DavidRam's 1st Audio Build... EVER! :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I have been so impressed by my new digital connection directly the dsp, that I decided to get a decent DAP and to mount it permanently in/on the dash and basically stop using the factory HU as a source...

I ordered the Fiio X3 (1st gen). I needed all the controls to be on the front of the unit and on the 2nd gen they moved the volume to the right side (most DAPs have controls on the right side), so I got lucky and found one last 1st gen on ebay!

The reason I ordered this player, is for the digital/coax output. So I can eliminate the DAC or ADC converter that I have been using.

The plan is to literally embed it flush somewhere in the dash, OR have it slide out of the center armrest on a drawer glide type set up...

I have a rather long thread going on DIYMA and a lot of guys have helped me understand this whole idea... One of the cool things that I learned about the digital source, is that you eliminate one point of clipping because the digital source doesn't clip, which in term allows for a much higher clean output, at least from the source! The only thing to worry about is setting the amp gains properly, of course.

So I'm pretty excited about this next step in audio bliss! :party33:

Attachments

• bildschirmfoto-2013-11-15-um-14-53-58.jpg
    bildschirmfoto-2013-11-15-um-14-53-58.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 50
  • fiio-x3-colours-web.jpg
    fiio-x3-colours-web.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 22
  • x3_2.jpg
    x3_2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 56
  • FiiO-Releases-Firmware-Version-2-05-for-Its-X3-Portable-Media-Player-394387-2.jpg
    FiiO-Releases-Firmware-Version-2-05-for-Its-X3-Portable-Media-Player-394387-2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 19

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nah setting amp gains will still be easy, its just your source won't clip (its an awesome feeling when you can turn that volume rocker to High) so it'll be either the signal from the DSP or your amp with clip. The less you have inline that will clip the better your sound will be in the end.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah setting amp gains will still be easy, its just your source won't clip (its an awesome feeling when you can turn that volume rocker to High) so it'll be either the signal from the DSP or your amp with clip. The less you have inline that will clip the better your sound will be in the end.

Yep, you said it better than me ^^^! :favorites13:

I'm really excited about this new improvement! I have worked hard to get the sound in the Jeep to where it is VERY good using the factroy HU. But this allows me to eliminate some issues like the high noise floor, weak output, output being cut even more with top off, and a very molested signal from the HU that needs excessive EQing.
Of course the signal from digital is notable clearer right of the bat...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm still blown away that you get that giant *** subwoofer to sound like its banging from the windshield lol.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still blown away that you get that giant *** subwoofer to sound like its banging from the windshield lol.

Lol! I am too, and so are the people that get a demo in the Jeep!

Of course, if I turn up the bass knob too much **** gets a little out of hand, but at a balanced level the bass is quite nicely "up front." :naughty:

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the Fiio dap in, but it was defective so I had to send it back... :(

Yesterday, I spent about an hour doing some A/B listening with the cheap little DAP I have and an analog-digital converter. I played the same Fleetwood Mac album and connected to the aux on my HU, and the digital connection, back and forth...
The difference in sound is remarkable, despite the less than optimal connection and a cheap little at CD quality. The HU connection has had hours of EQ work, and the digital connection has no EQ at all. The current digital connection has two conversions because this DAP does not have a digital ouput: analog output into the converter, digital output from the converter to the DSP, and then of course a second analog conversion in the DSP.

I think I'll do an RTA with pink noise of both and post up some screen shots this evening...

So I am back on the market for a DAP, and I'll most likely end up with the New Fiio x3 or a Hidizs AP100...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually use my modded ipod with a 500gb HD in it as the digital source then fed into my pioneer HU where the DAC converts it to analog and man it sounds awesome compared to say my BT sources. The highest rate I get though is CD quality so it still not up there with FLAC files.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually use my modded ipod with a 500gb HD in it as the digital source then fed into my pioneer HU where the DAC converts it to analog and man it sounds awesome compared to say my BT sources. The highest rate I get though is CD quality so it still not up there with FLAC files.

Very cool! In essence, that is what I am after, and add to that the capability of hi res stuff...

Here are two RTAs:

1st - factory HU without any EQ

2nd - funky digital input with the dual conversion and a cheap DAP, also without any EQ

Obviously, the Jeep comes with some unique challenges in terms of the speaker locations, the interior shape of the cab, etc.. But it is still glaringly obvious what the factory HU does to the signal.

Edit: And wtf is going on at 125Hz?!?! Lol.

Attachments

• Factory HU no EQ.jpg
    Factory HU no EQ.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Digital Input xDuoo.jpg
    Digital Input xDuoo.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The next part is the difference in time alignment and level matching:

1st - Factory HU

2nd - Digital DAP

I can't begin to understand why they would need such different levels between the two signals. :crazy:

Especially the bass, the HU is boosting the **** out of it!

Attachments

• Factory HU no EQ2.jpg
    Factory HU no EQ2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Digital Input xDuoo2.jpg
    Digital Input xDuoo2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 29

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Factory headunit boost it to make up for low placement of 6.5 in a vehicle.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I'm going to try this in my wife's car when I get rolling of that. She loves her apple stuff so maybe I can find a DAP/DAC to work for her and I'll let ya know.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm going to try this in my wife's car when I get rolling of that. She loves her apple stuff so maybe I can find a DAP/DAC to work for her and I'll let ya know.

From what I have heard, you would just need a simple converter and the iPhone/iPad would connect directly the DSPs digital input...

My Droid connected very nicely with a $10 converter and sounded amazing... I just don't to be plugging my phone in and unplugging it every time I get in and out of the Jeep. I want something permanent mounted and dedicated to audio.

I decided that I am going to order the new Fiio X3. I have been chatting with a few guys on Head-Fi.org (pretty cool forum dedicated to headphones and audio players for audiophiles), and the consensus is that I was on the right track with my original plan of getting that player. It is pretty much perfect for my purposes...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like your idea with the x3 and I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same tune they use in the vehicles they have 6x9s in.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like your idea with the x3 and I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same tune they use in the vehicles they have 6x9s in.

Thanks! I'll probably order it today...

I think you are right, because the HU in my Jeep is the exact same one that was in my truck (and many other FCA vehicles)

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice "investigation" if you will David. You are jumping through some hoops to get to "perfect". Have you given any thought to a new HU that supports .flac?

I know for me, I would have to have the HU because I would want to retain the steering wheel controls and phone interface. It will come in time for me, the 8.4a just hasn't pissed me off enough yet ;)

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice "investigation" if you will David. You are jumping through some hoops to get to "perfect". Have you given any thought to a new HU that supports .flac?

I know for me, I would have to have the HU because I would want to retain the steering wheel controls and phone interface. It will come in time for me, the 8.4a just hasn't pissed me off enough yet ;)

Hey Craig! I guess it all started when I connected my phone to the DSP, played a couple flac tracks and heard how great it sounded... :naughty:

I have often thought about and looked at other HUs, but with this open top Jeep, I really do no want to bring any attention to the electronics. Up to this point, the audio is 100% stealth and I am trying to keep it that way. The digital audio player will be mounted in a way that it is hardly visible, too.

If for some reason I decided to replace the HU, it would probably be with this one: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...y-rsx-gs9-hi-resolution-digital-receiver.html
I love this thing!!

Did you see the RTAs of the HU vs. the digital connection?

Last edited:

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a sweet unit. Love the simplistic high class design of it. I didn't think about the theft factor, I am kind of in my own little world in my little town so I did not think about that aspect.

I did look at the RTA's, it's almost like they purposely screw with you on the factory stuff. Lol. What HU is in your Jeep? Is that considered one of the RA models?

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a sweet unit. Love the simplistic high class design of it. I didn't think about the theft factor, I am kind of in my own little world in my little town so I did not think about that aspect.

I did look at the RTA's, it's almost like they purposely screw with you on the factory stuff. Lol. What HU is in your Jeep? Is that considered one of the RA models?

Lol! It does look like they intentionally ****** it up! :roflsquared:

It is the RES 130, the base unit with Uconnect.

I wish it was in my own little world, in my own little town... I live in a great beach side neighborhood, but I am only 15 minutes from Compton. :puke:

Attachments

• chrysler_p05064410ad_res_radio.jpg
    chrysler_p05064410ad_res_radio.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually saw a Jeep double-din install where they built up around the radio and made a beauty panel so when the customer wanted, he covered it up and looked like no radio in the car.