Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D

This is a discussion on Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Still blows my mind people will spend $200 on this. $50 - sure whatever. But lets be real - if ...

Like Tree63Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Still blows my mind people will spend $200 on this. $50 - sure whatever. But lets be real - if this oil was truly an issue - Dodge would have addressed it years ago. This motor has been pretty much the same for almost 15 years - that oil doesn't hurt anything - and taking it out does not benefit a thing expect a false sense of piece of mind.
Markcuda likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

BakFlip G1 w/ BakBox | SpinTech Muffler | 15% Tint |PAC BCI-CH41v2 & VS41 w/ Front & Side Cameras | Bullet Antenna | Waiting to be installed: JBL 660GTIs | JL Audio 13TW5 | Alpine PDX-V9 | PAC AP4-CH41
2016 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track Go Mango
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 5.7L
Originally Posted by adrianp89 View Post
Still blows my mind people will spend $200 on this. $50 - sure whatever. But lets be real - if this oil was truly an issue - Dodge would have addressed it years ago. This motor has been pretty much the same for almost 15 years - that oil doesn't hurt anything - and taking it out does not benefit a thing expect a false sense of piece of mind.
How much do you think a top end overhaul, or new throttle body would run?
That will blow your mind...
Hemi395 and crazykid1994 like this.

2012 RAM 1500 Sport CC 4X4 in True Blue Pearl Coat S&B CAI; BT Catch Can; Magnaflow 24" (Mufflex), Moe's 5" Exhaust Tips, Tonneau Pro 3-Fold; Ionic 3" Nerfs; 3:55 LSD; 430N; RAM Bed Liner; Dee Zee Tailgate Assist; Cabin Air Filter Mod.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
How much do you think a top end overhaul, or new throttle body would run?
That will blow your mind...
If someone can prove to me this excess oil caused a throttle body to go bad or anything I will be happy to change my opinion. There are plenty of testimonials of these Hemi's going 250/300k with only oil changes being done. As far as I am concerned, it is a money grab. Which by all means, these companies should go for it because tons of people eat it up.

I am sure the engine functions as normal and that oil is designed to go that way. The people designing these engines are some of the brightest minds in regards to motors. If it was an issue, it would have been addressed.... on multiple motors not just Hemis.

BakFlip G1 w/ BakBox | SpinTech Muffler | 15% Tint |PAC BCI-CH41v2 & VS41 w/ Front & Side Cameras | Bullet Antenna | Waiting to be installed: JBL 660GTIs | JL Audio 13TW5 | Alpine PDX-V9 | PAC AP4-CH41
2016 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track Go Mango
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

SyN

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L -->Mr. VooDoo
Still blows my mind Millions not just a few hundred will spend way more then $200 on Cigarettes/Snuff/Drugs/Alcohol a week.

Compared to a 1 time buy of $195 that will last the life of the auto.
And never have too to worry about slowly killing themselves.

That is as real as it gets!

I wouldn't worry to much about owners who only spend $75-195 one time for a life time.
It's the others I would concern yourself with.

I myself consider a CAI by itself a total waste of $$$. But many owners add these kits to their 5.7L to achieve a warm fuzzy go fast feeling inside which they spent more money than me.
I have no issues or problems with that.
None of my concern!

My only concern is I will now have a dry clean air intake as well as a spotless throttlebody. I consider it very easy preventive maintenance.

One thing over my 52 old years of growing up around auto mobiles and tractors farm equipment high performance motorcycles exotic sports cars is:

Just because thousands upon thousands of owners have been doing it for years and years and are still doing it today and YOUR not ----->does not mean that it's wrong.
Casper, Hemi395, Mishimoto and 2 others like this.

2014 Bighorn SLT 1500 QC 4WD 5.7L BW44-44 8HP70 3:92s w/Anti-Slip!
Oil: 6Qts PUP SRT 0W-40 / 1Qt (GTL) PUP 5W-30 & 4oz ZDDPlus w/FU Filter!
Front -8HP70/T Case- Rear: RL 75W-90 - Red Line D6 ATF - RL 75W-140/90 Mix!
Coolant: Peak Global Lifetime w/RMI-25 Air: AEM Drop In {Dry-Flow}! No CAI!
Fuel: (Shell) 89 w/6oz TCW3 or 24oz Soy Ultra / Neutra! Mileage: 25,450

Last edited by SyN; 05-31-2017 at 05:13 PM.
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
If someone can prove to me this excess oil caused a throttle body to go bad or anything I will be happy to change my opinion. There are plenty of testimonials of these Hemi's going 250/300k with only oil changes being done. As far as I am concerned, it is a money grab. Which by all means, these companies should go for it because tons of people eat it up.

I am sure the engine functions as normal and that oil is designed to go that way. The people designing these engines are some of the brightest minds in regards to motors. If it was an issue, it would have been addressed.... on multiple motors not just Hemis.
Think of it more as a preventative measure with respect to future engine maintenance. While there are trucks out there hitting several hundred thousands of miles on the clock, our goal is to keep your truck running that long without worrying about damaged fuel emissions and engine performance due to excessive carbon buildup - which there would be plenty of if you were to inspect the cylinder heads on one of those Rams with that many miles on it.

This is still an issue from the factory for many vehicles, but manufacturers have to design these automobiles with the consumer in mind. If they were to add something like a catch can someone would have to empty from time to time, it's another maintenance activity that the majority of people won't keep up with, and you end up with an entirely different set of problems.

While turbocharged and supercharged applications almost have to have a catch can setup, certain (not all) N/A applications benefit as well. We have this well documented and is the reason we are continuing to expand our line. Our engineers know when to call it quits on a catch can project that will provide little to no benefit for the car it's being designed for. This actually happened with our 2015+ VW Golf GTI catch can project. Once we found it wasn't catching anything after several hundred miles of testing, we cancelled the project instead of moving forward. My point is that we have found good reason to put products like this out on the market. If it wouldn't provide any benefit, we wouldn't make it! This truck puts out over 40ml of blow by in just 1500 miles, which is a lot. So we know our kit will do some good.

Also, we have not set a final price point, but pricing and shipping details will actually be revealed soon. Your feedback will certainly be useful for our team in that regard. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

-Diamaan
Casper, Hemi395, Sir John and 1 others like this.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 Ram Express QC
Engine: 5.7 Hemi, 8sp
So is there a need for other engines to have a catch can ?
like Fords motors or Chevys motors ? or is this somethimg more common on the Hemis.

2016 Harley Davidson Low Rider, 103 H.O. , PCV Tuner Rinehart exhaust.
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Hemi engines in general have a good amount of blow by making the catch can a good idea.

The Ford ecoboost engines or just about any other direct injection engine, tend to suffer from carbon on the intake valves due to the injectors not washing them off. So this is another good application for a catch can.
Sir John likes this.

Redline 5w30/Royal Purple 20-820 Filter, Redline C+, Redline Gear Oil, Diablo Trinity w/Hemifever 89 Tune, BT Catch Can, Mufflex 24, Rancho QLL, Airlift 1000, Cooper Discoverer AT3s, Mag-Hytec Trans Pan, OEM Backup Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, Extang Trifecta SS, Clazzio Seat Covers, Cabin Air Filter, Weathertech Floorliners, 35% tint, Gorilla Lugs, Nasta Stainless Running Boards
Hemi395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #28 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Originally Posted by Hemi395 View Post
Hemi engines in general have a good amount of blow by making the catch can a good idea.

The Ford ecoboost engines or just about any other direct injection engine, tend to suffer from carbon on the intake valves due to the injectors not washing them off. So this is another good application for a catch can.
Yup, when I had my 2013 F150 with the ecoboost, I was very active on those fourms too. A very hot topic was catch cans.
Hemi395 likes this.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #29 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 5.7L

Your opinion, your truck, Your consequences
G. Mcpherson likes this.

2012 RAM 1500 Sport CC 4X4 in True Blue Pearl Coat S&B CAI; BT Catch Can; Magnaflow 24" (Mufflex), Moe's 5" Exhaust Tips, Tonneau Pro 3-Fold; Ionic 3" Nerfs; 3:55 LSD; 430N; RAM Bed Liner; Dee Zee Tailgate Assist; Cabin Air Filter Mod.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
We've got some sweet updates coming your way soon guys. This catch can is closer to being available than you think...stay tuned

-Diamaan
Hemi395 likes this.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote