Why are manufacturers still putting chrome on trucks?

Do you like trucks with chrome?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amen, I remember the vinyl mats in trucks in days gone by and don't want to go backwards lol. The day I purchased the truck the Mopar full weather mats were installed at the dealer, the carpet mats are still in the plastic bags.

I hear ya. I’m actually trying to sell my Limited mats over in the classifieds section since I probably won’t ever use them. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What have I learned after starting these stupid threads?

Apparently I'm a complete moron for even insinuating that it's acceptable to not have chrome on a truck.

I can't even believe I was ignorant enough to dis-like chrome on trucks...i'm embarrassed and disgusted with myself.

I sincerely apologize for my heinous opinions...I'll try to like what you guys like next time.

I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me for disliking chrome and cloth seats...I was wrong and I understand that now. I just hope I didnt ruin too many lives because of it.

:popcorn: :upyours: :jester:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Apparently I'm a complete moron for even insinuating that it's acceptable to not have chrome on a truck.

I can't even believe I was ignorant enough to dis-like chrome on trucks...i'm embarrassed and disgusted with myself.

I sincerely apologize for my heinous opinions...I'll try to like what you guys like next time.

I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me for disliking chrome and cloth seats...I was wrong and I understand that now. I just hope I didnt ruin too many lives because of it.

Apology accepted once you put some chrome on your truck to show your new support of all things chrome.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little off topic, but if all cars become self driving will both sides be the passenger side?

I would think that self-driving cars won’t ever actually be completely self-driving. Pretty much just like how that auto start/stop ******** is user-selectable.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The poll seems to indicate that chrome lovers like taking polls more than chrome haters by a wide margin. Also, why can't we get this much voting on the totm thread?

It's all in the "hook" or in this case the thread title. The wording of my thread title was intentionally written to "fire -up" the people with strong opinions. Human psychology is pretty cool.

Which other thread are you referring too? totm?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's all in the "hook" or in this case the thread title. The wording of my thread title was intentionally written to "fire -up" the people with strong opinions. Human psychology is pretty cool.

Which other thread are you referring too? totm?
TOTM is truck of the month. The number of people voting has been low. Wonder if it's the acronym keeping people from viewing the thread.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
TOTM is truck of the month. The number of people voting has been low. Wonder if it's the acronym keeping people from viewing the thread.

I bet you it is the acronym. Also might have something to do with the thread location...i spend most of my time on here browsing the 4th gen section and I rarely go to the main forum page...I wonder if they could somehow attach that thread to the generation sub-forums as well?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I usually just click on todays posts so as long as it's not buried too many pages deep or semi active on the day I see it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would think that self-driving cars won’t ever actually be completely self-driving. Pretty much just like how that auto start/stop ******** is user-selectable.

I hope you're right, but that may eventually be how it goes.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not sure if you've seen this:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/internet-memes-part-ii.162641/page-248#post-2404141

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THAT's why I like the heated/cooled seats. But I seem to remember getting stuck to the naugahyde/ vinyl (poor naugas) seats on a hot summer day. OUCH!!! Cloth seats get dirty easier, but are much more butt friendly. No one like a sweaty *** on a hot day and a long drive.
AAHHH, remember when ;-).
Just like my old '71 Firebird with black vinyl seats and no air. That was hot car.

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
All in all, I think Ram has given us best of all worlds...options.

Leather, non leather, vinyl
Chrome,
monochromatic
black out
Night editions
Rebels
Powerwagons
Destroyer Gray
fastest production pickup, TRX

if anyone is leading the way, its Ram......

How boring if we ALL were on this forum with a red Ram with chrome and chrome wheels and a redheaded wife....how would we stand out? LOL

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm willing to bet there is a very direct relationship between age and how much you like chrome. Rusty is still a youngin and in my area, a lot of young guys don't like chrome. Wealth tends to accumulate with age as well, and since truck buyers are generally more wealthier than the average econocar buyer, we have a lot of buyers looking specifically for chrome when buying new trucks.

Here in Canada there is less demand for chrome, though it is still the majority. We get our own Ram Sport trim (not a package, an actual trim) that as far as I know you can't get in the US, and this trim has no chrome. It was created by Ram due to the demand for less chrome, and somewhere around 20% of all Ram Canada sales are sport trims. (My numbers are probably wrong and my google-fu is failing me at the moment.)

I don't mind some chrome, but not over-the-top-look-at-me-go chrome.

As for cloth seats, don't mind it at all, and prefer it over vinyl and cheap leather that rips and delaminates after 30k miles.

Surreal McCoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 twin turbo Diesel
I’m old. I love chrome.
Besides, it would be sad if we didn’t have the joke about the girl and the chrome trailer hitch.....

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That plastic/rubber POS steering wheel in the F250/F350 is just as bad. Ours is a 2003 model. Wish I could find something better to clean it with.

Mine is a 2019, we use Simple Green to clean the interiors. About the only thing it won’t take off is tar.

tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I think the real question is why are manufacturers still putting cloth seats in trucks. Really should investigate this.
i love cloth. I prefer cloth to leather, especially during high/low temperatures. In winter i rarely use sit heaters in cars with cloth. But with leather i always use it. And yes, long trips are more comfortable to me with cloth as well.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Now on the flip side i've only had leather for the last 20 years probably and it gets hot here, summers are 100-110 and the leather doesn't bother me at all. Even less now that i have vented seats!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500