Which tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hey guys! This is my first truck with 20” wheels, what all terrain truck tire would you all recommend? I’m used to 8 and 10ply but heard the ride would be terrible. Are the Goodyear duratrac good tires? A friend of mine also recommended treadright but they are remolded. Please help a guy out!

406shark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far I love my K02's. Aggressive look, not loud on the road, work well in the snow. The size I have is a 10 ply, but running them at 43 - 44 psi gives a pretty nice ride.

Jeff

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'm a big fan of Toyo tires. Have ran the at's and mt's for years. Expensive but for me worth it. I have 2 buddies that run Cooper atp tires and both like those.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys! This is my first truck with 20” wheels, what all terrain truck tire would you all recommend? I’m used to 8 and 10ply but heard the ride would be terrible. Are the Goodyear duratrac good tires? A friend of mine also recommended treadright but they are remolded. Please help a guy out!
Are you needing or wanting a 10 ply rating? Do you want a snowflake tire? Is ride and mileage out of the tire your main interest? Does mpg weigh on your choice?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I would personally stay away from the Treadwright tires. In theory it is a grand idea and helps to repurpose old tires.....that being said, I got interested in them a while back and found quite a few reviews that were horror stories involved with them. They seem to have an issue with balancing and there are a number of catastrophic failures that involve hight speed separations. There are certainly good reviews, but seems like it's a hit or miss.....This is only my opinion and perhaps the company has addressed the issues in the last year or so, but very rarely do you find a product that is less expensive than comparable products and of similar quality. There is generally a reason that a price is lower than the competition. Other than that, the suggestions above are all probably good, quality (new) tires.

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From my experience and research, top AT choices would be,

BF Goodrich TA KO2
Toyo Open Country AT2
Nitto Terra Grappler
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo3
Hankook Dynapro ATM

The Duratrac is more of a "Hybrid" tire...spanning the gap between a mud terrain and an all terrain.

Top Hybrid choices are:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
Toyo Open Country RT
Nitto Ridge Grappler
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain is also a good tire. I have them on my 2500 and they have been excellent so far. Very similar to the look of the Duratracs, but much quiter.

Only problem is they are only available at Discount Tire. But I highly recommend them. They are also winter rated with the snowflake symbol if that matters.

OP
OP
Tom Williams

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t have a need for 8 or 10 ply just heard they were stronger in the sidewall and tread. I’m really looking for a tire that will give me good mileage, and strong as I do off-road a tad during hunting season.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am a bfg ko2 fan myself. If your worried about the ride drop the 20s and go down to 17in or 18in wheel. It will improve your ride even with 8 and 10ply

rubberbaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Pirelli scorpion all terrain plus, stock size on my 17s. 10ply. I'm very happy with them, no flats and I've hit some SERIOUS cringe-inducing potholes. about 20k km on them so far. 5c1dcac300c7892b4acf3e1682a749c6.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 305/55-20s on my 1500. I'm not impressed. They ride a lot stiffer, which combined with my stiffer rear springs, makes for lots of jarring jolts. I've had them balanced 4 times in the last month and still experience intermittent vibration at highway speeds.

Perhaps with a more forgiving suspension they would be OK, IF they would balance. I think I'm going back to OEM P metric tires.

German Shepherd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
I've had lots of different truck tires over the years, Goodyears, Hankooks, Coopers, Michelins, Bridgestones, Goodyears, BF Goodrich's, etc. Recently picked up a set of Goodyear Wrangler Trail Runner AT's for my 2016 RAM Bighorn 4x4., with 17's, on recommendation from a friend who owns a tire dealership. I've put around 6k on them now and I must say I'm pretty happy with them. They were significantly less expensive than my earlier Duratracs, Bridgestones, Michelins, Coopers, and Michelins, are quiet on the highway, have done extremely well in the snow (up to 2 feet), handle well in the rain, and gas mileage is pretty decent (22.5 overall). So far they have worn well and seem to be holding up pretty good. I don't do much off-roading except maybe a muddy field to get to hunting land, so I can't really help you there. Online reviews seem to be good. There are always a few disgruntled customers with every brand, I look for an overall trend from owners. These tires look very aggressive but offer a smoother ride than I thought they would so they may be worth a look. Everyone has an opinion on what they want out of their tires but that's just my two cents. Do your research and ask a lot of questions. Good luck and hopefully you will enjoy whatever you decide on. Hope you enjoy your RAM as much as I do.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are many good options, it comes down tp personal preference and how much you want to spend. Post#7 has a good list to get you started.

Cory408

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a set of **** cepek trail country exp tires on my truck there a great looking and handling hybrid tire. Very quiet on the road E rated tire20190404_100516.jpg

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are open to using discount tire they have an exclusive tire called the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain. It’s basically a Duratrac but with less road noise. Reviews I’ve seen thus far rate them equal to Duratracs but a little cheaper it appears.

I’m between one of these KO2s for myself later this year when I need tires. Snow drivability is a big deal to me as I work emergency procedure call at a Hospital and live in Chicago suburbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have BFG KO2 and they are good riding (8 ply) and grip well in the wet, and grip well off the road. Will replace with the same when time comes.
Overall they preform well and are holding up very well.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 305/55-20s on my 1500. I'm not impressed. They ride a lot stiffer, which combined with my stiffer rear springs, makes for lots of jarring jolts. I've had them balanced 4 times in the last month and still experience intermittent vibration at highway speeds.

Perhaps with a more forgiving suspension they would be OK, IF they would balance. I think I'm going back to OEM P metric tires.
If they were correctly balanced (and the road upon which there is vibration is smooth), there may be an internal problem with one of the tires... bad belt, etc. Those tires should not vibrate at any reasonable speed. If they do, then the dealer should replace them (unless they are out of warranty.