Word of advice... Never few up your tank pass the 1st click!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I top my tank off till I can not get more fuel in my truck , I started doing it as it is what I have done with the vehicles I used in emergency services and never had a problem with any of the vehicles so I don't buy into this .

You don't have a newer Gen Ram, again the Evap system is plumbed differently, and any back pressure on the fill nozzle cuts it off, so keep doing what you are doing one day you will have a problem, the nozzle is designed that way so you don't have a Valdese spill on your hands.

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like good advice. Thanks for sharing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A member suggested that you take the trucks bed off to work on the fuel system.
I agree & that goes for most pickup trucks

This is my 2016 Ram Ecodiesel

1VzNlr.jpg

CjwHKo.jpg

2dYRhC.jpg

changing paint color, didn't like Delmonico ugly
fPEXLt.jpg

miguelito_az

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I learned quick on my first car to not fill up past the first click. 1988 Volvo 760 Turbo. Topped it up and got a nice splash back of fuel all over my shirt.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So is this topping off issue were it spills into the vent pipe thus not s
Alowing the system to pass it's gas, fumes (no pun intended, yeah it is, ).
Is this for both gas and diesel because i ain't gonna lie, I pack that baby as full as she will go until it starts dribbling out the overflow tube underunderneath . Yeah I know I'm gonna get some hate mail from an environmentalist, that's ok. when I only get 8-12 mpg, im packing that baby full unless it's highly possible that it will cause damage eventually. Not to say it can't happen, you can also burst into flames at the pump, but after decades of driving I've not caught on fire yet or had any damage from topping off actually made a noticeable difference for me.
I better knock on wood now, and the metal on my truck before I touch the fuel handle
Everything ^^^^^Billet Bee^^^^^says goes for me too.

My '17 2500 392 4x4 CCLB will take 10 clicks and I've always filled it to where I can damn near see the gasoline with zero problems. No lights, no messages, no nothing.
I just made a run from Knoxville TN to Tampa FL, filled up 4 times (I don't let it go below 1/4 tank) and every thing is ***** Dory A. O. K.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You know, The fuel pump clicks off for a reason.
The pump shuts off because a bunch of environmentalists scared enough politicians into making ANOTHER law to protect me and the planet from myself.

By the way, that's not what the gov't is for.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
80 clicks in no issues

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Its not just RAMs, and it is at least technically possible. Enough that it seems silly to risk it for an extra 0.1 gallons.
I have often been able to get an additional 5 or more gallons in. Not dollars, gallons. That is an awful big safety margin.
That is a LOT more than the filler tube holds. That's why I don't stop at the 1st click-off.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Never

Never had an overflow, never had an EVAP system issue with any of the dozens of vehicles I've ever owned. Sorry you have, but the first click is due to air pressure, not the actual fuel hitting the nozzle. There is plenty of room left before dumping into the evap system. :cheers:

***Have only dealt with Gas, not Diesel fuel.

ZACKLY!!!

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sometimes fill it until it almost spills out the cap.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 32 gal tank so I rarely even fill it up...unless i'm on the road and gas is cheaper where i'm at...and even then 1st click would be fine
for me

NOW on gas caps, what would be the odds you'd have TWO bad gas caps in one WEEK?
Well, I did, 1st on the ram then on my 2004 Avalon...PO 4xx codes cleared them then put a new cap on tightened past 3 clicks and no more cel...

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
I must stop at the first click. Because I get gas overflowing out. Sometimes it only bubbles up and spills a little. Other times it pukes gas up down the side and onto the pavement. Which is a terrible waste of gas. Especially after the effect on the price of fuel. This is a first for me. Never had this problem.

As for the engine light. Put a code reader on it. Pull that code. Would like to know what happened.

Keep the greasy side down.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
What is this click you speak of...? I have a huge tank and fill it until the prepaid amount is reached. No click, just the screams of agony and tears of an unfilled tank.

Just kidding... I’m a one click guy that’s never this much thought.

Warner R Rohr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO cummins
well folks I usually do several clicks then pull nozzle out most of the way and fill it up intil i see the fuel right at the topo. So I have no idea why the hype. I have done this to a Rebel 2017, Power Wagon 2018, 2500 laramie 2019 and now my 3500 diesel 2020

Kevin Brooks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with all who are warning about over-filling and causing the evaporative system to fail. Seems to be more an issue on some vehicles than others, but in particular I know if affected Mid 2000 Dodge Rams. You're not gaining any real 'miles' by going 2-3 'clicks' after the pump auto shuts off. But you are risking a trip to the garage by over-filling your tank (i.e fill neck at that point) and flooding the exaporator.

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not about "clicks" for me. 2016 here with 32 gallon tank, and I always know about how much should fit into the tank at each fill up. I've never had to deal with the pump shutting off early. I can imagine that is a PITA. Once the pump "clicks", I round up to the next 25 cent point. (i.e. if the pump stops at $42.05, I'll add more fuel to $42.25 and stop). I used to try to add more fuel to "top it off", so that I wouldn't have to fill as often, but eventually realized that all I was doing was spilling fuel on my paint now and then. Thankfully, I never had any issues with CEL or sensors...on this truck or any car I've ever owned.