Will Not Crank but Will Push Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
Greetings Gentlemen,
I have a 1996 Dodge RAM 2500 LB, 5sp with a Cummins. I use it as a driver and to pull my boat. Today I put the dogs in it and drove to the park to throw them the tennis ball. After we were done, we all loaded up and when I went to start the truck it was dead...All of the lights and such came on normally, but when I pushed the clutch in and hit the starter.....Nothing. I got out and lifted the hood and checked the battery cables, and the fuse box for any obvious burn outs. I wiggled the cables where they went to ground and to the starter motor. I even got under the truck and tapped the starter motor a couple or three times in case something in the starter motor would respond to this type of diagnostic tool. I got back in the truck, turned the key and nothing. I recruited a couple of young men at the park to give me a push and Viola! It bump started. I thanked the guys and drove home. I put the truck in the most likely place that I would need it to be before I started to take it apart and I was thinking yanking the starter. My question(s) are, is the solenoid internal on these starter motors? Is there a relay that may be the culprit between the key and the starter motor? I guess I can test for 12VDC on the starter motor cable when I turn the ignition key. It has been a pretty good old truck and I cannot afford to go buy one of these new fangled super duper RAM trucks. I love my manual shift 5sp with my aftermarket "Gear Vendors" overdrive. What should I do and where should I buy a Starter? thanks

IMG_5305.JPG

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
does the clutch pedal have to be pushed before it starts? if so, check that clutch switch first. then the starter next.

OP
OP
Apogee

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
Thank you for your time to reply. Yes there is a clutch. I shall check the lock out switch. I defeated the clutch lock out switch on my Jeep so I would not have to unload the suspension in precarious situations, so I am familiar with the clutch lock out switch and it's function.

ZX14R with Jeep.JPG

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Neutral safety switch, it must be working or it won,t let the truck fire up.

OP
OP
Apogee

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
Neutral safety switch is for automatic transmissions yes? I have a standard transmission, so it would be the clutch limit switch, yes?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, if switch good, sounds like starter... Hmmm, 96 Cummings, would think solenoid mounted on the starter. If it is, have U tried bumping between the two points on solenoid to see if starter turns???

If it does, hmmm, solenoid, but I haven't played with a starter/solenoid issue on a manual in a kazillion years, LOL...

SO do not take any of this as gospel, just thinking out loud...

ADDED: safety.. if U crawl under make sure not in gear, don't get run over,. Just Saying

OP
OP
Apogee

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
Well, if switch good, sounds like starter... Hmmm, 96 Cummings, would think solenoid mounted on the starter. If it is, have U tried bumping between the two points on solenoid to see if starter turns???

If it does, hmmm, solenoid, but I haven't played with a starter/solenoid issue on a manual in a kazillion years, LOL...

SO do not take any of this as gospel, just thinking out loud...

ADDED: safety.. if U crawl under make sure not in gear, don't get run over,. Just Saying
I'll keep this truck but I am now aiting to see the 2019 RAM 2500

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The obvious thing is to load test the batteries, individually, first.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Solenoid is internal yes. One of the various ways you can test it is with the truck in neutral you can jump the starter with a screwdriver or something. Touch the post with the cable on it to the wire under the rubber shield. This bypasses the solenoid and directly powers the starter. If it does not activate then the internal motor is bad. If it spins but it doesn't engage the flywheel (will make a whine sound if this is the case) then the windings that push out the Bendix are bad. I actually just dealt with this myself on both of my vehicles. The truck had a bad solenoid whereas the car had the Bendix problem.

Otherwise faulty clutch switch or starter relay are possible as well

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DITTO all above

OP
OP
Apogee

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
I am going to replace the starter with a new one from OReilly's $201 delivered.. I think all indications point to the solenoid/starter. I am not going to mess with rebuilding or making it work. A couple of hundred dollars is way less expensive than a 2019 Ram 3500 4X4, LB, extended Cab. I like the idea of 1000ftlbs of torque. I was hoping my old faithful 12 valve would take me to at least 500,000 miles...I am only at 285,000 right now and I feel it is barely broke in....Ap

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you're able to wait for shipping, rockauto has the same or better brands for significantly cheaper. They also have a 5% discount code active at the moment.