Your other vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The JEEP was on my original shortlist. (JEEP. Mini, Miata RF and BRZ)
2018 or newer is what I was searching, but damn they cost a lot for what they are equipped with. (even before the pandemic prices hit.)
I'm the kind of person who wants to get plenty of options in the vehicle I buy.
I would be going with the 4-door since I got the family.
The one thing is, we would may take whatever I have on family type trips.
Not sure how comfortable JEEP's are on 3 hour rides during vaca season.

Thx
If you had one of the new 4 door SUV's it'd be comfortable, but in a real Jeep it would be a long ride even with my PRP's seats to sit in. lol

Reactions: MMM

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
AWD 300C or Charger R/T (2014 is the last year you can get that) or if you really want economy you can get a 300/Charger/Challenger 3.6 AWD (2015 to new).

OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's the priority? Fuel economy? Fun? Prestige? Safety? City or highway commute? What distance?
All of the above. lol
Most of my trips are short, with the occasional long trips.

OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AWD 300C or Charger R/T (2014 is the last year you can get that) or if you really want economy you can get a 300/Charger/Challenger 3.6 AWD (2015 to new).
I always wanted a 300 with or without AWD. (5.7 AWD would have been nice, if they offered it.)
I had an older 300M I bought with low mileage that a 72 year old owned.
It was great and I regret trading it in for my first truck, should have kept it longer.

OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the wife's 21 Toyota Highlander its not a speed demon but being a hybrid helps it get good mpg.
I've considered a Hybrid as well, the $7k premium over ICE is not so nICE. :)

OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your truck is paid off why not use it?
You can put a lot of fuel in it for the cost of a car payment...
It's been paid off for quite some time.
MPG and especially parking can be an issue.
When I was going into Boston hospitals, appointments, etc., the spots do not accommodate these Crew Cabs.
Whenever I go to places like Costco, I have to park at an angle across two spots, because it is too long. I am always thoughtful enough though, to park real far away, so people don't mind (as much). Originally I was looking for a second, smaller fun to drive car, for that mid-life crisis thing. Now it's a little of both.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
All of the above. lol
Most of my trips are short, with the occasional long trips.

If everything is a priority, nothing is. Every vehicle is a series of tradeoffs. If you're making a lot of short trips, depending on your budget, a plug in hybrid may work. A RAV4 Prime is small enough to drive in the city and park, big enough to not feel like a total econobox, has roughly 300hp which makes it the fastest not-a-Supra Toyota available, and will run about 40 miles on electric only. It's about $10k more than the normal RAV4, but tax incentives narrow that gap to $2500 or less, depending on your state.

That assumes you can find one to buy.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've considered a Hybrid as well, the $7k premium over ICE is not so nICE. :)
I was lucky to get hers before all of this BS started so no premium was added when I bought it, I was also lucky that my neighbor had work friend who knew the GM of sales at Toyota dealership so I was able to get the car at just over dealer cost :) of course right now in the Portland OR area it hard to find new affordable cars, even used are over priced by at least 25% IMHO. I was also shocked to see 2016 car & trucks being sold as certified by Toyota dealership as I see it, its an excuse to over charge you for the car being sold.. Good Lucky finding a vehicle to fit your needs an at an affordable price...

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife drives a 13 Mazda CX5 GT. It's a slug on the highway and the back seat room is a bit small. Otherwise, it's great. It has every option available and is comfortable as long as there arent any child car seats in the back. I believe the newer gens have more power and are a bit bigger.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
2022_x-daytona.jpg

Wife's car is a '18 Buick Regal TourX, which is an excellent road trip car - comfortable and makes in the low-mid 30s on the highway. It's AWD, but since we no longer live in the Middle West, it's not really needed.

2021_bugsinshop.jpeg

One of these days when the shop is finished, I'll get my two early-60s VWs back on the road and can expect ~30 MPG from them (and EMP-proof!). Except for hauling, one will become my runabout car (will sell the other). I'm retired, so not putting DD miles on our cars these days.

es

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't beat the mileage and ease of parking for this lil gal. 20210517_140514.jpg
But you do feel like you're sitting on the ground in the Beetle and have to climb out of it so probably wouldn't work for you lol.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Sorry, forgot to add that I was looking at possibly a Subaru Crosstrek as well.
Subaru AWD seems to be highly rated.
My Mom has owned her Crosstrek for 6+ years and she loves it.
Someone else mentioned Hyundai, I had a 2005 Elantra 5-speed for over 12 years and 224000+ miles. Great little car and a snow beast with a set of General Arctic Altimax winter tires.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wife has 2016 CRV awd touring and gets good mpg and comfortable we bought it new and I have to say my wife loves it and I hate it I have been trying to get her to trade it since we bought it. I also have a 2013 Subaru impreza sedan awd that has a tick under 13,000 miles (yes not a misprint)...it gets really good mpg. I bought it new for my mom when my dad passed as she needed a smaller car that was easy for her to get in and out of. She just hit 86yoa and decided she did not need to drive anymore so I will start putting some miles on it now.

Reactions: MMM

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2019 Nissan altima sr, similar situation as you are in...‍♂️