about 5k on my hemi in the month I have owned it. I have averaged 19 mpg in mixed driving. 8 spd with 3.92s in a 4x4 crew. Im sure if I drove more conservatively I would get 21. The 8 spd in leaps ahead of my 11 with the 6. I would personally opt for the hemi due to the fact that it has room for expansion. Sure you wont need all the power and towing capacity right off the back. But who knows what you need 10 years down the road?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I originally was going to get a 2013 v6 cc 4x4, but it was a dealer truck out of state (dealer didn't want to release it). I have a 2013 5.7L V8 CC 4X4 3.21 8speed LSD rear, short bed now. I don't tow, but take it out on the beach often. I think I would of had some problems with the soft sand on Long Island with the V6. Mileage wise I knew going in that the truck was not going to get great mileage. I see 13 city and 19 highway (hand calculated). My commute to work it about 10 miles all stop and go driving. The truck does do it's job for my family. I do wish I went with the 3.92 gears after the fact to help with the city driving and possibly bigger tires.

Last edited:

pdubois64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a 2014 Ram 1500 SLT with the V6 today. I could have got an ST with the hemi for 5K cheaper but went with the V6 SLT with every available option. I've had a Charger with the 5.7L Hemi and an SRT Grand Cherokee with the 6.1L Hemi so I'm all hemi'd out. I used to baby the 6.1 big time when you pinned it you could see the gas gauge move lol. I'm not towing anything so the V6 is good enough. The MDS does nothing for fuel economy so other than the sound and a bit more power that you probably don't need I'd go for the V6. The Pentastar V6 at 305 HP is a great engine I have it in my 2012 Wrangler. Plus if I got the 5.7L I'd have to add exhaust, intake, and tuner because I couldn't help myself lol. With the V6 I know I'll just leave it stock. I do love the look of the duals in the real bumper.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
First of all I just want to say that new car buying program overseas is awesome. I looked into it when I was overseas and I wished I pulled the trigger. You are getting a great deal for sure.

Any who, if you want my opinion here it is. Ram 1500 4x4 1500 5.7 3.92 rear end. The big horn package will be a step up from what you want with the express. When I got home from overseas I bought a pre owned F150 with a damn work truck interior. Don't make that mistake. You are going to feel anything is luxury compared to a Military hummer. Or MRAP, whatever you are driving. After a year, you will not feel such luxury. So get a step up in interior. Don't settle for the base interior. I went Laramie and I am so glad I did.

My opinion, if you get a truck, it's to perform as such. The 5.7 is a must and you will thank me for it later. Get the 3.92 rear end. I have tried to buy trucks in the past that I set up more for "economy." Trust me, your heavy ass truck will still be glued to the pump regardless. May as well just do it right the first time. If you get the v6 you will be back on this forum in no time asking about tuners/ CAI/ etc etc. 5.7 with 3.92 and that is all to be said.

The 4x4 you may rarely use. However, when you need it, you will be glad you have it and you feel like a hero.

Get the crew cab. If you buy the v6 2wd then you may as well be rocking a Honda Ridgeline. I hope my opinion helps you out.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ive got about 5k on my hemi in the month I have owned it. I have averaged 19 mpg in mixed driving. 8 spd with 3.92s in a 4x4 crew. Im sure if I drove more conservatively I would get 21. The 8 spd in leaps ahead of my 11 with the 6. I would personally opt for the hemi due to the fact that it has room for expansion. Sure you wont need all the power and towing capacity right off the back. But who knows what you need 10 years down the road?

I will agree with this just because you never know what you may need down the road.
On the other hand I am not calling you a liar but posts like this are the reason I went with the hemi in my 1500. In 13000 miles I averaged 14.9 miles per gallon per fuelly. My best tank ever was 17.9 and that was 90 percent highway. I would have seriously considered another 1500 to replace mine but after getting that mileage I said heck with it and stepped up to a 2500.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would much rather have the 3.0L Eco Diesel than the pentastar.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will agree with this just because you never know what you may need down the road.
On the other hand I am not calling you a liar but posts like this are the reason I went with the hemi in my 1500. In 13000 miles I averaged 14.9 miles per gallon per fuelly. My best tank ever was 17.9 and that was 90 percent highway. I would have seriously considered another 1500 to replace mine but after getting that mileage I said heck with it and stepped up to a 2500.

I dunno, Ill get you a pic of the evic with 18.8 on it. I know its not 100% accurate but it gives a ballpark and some of it is loaded down with up to 1500 lbs of product. same trucks?

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Dude, I dont tow anything either. Mine's just a commuter truck. I didn't need a 6.4 Hemi. I wanted one. I wanted the biggest, most powerful truck possible, just to Say that i got one. I recommend a 6.4L mega cab, nothing less.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I dunno, Ill get you a pic of the evic with 18.8 on it. I know its not 100% accurate but it gives a ballpark and some of it is loaded down with up to 1500 lbs of product. same trucks?

My best rank of 17.9 showed 19.1 (I think) on the evic.

RAMAlaska

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your service!

I would offer some food for thought, if I may be so bold.

1. If you don't have significant commitments stateside (wife, kids, house, etc...) I suggest you buy yourself a present. I wouldn't short change yourself and settle if you can get a great deal. While everyone is correct that the V6 will meet your needs now, I agree that needs may change.

2. The perceived value of the Hemi is generally higher than the V6. If you decide to sell you MIGHT have a better chance of a private party sale with the HEMI.

3. Get the 8-speed no matter what truck you buy. It's probably better in the low's and the high's. (power low and efficiency high)

4. If you want the best fuel capability go with 3.21's, but do it with eyes open and know that your pick-up truck will not tow the Space Shuttle. If you want the option of power and towing go with the 3.92's. (in reality the gearing difference between 3.21's and 3.92's probably won't effect fuel efficiency as much as the 8-speed or your foot will.)

5. Consider the cab/bed ratio. Unless you want to drive something eight miles long, if you want a full size bed, you have to go Quad Cab or Reg Cab. However, Quad Cab would NOT be fun in the back for 300 miles. Plus if you have kids, the Quad Cab gets small fast.

6. Lastly, this forum and the ideas about modding are a sickness. Stay away if you can, but if you can't don't **** out; be prepared to lay down some decent coin for decent add-ons.

So endeth the spew.