Winching up a wall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Has anyone used your winch to lift a wall up? I’m building a garage and some of the walls are long and heavy. How would one go about doing this? I can’t see any other fools on all the forums I searched attempting such a thing. Thought I would ask here.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never done ne thing that big with a winch. Used the winch on my assigned M1026 Humvee to do some stuff, like pull the Hummer and 3/4 ton trailer loaded along a canal front in between 2 locks, that took a while. I can tell U how to do it if U want to know, but it would be a 2 person job.

Here is a pic of a M-1026, not my assigned, just to show U in case U did not know what it was, US Military nomenclature: I did not have a m-240 Grenade Launcher on my assigned Humvee, we just had a M-60 Machine Gun.

1026.JPG

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Watch 11 minutes into this video, it is an interesting video, but you asked about raising a wall

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You've already stated art of the problem, the walls are long. You'll need some way to pull from multiple points along the length of the walls.
The other hurdle will be pulling angle, you'll need the cable to initially pull upwards on the wall. It might be possible to use a board standing on end to act as fulcrum for the winch cable to pull up on the wall.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Back in my younger days, barn risings involved a lot neighbors coming over to stand up the wall while a few were in position to secure it once vertical. Also simple block and tackles with rope and an anchor structure on the opposite side. Not knowing the dimensions and weight, a crane is probably the way to go, but there is the cost of a crane rental or a wrecker with a extendable boom. I reckon could use the winch, but the cable length could be a limiting factor and, as previously mentioned, some sort of harness to spread the lift load along the top of wall.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can, but you'll have to build some form of a-frame to raise the winch point. Also, be far enough away that if you pull too far it doesn't fall on the truck. Have a couple braces on the wall before you lift so it's just a matter of kicking them out until it's properly secure. This assumes you have the space to do it. It tight area you're stuck with manpower or crane.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can also jack the wall up with just a floor jack and braces part way and then winch it up the rest of the way. If it's flat and winching from the ground it will just slide, but once partly lifted up it will stand up. Stop while it's still leaning the opposite way slightly and you can usually just nudge it the last bit by hand. Again, have the braces ready.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've already stated art of the problem, the walls are long. You'll need some way to pull from multiple points along the length of the walls.
The other hurdle will be pulling angle, you'll need the cable to initially pull upwards on the wall. It might be possible to use a board standing on end to act as fulcrum for the winch cable to pull up on the wall.
DANG IT CRASH, U took away my thunder. Fulcrum and science with 2 PPL can do. Yup, but I would space 4 X 4's down the entire length. Put up secondary frame to where the wall comes up. On the secondary frame be a pulley to guide winch cable straight. On the actual wall, a triangle on the actual wall with triangle point above the center, bottom of triangle running the entire length of the wall to a point in center where U attach cable. Then set all, chock vehicle, and pull. But U need 2nd person out there ready to put in support 2 X 4's initially, then when U get wall up, lock vehicle and winch and winch person help also for support pieces. Can be done, but gotta be smart. Just attaching a cable to the wall and pulling, the ends are gonna buckle and that puppy gonna implode on itself. Would be an excellent You tube video either way. One for how to do and another for AFHV.

If OP can, he just needs to get all his walls set to go up, have a party, invite a lot of friends, furnish hot dogs and maybe some brew and do it that way. But alas, who knows. New modern society, maybe he can ZOOM it in, LOL (joke).

ABOVE is how U could do, but what about anchor bolts in foundation for wall, etc. Unless U plan on drilling through and attaching points, or have pre-drilled holes where U turn down a "set" into the concrete, that could be interesting also. All depends upon how being built. A lift/crane (might get away with a Hyster also depending upon height needed), is the way to go if u have to set wall bottom piece over pre-set studs. If U R gonna drill down, put in set casing, then screw in that way, would work. I still would wanna see video.

All above definitely just weird and abstract ideas from DA BOIRD, and all IMHO... Proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
At the 11 point of the video that i posted above
The carpenter starts raising a long wall

I do know that you have to set your vertical STOPS & side bracing, before you start to hoist it up

OP
OP
Pudge

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure I’ll have to try another way. Physics major I was not.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
we have a place called labour ready we’re you can go get a few workers by the hour if you only need a few guys for a bit it won’t cost much to get a few guys. Just don’t have any booze or crack on the job. lifting and holding walls up is a great job for them.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
With places like Labor Ready, there is a 4 hour minimum charge

At one time, back in the late 1960's, i lived in Los Angeles for a month or two.
The State had Employment Offices where you went to get your Unemployment Check, in the same building they had a room where you could sign up for a day labor job.

I used to grab the jobs where someone called to unload semi trucks, mostly it was to unload Windows, at a warehouse.
If we had all the trucks unloaded & there was was time left of the 4 hours, we would have to sweep out the warehouse.
If we went to a property that involved pushing wheel barrows full of cement, we would have to stack all the excess lumber & waste, to fill in the 4 hour time minimum

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ive done an A-frame with notches along the legs that slide on the top of the wall. like a ratching thing.

Mmaybe get some ideas and mod it to fit

Last edited: