Why you never should mix and match injector parts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Well I finally got around to cleaning up my RV275 injectors again...

I've always had a random misfire problem with them at a idle only hot. Finally got bad enough I could deal with it any more and yank them out and stuck in my stock injectors. In the mean time I went out and bought me a digital caliper for the tool box. So I figured I would pull them apart and measure the pintle needle, cooper washer thickness, and spring shim.

Kind of shocked at a few injectors...
(Since RF.com can't display HTML table I got to drop a link to my page)

Why you never mix and match injector parts......

Now #5 in the list has a stange sized pintle and nozzle. I verified the ID of the nozzle bore and the OD of the pintle and it true fit of both. But looking at the part and how exact they must be to work properly so I went back through and clean all then and reassembled all 6 injectors. Then installed them in the truck and Man talk about a change. I was really really picky about them this time and actually check all the measure measurements and made sure all the pintles and nozzle were spotless.

So I'm back in the running of the RV275 injectors...

34y1slu.jpg

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
How often do you recommend pulling the injectors and cleaning them ?

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I would say a good number for performance reasons would be around 100-200K miles...

After been down this road with injector cleaner and such I know none of common injector cleaners can clean a injector...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
How hard of a job is it to pull the injectors and do this process ?

Keep in mind I have never owned a CTD before . But have plenty of mechanical ability on a gas truck

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
How hard of a job is it to pull the injectors and do this process ?

Keep in mind I have never owned a CTD before . But have plenty of mechanical ability on a gas truck

I did the whole process of pulling, cleaning, measuring, and reassembly in about 4 hours.

Basic hand tools... Inch pound torque wrench and foot pound torque wrench needed.

The fuel injectors are located in the top of the cylinder head between the intake/exhaust valves (Fig. 18).
1. Disconnect both negative battery cables from both batteries. Cover and isolate ends of cables. Each fuel injector is connected to each high-pressure fuel line with a steel connector tube (Fig. 11). This steel connector is positioned into cylinder head and sealed with an o-ring. The connectors are connected to high-pressure fuel lines with fittings (Fig. 11).
2. If injector at #1 or #2 cylinder is being removed, intake manifold air heater assembly must be removed.
3. If injector at #5 cylinder is being removed, remove engine lifting bracket (2 bolts).
4. Thoroughly clean area around injector and injector high-pressure lines before removal.
5. Remove necessary high-pressure fuel lines. (Refer to - Injection Lines). Do not bend any high pressure fuel line to gain access to fuel injector. Cover or cap any open fuel connections.
6. Remove valve cover.
MOPAR'S NOTES:

Most of use will be doing full injector upgrades or replacements. So I know the service manual talks as if replacing 1 or 2 injectors. I highly suggest you remove every as pictured below.
  1. APPS Sensor - Removal. Leave the throttle cable attached and lay on the PDC box.
  2. Remove the intake and grid heaters by pulling the 4 bolts and the band clamp. Lay the intake and grid heater aside on the PDC box.
  3. Remove the valve cover.
  4. Remove theinjection lines.
7. Thread Special Tool 8324 (Fuel Injector Connector Tube Remover) onto end of injector connector tube.
MOPAR'S NOTES:
You can use a pair of needle nose pilers to pull the tubes out. Or a small flat blade screwdriver. Just hook one of the threads on the connector tube and lightly pry out.
WARNING:
Be aware and not scratch the mating surface of were the tube and high pressure line and the connector tube meet if you do there will be a fuel leak.
8. Pull injector connector tube from cylinder head. The injector connector tube must be removed before attempting to remove fuel injector or serious damage to fuel injector and tube will result.
9. Remove and discard old o-ring from injector connector tube.
10. Remove fuel injector hold down clamp bolt at front end of clamp. Do not loosen or remove special (2 shouldered) bolt at rear end of clamp. Remove injector clamp by sliding it from shoulders on rear clamp bolt.
11. Thread rod from Special Tool number 8318 (Fuel Injector Remover) into top of fuel injector.
MOPAR'S NOTES:
Take one of your short intake bolts and thread it into the head of the injector.
12. Tighten nut on 8318 tool to pull (remove) fuel injector from cylinder head.
MOPAR'S NOTES:
Use a screwdriver and pry the injector straight up carefully.
13. Remove and discard old o-ring from fuel injector.
14. Remove and discard copper sealing washer (shim) from bottom of injector. If copper sealing washer has remained in cylinder head, it must be removed.

Full article here...
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/in...e&id=61:injectors-removal&catid=25&Itemid=107

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01