Your thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I plan on turning the truck into a pretty fast MF. After weeks of reading I think this is my build in order...

2nd Gen Manifold (on its way, thanks a bunch Ramhunter)
CTS Edge insight gauges w/pod and cts adapter
BD valve body
Edge EZ
Banks high ram intake manifold
Sun coast triple disc torque converter
BD 90 HP injector nozzle
Pure flow: airdog original airdog 150
BD super B Turbo

I plan on going in that order...what do you diesel experts think? Open to all opinions and any other supporting mods that maybe crucial to the life of my truck lol

Thanks

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would bump the air dog and torque converter to the top of the list and have the money set aside for a tranny rebuild as its not a matter of if but when the 48re grenades

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So I guess what y'all are saying is, bump the torque converter and valve body up to right after the gauges??

From what I understand, those are transmission upgrades making it stronger, right?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
First off IMO gauges are a must .

As for adding performance .. you will want to beef the trans before getting over your head

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I plan on turning the truck into a pretty fast MF. After weeks of reading I think this is my build in order...

2nd Gen Manifold (on its way, thanks a bunch Ramhunter)
CTS Edge insight gauges w/pod and cts adapter
BD valve body
Edge EZ
Banks high ram intake manifold
Sun coast triple disc torque converter
BD 90 HP injector nozzle
Pure flow: airdog original airdog 150
BD super B Turbo

I plan on going in that order...what do you diesel experts think? Open to all opinions and any other supporting mods that maybe crucial to the life of my truck lol

Thanks

Take care of the weak links first....

Gauges!
Fuel system
Transmission

Then add your power.

Then change turbos if EGT's / Smoke are uncontrollable.

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Got it.

So a valve body, torque converter, and a billet input shaft should hold me down pretty good right?

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

Gauges!
Fuel system
Transmission

Then add your power.

So you would say fuel system before trans upgrades, or were those upgrades in no order?

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Got it. Now my 3 trans upgrades should hold up to about how much horsepower? When it comes to having them installed, i would take it to just a general tranny shop?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine

Gauges!
Fuel system
Transmission

Then add your power.

So you would say fuel system before trans upgrades, or were those upgrades in no order?

Trans before fuel

What I meant about fuel system is a Airdog or FASS... Stock lift pumps are weak and so is the plumbing...

Because when you add power its adding injectors and a chip. Use some common sense too about power. I know there is a few guys here with some big HP numbers but your not require to meet or exceed there power levels. Do some homework and consider what you plan on doing with the truck.

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm in no way trying to compete with anyone or exceed other peoples power levels, I'm doing this because I love the power potential of the CTD..doing it for no one other than myself.

Trust me, when I'm not doing my real homework, I'm reading about my truck, trying to learn and understand these new grounds...and I still have PLENTY to learn. That's kinda why I'm here also, to ask questions and get opinions from you guys who definitely know more than I.

I know what I plan on doing with the truck...it's just a matter of getting there with the right parts (where you guys come in). Like I said, I'm new to the diesel world..stupid questions and things are gonna be said, but that's all part of learning lol.

And thanks for the link RH...this is gonna be expensive:025:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Yes , a CTD is $$$ to mod but worth it .

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I was a dummy when it came to CTD...but I've prob spent 2 hours a night just researching stuff about our trucks and engines. Still no pro, but I understand things a little better.

Hang in there, do some searching, and you will start to get the hang of it. And there is NO stupid questions... your question you post might answer someone elses question down the road. We all are learning something everyday :)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Also , allot of info on http://www.mopar1973man.com/

Thats Mikes site . Join up he is the member that posted post #13 ..lol

He promotes us and we promote him . And he is a good friend that is always eager to help .

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I'm in no way trying to compete with anyone or exceed other peoples power levels, I'm doing this because I love the power potential of the CTD..doing it for no one other than myself.

Trust me, when I'm not doing my real homework, I'm reading about my truck, trying to learn and understand these new grounds...and I still have PLENTY to learn. That's kinda why I'm here also, to ask questions and get opinions from you guys who definitely know more than I.

I know what I plan on doing with the truck...it's just a matter of getting there with the right parts (where you guys come in). Like I said, I'm new to the diesel world..stupid questions and things are gonna be said, but that's all part of learning lol.

And thanks for the link RH...this is gonna be expensive:025:

What I'm trying to get at is the fact a lot of people see big HP/TQ numbers tossed around on site and yes the ol' Bomb Bug bites and bites hard. People start thinking "Well 50 HP injectors are $*** amount and 75 HP are just $20 bucks more and they normal jump upwards. This is where the homework comes in. You got to make a design and stick with your design. Because going too far might cause design issues (smoke, EGt's, etc)... Ask RamHunter9 (Dave)...

Yes , a CTD is $$$ to mod but worth it .

Worth every penny I've spent, so far!

This goes a back to considering a design and doing your school work on the subject. Because there is a lot of money you can blow on parts and mods but you might spend more money than you really need. I really hate to see people get to big of a injector and then have to buy a larger turbo and then still have smoke issues... Then part failure from the excessive power, etc.

I was a dummy when it came to CTD...but I've prob spent 2 hours a night just researching stuff about our trucks and engines. Still no pro, but I understand things a little better.

Hang in there, do some searching, and you will start to get the hang of it. And there is NO stupid questions... your question you post might answer someone elses question down the road. We all are learning something everyday :)

Yes... Get out and do some reading on different things.

Also , allot of info on Home Page of Mopar1973Man

Thats Mikes site . Join up he is the member that posted post #13 ..lol

He promotes us and we promote him . And he is a good friend that is always eager to help .

Thanks Dave... I'm always willing to help other Dodge owners get the most from there trucks.

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Design Issues that come up just means more mods to put on to fix those issues .. LOL
What Mike was saying was I took baby steps , went with small injectors mid then big , each time adding a supporting mod for it .. turbo ect ..
I am not the be all end all of CTD but I have spent allot of tome reading and seem to have a good grasp on what my goal is with my truck and I am pretty much there .

And Mike ... just a FYI .. EGT;s are now way in check if not lower than normal with the cooler , and I only smoke now when I want to ..LOL ...custom tune

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley