Your other vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AWD Ford Edge
+1

Btw, all weekend was running kid back and forth from Milwaukee area to kenosha area for a tournament. As hard as I find it to do, I drove like a grandma with the Ram and right now it's saying I am running at 22.something MPG. Will be interesting to do the math when I fill up. Most of the time we would take the Edge for this type of thing but it was muddy fields.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not including my wife's vehicle.. My other truck is a 1951 Dodge M37 Canadian version .. 251 L-motor bored n stroked to 277.. has a T-98 Acme trans 4 speed with a divorced NP200 Transfer case. Currently this truck is apart for the body work and I do not have current pictures.. but if one was to look on line you'd see a Jeep looking truck built for some serious off-road adventures..

gkp541

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
Sorry, forgot to add that I was looking at possibly a Subaru Crosstrek as well.
Subaru AWD seems to be highly rated.
I am so disgusted with what's going on I ordered a Subaru Forester "premium" and already bought the suspension upgrade kit to install when it shows up - My wife's been driving Foresters since 2017, pretty darn bullet proof vehicle with VERSATILITY
MY new one will be used for elk hunting in 2 states, hauling my drift boat, Handyman jobs and whatever other chores I need to do, gonna procure a lightweight small trailer as well, when I do need to haul a load the 2500 V-10 will be fired up (hoping not often)
at 30+ mpg and easy driving I'll be smiling more ......

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Haven't done this yet, but I'll likely buy an electric vehicle for my commuter car. Just not sure which one yet. I do like the recent price drop for Chevy Bolts.

P.S. had a Subaru once, never again. It was not a good vehicle.

gkp541

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
Haven't done this yet, but I'll likely buy an electric vehicle for my commuter car. Just not sure which one yet. I do like the recent price drop for Chevy Bolts.

one in a thousand or more .......

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

I agree with you on Subaru. People either love them or hate them. Those that love them tend to be true zealots for the brand. Up here in Canada, most guys I know that bought one are like you and say never again. They are inordinately difficult to work on and major repairs are both expensive, convoluted and parts can be nearly impossible to get. On the other hand, there is also a contingent that absolutely loves them and seem unfazed by the difficulty of repair issues. I think part of it may come down to do you trade off every 3 years at 100,000 miles or less or do you try to keep them for 300,000 miles.

I still think the AWD Lexus and Toyota products, are very hard to beat for performance, reliability, good to great gas mileage, particularly the hybrids, and top resale value.

Last edited:

folashade96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My second ride when my SO isn't driving it is 2015 Model S I got right before gas prices went insane. This thing is a whole different plane of quick and fun that no gas powered vehicle can match. The funny part about it is that it replaced a 2022 TRX I ordered but dumped after a month because I just couldn't love it the way everyone else seemed to... so for truck purposes I have a 2000 Excursion V10 I wrestled out of a copart yard for $1500. Thankfully I only pay about 25% of the fuel costs and the remaining is covered by my job so I cry a little bit less at the pump.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My my first of two rides is a POS 2010 Elantra blue. Picked it up for $1500, it’s my commute car that has no ac and it’s a manual. My second is a 2017 Indian Springfield, i commute 125/a day. I moved during the pandemic so I was taking the wife car while she was working from home, when she went back I got my POS hH

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
My ride is a 2012 Ram Laramie CC but when I’m healthy and it’s warm enough it’s my 2004 Harley RK Custom. Because of the current gasoline prices I/we are using my wife’s Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Nice car. We had hoped to get a new vehicle but with the present economy and shortages we are staying put. A Subaru is definitely on the list when and if life returns to some semblance of normalcy.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, forgot to add that I was looking at possibly a Subaru Crosstrek as well.
Subaru AWD seems to be highly rated.
My son owns a 2022 Rebel and he also has a Subaru (sorry not sure what model) but he loves the Subaru and calls it a tank (he's military) when driving in the snow (meaning it will go anywhere) ... He and his wife swap vehicles depending on the their need for the day ...

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Please bear with me.
So I have a 2014 RAM Laramie with only 42k miles that I bought brand new.
Don't get me wrong, I love my truck.
However, after 4.5 years, work now says I have to start coming in again, versus working from home.
Now, the truck is not the most economical vehicle to drive into work and park in smaller spots.
So I have been debating a small putt-around vehicle.
I live in New England, so snow capable is desired.
I have been all over the spectrum from a Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Crosstrek, BMW Mini and even fun cars like Miata RF convertible hardtop and even the BRZ. (Yup, I know, but the whole mid-life crisis thing. lol)
My wife has a Rogue and while I don't love the car, the seating height and in-out isn't terrible.
I recently tried a 2020 Camry for short money. While a nice car with great MPG's, I feel it's impossible getting in and out without trouble. (No, I'm not fat, 165lbs.)
Being in a truck like the RAM has spoiled me from a seating height, comfort and safety standpoint.

What have you bought that you are happy with for a capable smaller vehicle?

Thanks!
Daily driver me: 2020 Ram 3500, Cummins HO, Aisin, dually.
Daily driver wife: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Eco Diesel.
Other: 2004 Mercedes SL500 V8
2005 Mercedes SL600 V12 Twin Turbo

Best mileage out of all is the Jeep at 29mpg.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
AWD 300C or Charger R/T (2014 is the last year you can get that) or if you really want economy you can get a 300/Charger/Challenger 3.6 AWD (2015 to new).

Yup. My wife's car is a 2016 Charger 3.6 AWD. It's great in snow, you sit up pretty high (for a sedan), easy to get in/out of, and gets about 26 mpg all around and 33 mpg on highway trips. She's got 40,000 miles on it and so far only had to replace the battery. I can see new tires and brakes in her future.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
2021 Renegade limited. and a 2021 Grand Cherokee Summit.

Rene is great in town and under 60 mph. They sell a 9 speed but only 7 work whick is why I say it is a city car. I have 2 of them and my wife is a school teacher and it does great in the city. She has an 80th anniv Rene and I have a limited. Both are optioned to the hilt. I drive 500 to 800 miles a week and will say as it only uses 7 speeds, it is not a road car. My Ram 3.6 BH lives in the garage sipping on Mobil 1 and sits on Michelin LTX. It has a very easy life sitting and not being driven. I am going to put a Limited interior in it as soon as I can find one reasonable. Currently have star case and Jeep Cares on Rene.

LeftShark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure how far along OP is in the decision process but here's my take:

I first started driving two vehicles about 5 years ago. My main car at the time was an FRS I was also using for autocross an track days. Being in the mid-Atlantic, we get a lot of salt on the roads in winter even if there isn't any actual snow or ice which helped the decision towards a second car. The decision at the time was that it should be something winter capable, practical, and had to be something that I would enjoy driving. I purchased a cheap, high mileage Impreza and it was a great ******. I offloaded it to my mechanic when the head gaskets were about to go out. He fixed it and flipped it and I bought my truck.

My takeaways:
1) If winter driving is your concern, invest in studless ice and snow tires (e.g. Bridgestone Blizzak). The tires make all the difference. The FRS with Blizzaks outperformed the Impreza with all season tires, full stop. Switching the Blizzaks to the Impreza was basically cheater mode.
Lesson learned: invest in winter tires. AWD should only ever be a secondary consideration.
Comment: if/when snow is deep enough for ground clearance to be a concern, you have a truck.
2) The vehicle should be something you enjoy driving and owning. Even if you're determined to buy a ******, there are lots of great cars out there frequently overlooked. Going to websites like AutoTempest and just playing around with the filters can really help inspire ideas of what you realistically might like.
Comment: So many people end up settling for something lame they don't actually care for because they enter with a mindset of "I need 4 seats, I need AWD, I need a high seating position, I need good fuel economy..." Enjoyment should be the very first requirement. Be willing to relax some of the others. Just to pick on AWD here, do you need that in a car when you have a 4x4 truck?
3) The contrast in driving between a big truck and small sports car makes both experiences more pleasurable. The FRS is just so light and nimble and darts around the road with ease. It's low and planted and loves to go hard around corners. 0 to 60 isn't all that fast, but the way it just hops off the line when the stoplight goes green is a reflection of what it doesn't have: weight. My truck on the other hand has that V8 rumble I adore, towers over the road and can haul around the football team. There's a few times when I've taken it up and over obstacles that most SUV's would flee at the sight of and it just fills me with joy to do that. The bottom line: two vehicles that fill totally different purposes is a great way to go!