Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D

This is a discussion on Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!

Like Tree60Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Default Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D
Blow-By Verified Oil Catch Can R&D, Part 1: ThatsA Lot of Oil

What do carbon-deposit caked valves, decreased fuel economy, oily intake tracts and inefficient combustion all have in common? The resulting effects of engine oil blow-by. During combustion, the top side of the piston forces combusted gasses, with remnants of fuel and oil past the piston rings, and into the crankcase. This would force the crankcase to become pressurized without some sort of relief, so the content of what enters the crankcase exits the system through a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system and gets recycled through the engine via the intake tract.

You may have heard of a device called an air oil separator or AOS. These devices tap into your PCV routing system and are intended to separate the oil vapor from the incoming air. Well-constructed AOS systems can be of some use, but there is one crucial issue here. The separated content is usually routed right back into the engine, in many ways severely reducing the usefulness of the device. The reason they are designed like this is to limit the amount of maintenance the driver needs to do on the car. Many manufacturers have an AOS system built-in with their engines from the factory, but the reality of the situation is that preventing blow-by can be done with much more effectiveness.

The way to restrict the blow-by is by containing it. This is done with the use of a catch can. Catch cans tap into the PCV system, just like AOS kits, but instead of anything being recycled, the collected content stays inside of the can. How well these catch can kits perform their duties varies, depending on the design. Luckily, we have, what many consider to be a top-notch design.

Our can uses a baffle which does two things: 1) prevents anything caught from spillling back into the ports and 2) helps to condense oil and fuel vapors. Every can we make also has internal air diverters to help increases air turbulence the air, driving a more effective air-oil separation process. Another feature for this can includes a 50-micron bronze filter that helps clean the air going back into your system. The only drawback to this type of design is youd need to empty the can to drain the contents. Its another step regarding maintenance, but its worth it in the name of engine protection.

If you are an owner of a 2009+ Dodge Ram with a 5.7L Hemi, you have probably heard of blow-by issues. A clear indicator of blow-by wreaking its havoc on your engine is finding oil coating the inside of your intake tube or intake manifold. Its not all bad though. Were here to help.

Now that you have a clear idea of how we tackle the blow-by issue, we want to apply our design to the Dodge Ram. We explored the usefulness of our catch can on this truck. After locating the PCV system and a secure mounting point for the can, we applied a prototype kit.

The driver had planned some long-distance highway driving for the weekend, so it would be the perfect distance for our experiment. When the truck returned to our garage the following Monday, our engineer cracked open the can to see what was caught, and it delivered.

Is the above image a little tough to see? Let me clear that up for you.

The near full beaker is the content we collected from our shop 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi. In just under 1500 miles of driving, our can nearly hit its 2oz capacity with blow-by content going over the 40ml mark. Weve never seen a can fill up so fast in such a short amount of time. It was startling to say the least. And this wasnt a freak occurrence. Weve had this can mounted on the truck for the past couple of months, and it consistently catches well over 30ml of blow-by when the mileage hits over 1000 miles.

We know this setup works, we now must make it completely functional. The bracket and lines are both still in the prototyping stage, in the next update, well finalize our design and reveal what the final kit will look like. Thanks for reading!

-Diamaan
Hemi395, SyN, Sir John and 2 others like this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

SyN

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L -->Mr. VooDoo

Just think about the average Hard Working owners whom are working hard everyday to make ends meet.

Don't think first about big profits & price this within reason!
You will sell 4X more by giving us a Great Product @ a Fair Price!

Just don't Over Price this Unit!
Hemi395, VB712 and CTD like this.

2014 Bighorn SLT 1500 QC 4WD 5.7L BW44-44 8HP70 3:92s w/Anti-Slip!
Oil: 6Qts PUP SRT 0W-40 / 1Qt (GTL) PUP 5W-30 & 4oz ZDDPlus w/FU Filter!
Front -8HP70/T Case- Rear: RL 75W-90 - Red Line D6 ATF - RL 75W-140/90 Mix!
Coolant: Peak Global Lifetime w/RMI-25 Air: AEM Drop In {Dry-Flow}! No CAI!
Fuel: (Shell) 89 w/6oz TCW3 or 24oz Soy Ultra / Neutra! Mileage: 25,450

Last edited by SyN; 05-23-2017 at 11:49 AM.
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 5.7L
Very informative write-up. Confirms what those of us with catch cans have been trying to educate the naysayers about for years.

One thing that would be really informative is if you had tear-down pictures of hemi heads run with a catch can and run without a catch can , side by side to show some of the negative outcomes from all that blow-by being re-ingested by the intake system.

That would sell some cans!
SyN likes this.

2012 RAM 1500 Sport CC 4X4 in True Blue Pearl Coat S&B CAI; BT Catch Can; Magnaflow 24" (Mufflex), Moe's 5" Exhaust Tips, Tonneau Pro 3-Fold; Ionic 3" Nerfs; 3:55 LSD; 430N; RAM Bed Liner; Dee Zee Tailgate Assist; Cabin Air Filter Mod.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Very informative write-up. Confirms what those of us with catch cans have been trying to educate the naysayers about for years.

One thing that would be really informative is if you had tear-down pictures of hemi heads run with a catch can and run without a catch can , side by side to show some of the negative outcomes from all that blow-by being re-ingested by the intake system.

That would sell some cans!
Glad you enjoyed the read!

That would help the cause, but that isn't something we can really do on the Ram we are currently working with. It actually belongs to an employee here! However, I can show you an image of one of our other projects for reference.

Above is a shot of an intake manifold we removed for a 2016 Mazda Miata catch can project. This car had just 3,300 miles on the clock, but there was already oil coating the intake manifold! I like showing this because even with a car that is brand new, the effects of blow-by already began taking its toll.

Now I know that this is a very different car, with a very different engine, aimed at a very different market, but I only want to show that to you to give you a point of reference. And you guys already know that the Ram can put out a lot of blow-by, as we've also shown above. This is an issue that plagues even the newest of engines sporting direct injection, we just want to provide you guys with a well documented and proven preventative measure that will do your Hemi good in the long run!

-Diamaan
SyN and DailyRam like this.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 5.7
Out of curiosity, what made you all want to get into catch cans? Do you think your design is better? Cheaper?

I'd recommend giving a few units away to forum members that are willing to compare them against other cans that they are currently running, with pics and reviews of course.

I've gotta billet can and would be willing to do a comparison.
Dirtydodge14 likes this.
Jwithing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 5.7
Just checked your site out.... You guys should make a larger oem replacent radiator for the 1500. They're undersized and there's interest for larger, but nobody seems to make one.
Hemi395, HammerHead and DailyRam like this.
Jwithing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
I think you could find a number of people will to support. I have been looking at adding a catch can for some time, i just hadn't landed on a brand/model yet. If there is a "Tester" option, i'd be willing to participate.

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab - S&B Intake, Jay Greene Tuned, 34" Nitto CrossTek, Bilstein 5100s set at 2.1, Mevo UCAs, Undercover Flex, Bushwacker OE Flares, iBoard running boards, Ken226 Tow Hook Bracket with Red Tow Hooks.
To Do List - Exhaust, Headers, Rear Sway, Mishimoto CC (pre-ordered), Color matched Rebel Grille (?), too many other ideas to list...
DailyRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
I'm currently running a billet tech on my 2016 Ram. I put mine on right after I bought it. Read about it on this forum. And I've seen what the catch can really does. And it really works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whetrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Can you design one with a drain on the bottom??
Dirtydodge14 likes this.
KCaudill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 5.7L
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Glad you enjoyed the read!

That would help the cause, but that isn't something we can really do on the Ram we are currently working with. It actually belongs to an employee here! However, I can show you an image of one of our other projects for reference.

Above is a shot of an intake manifold we removed for a 2016 Mazda Miata catch can project. This car had just 3,300 miles on the clock, but there was already oil coating the intake manifold! I like showing this because even with a car that is brand new, the effects of blow-by already began taking its toll.

Now I know that this is a very different car, with a very different engine, aimed at a very different market, but I only want to show that to you to give you a point of reference. And you guys already know that the Ram can put out a lot of blow-by, as we've also shown above. This is an issue that plagues even the newest of engines sporting direct injection, we just want to provide you guys with a well documented and proven preventative measure that will do your Hemi good in the long run!

-Diamaan
Thanks!

Now, if you had intake valve stem/valve seat pictures you'd be selling cans like nobody's business!
SyN and Ajwalk2008 like this.

2012 RAM 1500 Sport CC 4X4 in True Blue Pearl Coat S&B CAI; BT Catch Can; Magnaflow 24" (Mufflex), Moe's 5" Exhaust Tips, Tonneau Pro 3-Fold; Ionic 3" Nerfs; 3:55 LSD; 430N; RAM Bed Liner; Dee Zee Tailgate Assist; Cabin Air Filter Mod.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote