Why would this happen?? Pedal Commander/ CB issue....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemisNHarleys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Hemi Sport Night Edition. Bought in September, added Pedal Commander a few week later. Have had zero issues with it so far.

Last night I tossed a Uniden CMX760 Off Road CB unit in the truck with a Wilson 1000 antenna. The CB is a new model that has all the controls on the mic and a small power/antenna connect that I tossed under the back seat. Didn’t hard mount it because I was just testing the unit out. The antenna was a mag mount Wilson 1000 placed on the back middle 1/4 of the roof. The Uniden was powered by a Wilson cigarette lighter power source located on the back of the center console in the back seat area, since again, I was just testing it out. Was planning on wiring it to the battery.

I had the truck running, in park, foot off the brake.

As soon as I powered it up and keyed up the mic, the check engine light came on, the RPMs went up to around 1200, and a message appeared on the speedometer screen saying “Service Electronic Throttle Control”. If I put my foot on the brake the RPMs would go down. Shutting the truck off and restarting it, the throttle control message was gone but the check engine light was still there. I keyed the mic up again and the same thing happened. Same results turning the truck off.

I pulled the CB unit out. Was going to pull the Pedal Commander this morning, but took the truck out to go to the gym and it ran fine. The check engine light went off on the ride home.

I’m assuming the Pedal Commander is having some sort of interference issue with the CB, since most of the info points to the PC when people get the Service Electronic Throttle Control message. Has anyone else had this happen?

Any thoughts or input is appreciated!

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm going to reinstall my cb (general Lee) turned up to 100 watts.
I have a PC also. I haven't had any problems with having either installed in my 18 2500 together.

Blue Mule

OP
OP
HemisNHarleys

HemisNHarleys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. I think I’m going to pull the PC later this week and see what happens. I’ve never had this happen with my other Rams or Titans.

I'm going to reinstall my cb (general Lee) turned up to 100 watts.
I have a PC also. I haven't had any problems with having either installed in my 18 2500 together.

Blue Mule

Dan90

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd chime in for any future reference.

Same issue happened to me this past weekend, had a VHF radio plugged into the cigarette lighter in the center console for an offroad event I was in. Also have a pedal commander. A few times the truck threw a check engine light for throttle position issues. Luckily I was able to clear the codes each time and it wasn't a persistent issue. Seemed random when it would trigger. Have run the pedal commander for about 2 years with no issues until this.

Another guy I was with said he had the same issue with a pedal commander on his raptor. He ended up pulling it out.

Reading other forums it seems to be more associated with the radio being plugged into the cigarette lighter. Grounding the radio through the vehicle harness seems to cause issues. Going to try a hard wire method next time to the battery and see if that helps...