Winter oil type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a 2017 5.7l first year I'm gonna be driving it in the winter. Wondering what kind of oil is recommended for winter. Can't find anything on Google. I'm thinking of sticking with amsoil 5w-20 for winter. Thoughts??
That’s what the manual calls for - if you don’t have one it’s downloadable. Make sure you get a good quality filter.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you are choosing a 20 weight oil there shouldnt be any reason for concern in winter, it is when you go thicker you should consider 0w30.
I have ran 5/20 syth in all my 5.7's
0/30D I would put in my small Massey D tractor in the winter.
we are talking -30, colder then that , I stayed in the shop with the dog.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Interesting.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 101155 miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Interesting.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 101155 miles.
It is interesting and somewhat flawed. So interesting to see the wear scars on thicker oil was smaller then that of thinner oils. I would like to see much more of this testing. Flawed in the sense whether one grade different or used oil the flow rates as tested doesnt determine the flow rate in an engine. We have "volume" oil pumps, similar to a water wheel design, so our pumps put volume out so it is less dependent on viscosity, now of course sub zero then viscosity does come in to play as oil that thick will not fill the "water wheel" as viscosities much thinner. Bottom line, very interesting and I would like to see these tests expanded. Part of these are covered in cold measurements of viscosity, but those do not address wear scars or sizing of such

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is interesting and somewhat flawed. So interesting to see the wear scars on thicker oil was smaller then that of thinner oils. I would like to see much more of this testing. Flawed in the sense whether one grade different or used oil the flow rates as tested doesnt determine the flow rate in an engine. We have "volume" oil pumps, similar to a water wheel design, so our pumps put volume out so it is less dependent on viscosity, now of course sub zero then viscosity does come in to play as oil that thick will not fill the "water wheel" as viscosities much thinner. Bottom line, very interesting and I would like to see these tests expanded. Part of these are covered in cold measurements of viscosity, but those do not address wear scars or sizing of such
I don't think the test is flawed. Each oil is measured with equal criteria the same way and performance is equally compared. However, this method of testing is inconclusive and not definitive because it doesn't measure how the oil performs in actual engine operating conditions.

As you point out the flow tests are static and this performance is rating oil pretty much as they come out of the bottle. The variable is the engine, and each manufacturer's engines are different (for example, what are the bearing clearances?). The lab method of testing flow is the API Cold Cranking Simulator test, and despite Project Farm's enviable effort, it cannot be the final word. Of all the things I've read on this subject, Project Farm's results are at least more dynamic than assumptions, claims, beliefs, brand sensitivity, and even end-user results.

To judge motor oil in its static state, this test does it least demonstrate some relative base line differences.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 101194 miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't think the test is flawed. Each oil is measured with equal criteria the same way and performance is equally compared. However, this method of testing is inconclusive and not definitive because it doesn't measure how the oil performs in actual engine operating conditions.

As you point out the flow tests are static and this performance is rating oil pretty much as they come out of the bottle. The variable is the engine, and each manufacturer's engines are different (for example, what are the bearing clearances?). The lab method of testing flow is the API Cold Cranking Simulator test, and despite Project Farm's enviable effort, it cannot be the final word. Of all the things I've read on this subject, Project Farm's results are at least more dynamic than assumptions, claims, beliefs, brand sensitivity, and even end-user results.

To judge motor oil in its static state, this test does it least demonstrate some relative base line differences.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 101194 miles.
In as few words as possible, what I was trying to say, the oil pump is an equalizer on similar fluids. Because each wheel is a unit, if it is full, then that is how much fluid is moved regardless of weight. If the goal of cold flow tests dont include the fact the oil pump will equalize flow of similar fluids, it is incomplete. Which oil flows a micro second faster simply wont matter in this environment, the same exact amount of oil is being moved 20 weight versus 30 weight at operating temps, despite psi as well. PSI is just the pump working harder or easier, as long as the engine is spinning the same rate, the same amount of oil is being pumped.

Cutaway of our pump...

nic.info%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2021%2f08%2f1-55.png

Similar to this, if water was a little thicker, it will still have the same amount of fluid moved as regular water...
R.jpg

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In as few words as possible, what I was trying to say, the oil pump is an equalizer on similar fluids. Because each wheel is a unit, if it is full, then that is how much fluid is moved regardless of weight. If the goal of cold flow tests dont include the fact the oil pump will equalize flow of similar fluids, it is incomplete. Which oil flows a micro second faster simply wont matter in this environment, the same exact amount of oil is being moved 20 weight versus 30 weight at operating temps, despite psi as well. PSI is just the pump working harder or easier, as long as the engine is spinning the same rate, the same amount of oil is being pumped.

Cutaway of our pump...

View attachment 531264

Similar to this, if water was a little thicker, it will still have the same amount of fluid moved as regular water...
View attachment 531265
Flow is the direct result of viscosity. You are assuming that regardless of viscosity oil will flow through the system at or near the same rate. Just because you have a pump to force oil through the system does not mean flow is not impacted by viscosity. The pump is a fixed linear volume device, and in oil the definition of viscosity is the resistance to flow. As the oil becomes thicker the resistance in the system cannot be completely overcome by the pump because the pump is not pressure variable, it does not increase pressure when it sees a higher resistance to flow. Assuming the only thing that changed in a engine is the viscosity of the oil, pressure increase is an indicator that flow is being reduced.

Regards,
Dusty

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We agree, "The pump is a fixed linear volume device." I guess you are saying the difference in psi 20 to 30 weight which my guess is we agree is generally 2psi more for the thicker fluid, means the thinner fluid will flow faster, then we just disagree. 3500 rpm is 3500 rpm's no matter how hard the system takes to get there. So if the oil pump is spinning the same rpm and that is how you measure flow, then indeed the oil pump with it's fixed volume is move the same amount of liquid? If we arent together on that, we just have a small disagreement, leave it to the judges.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd imagine even the light oils will still hit the bypass springs rating when cold.