Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine came in today and it was not what I was expecting. First of all, there were no hoses, there were no hose clamps, and the bracket doesn't look like the one indicated. Secondly, I haven't measured capacity, but the one I received is short and squatty, not the tall one I was expecting from the pictures. Not having the warm fuzzy feelings I was hoping for. Will take pictures after the kid's trick or treating.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came in today and it was not what I was expecting. First of all, there were no hoses, there were no hose clamps, and the bracket doesn't look like the one indicated. Secondly, I haven't measured capacity, but the one I received is short and squatty, not the tall one I was expecting from the pictures. Not having the warm fuzzy feelings I was hoping for. Will take pictures after the kid's trick or treating.

Its not like he describes here?

Oil Catch Can R&D, Part 2: The New Kit!

Function and utility often outweigh aesthetics, and our engineering department has paid particular attention to the two while creating the baffled oil catch can kit for the 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L V8 Hemi. Your Ram works hard for you, so it’s only natural to want to take as much care of your pride and joy as you can to keep it running at its best.

We already know that this truck can use some TLC when it comes to the amount of blow-by the Hemi produces. If you need a refresher, in only 1,000 miles, we caught nearly 50ml of content, which is on the high side of tests performed on other applications. It was clear that our can was working, but there was one problem – our original two-ounce can just wouldn’t cut it. You’d have to empty the can several times before you’re even due for an oil change. That’s an inconvenience we don’t want you to experience, so we came up with a solution.

MG_6512r.jpg

Pictured above is our can, doubled in size and capacity. The can’s internals are the exact same, just in a bigger, 4-ounce can. Despite the size increase, its slim figure still allows for options when working within the confines of an engine bay. With this decision, we also had to pay attention to the bracket. Our engineer upgraded the thickness of the bracket to three millimeters, which is denser than what you saw in the previous prototype and is very beefy for what is being supported. It was also modified for a cleaner look and easier fit in the mounting location.

MG_6517.jpg

Here’s a look at how the finalized bracket and sizing settle into the engine bay:

MG_6552r.jpg

MG_6561r.jpg

MG_6548r.jpg

This catch can kit has ample space for installation, easy access for can servicing and clears all nearby engine components. The bracket will mount on the radiator support, which has proven to be a very sturdy location on our shop Ram. Thousands of miles have been put on this truck and there are no signs of foreseeable issues.

Now that we know the final product works and will protect your engine, it’s time for us to give you a chance to get your hands on it. Within the next few days, we will make the presale live for you to purchase this kit at a discounted rate you won’t be able to find anywhere else on the market. Stay tuned for that update. Thanks for reading!

MG_6555r.jpg

-Diamaan

or on the website?

https://www.mishimoto.com/dodge-ram-5-7l-catch-can-2009.html

Heres the installation PDF

https://cdn.mishimoto.com/media/productpdf/MMBCC-RAM-09P_INSTALLATIONGUIDE.pdf

Purchase Includes
(1) Application-Specific Mounting Bracket
(1) Black, Anodized 6061 Aluminum Catch Can
(2) Catch Can Hoses
(2) Plastic Barbed Fittings
(4) Worm Gear Clamps
(1) Bronze Filter
(1) Air Diverter
(1) Internal Baffle & Rod
(1) 3/8" NPT Plug
(1) Large O-Ring
Mounting Hardware
Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

Inlet 3/8" NPT
Outlet 3/8" NPT
Drain Plug Thread Size 3/8" NPT
Capacity 7.5 oz.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is the p/n correct on the box compared to the online p/n and what you ordered?

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The box says 2009+ Ram 5.7L. I emailed Mishimoto. Hope there was a mix up, but not happy about the lead time and now a mix up.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear, it looked promising in the pictures on website.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Again, hoping this is a mix up since I opted in early.
Heading to SEMA Wednesday, so maybe we can get this squared away there.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The box says 2009+ Ram 5.7L. I emailed Mishimoto. Hope there was a mix up, but not happy about the lead time and now a mix up.

Post some pics of what you received

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn that’s not even close to what they show online. I wouldn’t waste time on emails I would call them

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is what I got.65a2cd9fdce25daa19af10312d85964a.jpgab5bc1e32f1f14adb6cf458b8c3dfb97.jpgd578d9fcae963e23e4043d074c60003c.jpgff3763c3a0b325bae92787e9bfe3a144.jpg38c931a546483de9ee58f9537f188fcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That looks like the original one that they posted pictures of on the first page of this post....

Attachments

• Assembled-1-e1474481319121.jpg
    Assembled-1-e1474481319121.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 9

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That it Does... I am in an airport right now headed to SEMA. I will find their booth and chat.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
@DailyRam I'm sorry to see that you didn't receive the correct parts - you definitely should have gotten the larger can along with the bracket, hoses, clamps and all hardware.

I spoke with CS and they are working on getting you the correct parts. I know this is really frustrating after having ordered early in the pre-sale so I do apologize again and thank you for being patient. We'll get this sorted out and get the correct parts to you ASAP.

If anybody else is having this or other issues with the kit, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and we'll get you squared away right away.

-Steve

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine says shipped but doesn’t display a tracking number. Order #145012200

I’ll let everyone know what I get.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Mishimoto - Jacob emailed me earlier to update me. Thanks for the quick reply.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Geez, at $249 I would just spend the extra $40 and get the Arrington V2 competition can. That one is amazing compared to even the BT catch can, with a 2 stage filter down to 40 micron and a 30 degree turn and ball bearing locks.

$249 is definitely priced out of the market for what you're getting since you're trying to break into the market over the BT can which has set the bar and starts at $135 to fully loaded in whatever colour you want with braided hoses and sleek end fittings for $214, if you pay full retail. I've done reviews of all the major catch cans as I've owned them all but damn, this is a tough pill to swallow at that price.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Geez, at $249 I would just spend the extra $40 and get the Arrington V2 competition can. That one is amazing compared to even the BT catch can, with a 2 stage filter down to 40 micron and a 30 degree turn and ball bearing locks.

$249 is definitely priced out of the market for what you're getting since you're trying to break into the market over the BT can which has set the bar and starts at $135 to fully loaded in whatever colour you want with braided hoses and sleek end fittings for $214, if you pay full retail. I've done reviews of all the major catch cans as I've owned them all but damn, this is a tough pill to swallow at that price.

I think I paid $143.55, due to the original Mishimoto rep publishing the wrong price. So at that price, I felt it was worth a gamble since it was near Billet Tech price. I don't have the can in hand yet, still waiting. I too said almost same thing in my earlier post. Me personally, I wouldn't have paid the premium price. But, I don't know catch cans like most on this forum. Maybe it will make my truck go to a gazillion miles! Either that, or guarantee my trust not to rust... ever!

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
@DailyRam I'm sorry to see that you didn't receive the correct parts - you definitely should have gotten the larger can along with the bracket, hoses, clamps and all hardware.

I spoke with CS and they are working on getting you the correct parts. I know this is really frustrating after having ordered early in the pre-sale so I do apologize again and thank you for being patient. We'll get this sorted out and get the correct parts to you ASAP.

If anybody else is having this or other issues with the kit, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and we'll get you squared away right away.

-Steve

Add me to the list also please. I just got back from hunting and opened the box to find the same thing.

gzAkQdhh.png

ywgyaARh.png

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We just received notification that these parts have been inventoried at the warehouse. All of the components still have to be combined into the final boxes to be shipped

-Steve

how are these old design cans even available to be pulled for order fulfillment?

Last edited: