Which "Y" pipe???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a '17 Lone Star CC with Carven Progressive muffler. Installing JBA silver ceramic shorty's at the end of the week. Reading through the forums, I keep seeing the "Y pipe" pop up here and there in discussions. Question 1, will I need one? Question 2, will it help if I put one on? Question 3, which one do I buy?? lol I see 4 different Magnaflows on Moe's website, dual 2.25" in single 2.5" out, dual 2.5" in single 2.5" out, dual 2.5" in single 3" out, and dual 3" in single 3" out. Everything is stock except for the Carven and JBA shorty on the exhaust. Thanks in advance! :)

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
After almost getting F'd from the stock exhaust system trying to change out my trans fluid, i would recommend going to an exhaust shop and getting your exhaust custom done from heads/cats to muffler. Get under there and you will see what i mean. Where the drivers side pipe crosses over to the passenger side (where it meets the other pipe) it passes right under the trans pan (mine was so close i barely got old pan off....other vids i watched online had no issues with clearance....so seems to be truck to truck). The pipe also covers up where the drain plug is on the pan, so you cannot access it. If i were planning to keep this truck for ever, i would get my exhaust custom bent to get away from the pan (dont need to add any more heat).

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After almost getting F'd from the stock exhaust system trying to change out my trans fluid, i would recommend going to an exhaust shop and getting your exhaust custom done from heads/cats to muffler. Get under there and you will see what i mean. Where the drivers side pipe crosses over to the passenger side (where it meets the other pipe) it passes right under the trans pan (mine was so close i barely got old pan off....other vids i watched online had no issues with clearance....so seems to be truck to truck). The pipe also covers up where the drain plug is on the pan, so you cannot access it. If i were planning to keep this truck for ever, i would get my exhaust custom bent to get away from the pan (dont need to add any more heat).

This. You have to have it re-routed from what it looks like on all of the Hemi trucks if you want to run the deeper PPE pan that's made for the EcoD's. I plan having an exhaust shop re-route and put in a new Y pipe like the Magnaflow that's been popular on the forums before I service my tranny.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
think I got a magnaflow Y pipe here, new, never used.
if i find it, you can have it for postage

was going to put it on when I bought my muffler but shop said it would serve no purpose on stock engine.
If I planned on upgrades, yes but just replacing muffler for sound, No.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
This. You have to have it re-routed from what it looks like on all of the Hemi trucks if you want to run the deeper PPE pan that's made for the EcoD's. I plan having an exhaust shop re-route and put in a new Y pipe like the Magnaflow that's been popular on the forums before I service my tranny.

Yes. do not be like me and be forced to pull and yank your stock pan off. There are plastic "fins" up in there within the valve body that need clearance. I broke some of them off. So far i dont see any effect from it, but still....not worth it. Plus maybe move a heat source from under your pan.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes. do not be like me and be forced to pull and yank your stock pan off. There are plastic "fins" up in there within the valve body that need clearance. I broke some of them off. So far i dont see any effect from it, but still....not worth it. Plus maybe move a heat source from under your pan.

Yea I often wondered how much heat the exhaust is adding to the system. I mean it's already got a heater, but still. I know @Wild one has mentioned the PPE pan was drooping about 5 degrees off temps up there north of the border. I wonder what it would do for me down here when its 100 degrees+ outside.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Yea I often wondered how much heat the exhaust is adding to the system. I mean it's already got a heater, but still. I know @Wild one has mentioned the PPE pan was drooping about 5 degrees off temps up there north of the border. I wonder what it would do for me down here when its 100 degrees+ outside.

After going through the trans service, i have a strong opinion that it def adds to it, in a negative way. 1) the pipe is about an inch from the pan. i dont have any idea what temp that pipe gets at that location, but i can tell you this......for the fluid level check procedure you have to go through a step by step account of p,n,d, drive at 2k rpm etc. All while not allowing your trans to get over 122 deg F. This only took around 5 minutes. If anyone has done this they know exactly what im talking about. The last thing you have to do is check the fluid level again by taking out the drain plug...this must be done by squeezing your hand and arm in a softball size hole. on either side of that hole are the two pipes. And i have quite a burn on my forearm from this. Those pipes get FN hot...fast.

Now this is not on my priority list right now. I need to figure out my trans issue, change plugs, replace brakes, replace front diff fluid. But i will eventually change the exhaust. Im kinda looking at that mod as an alternative to the trans cooler mod. That one is much more intense and over my head. So maybe a little compromise. Then at that point i can go to the ppe deeper pan.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After going through the trans service, i have a strong opinion that it def adds to it, in a negative way. 1) the pipe is about an inch from the pan. i dont have any idea what temp that pipe gets at that location, but i can tell you this......for the fluid level check procedure you have to go through a step by step account of p,n,d, drive at 2k rpm etc. All while not allowing your trans to get over 122 deg F. This only took around 5 minutes. If anyone has done this they know exactly what im talking about. The last thing you have to do is check the fluid level again by taking out the drain plug...this must be done by squeezing your hand and arm in a softball size hole. on either side of that hole are the two pipes. And i have quite a burn on my forearm from this. Those pipes get FN hot...fast.

Now this is not on my priority list right now. I need to figure out my trans issue, change plugs, replace brakes, replace front diff fluid. But i will eventually change the exhaust. Im kinda looking at that mod as an alternative to the trans cooler mod. That one is much more intense and over my head. So maybe a little compromise. Then at that point i can go to the ppe deeper pan.

Oh I believe it. It certainly is tight down there and just fixing my muffler last time it rattled off (Flowmaster clamps blow) I had to wait for a good minute before I could maneuver it back on without getting burned. Once I'm ready to service mine I'll probably have my exhaust rerouted like the following post.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/zf-8hp70-ppe.100763/

OP
OP
texan279

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know which one of these Y Pipes (which size) I would need for my truck? I'm too dadgum big to crawl under the truck. [emoji1787] Only thing I have added or changed on my exhaust is the single Carven Progressive muffler, JBA ceramic coated Shorty's, and 5" tips. Also, is the factory Y clamped or welded? If I buy a new one can I just "plug and play"? Thanks in advance? 7ceb396cf19d0481581d9b6543fa113b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
texan279

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks! So what's the difference between the one I posted and this one? The one I posted is 10" long I think. Does the one you posted replace more of the stock exhaust? Or am I looking at two totally different parts? If I wasn't so far I'd just crawl under there and look for myself :D

Slo Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks! So what's the difference between the one I posted and this one? The one I posted is 10" long I think. Does the one you posted replace more of the stock exhaust? Or am I looking at two totally different parts? If I wasn't so far I'd just crawl under there and look for myself :D
The one you posted only replaces the actual Y. The other one goes from the headers outlet... replacing the cats... all the way to the Y

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I was under the impression that JBA Y-pipe only mates up to their long-tube headers, it will not mate to the factory manifolds or shorty header collector flange location.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I was under the impression that JBA Y-pipe only mates up to their long-tube headers, it will not mate to the factory manifolds or shorty header collector flange location.

Exactly what I just found out by reading the description. There is no ypipe that I can find for shorties.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
AFE’s pipe diameter is too large unless you’re making a lot of horsepower, like for twin-turbo manifolds. 2.5” comes out of any shorty or OEM 5.7 header collector flange.

Long tubes are 3” and the reason this motor loses a bit of bottom-end power even with the stock cam.