Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Mishimoto, May 23, 2017.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. ExpressRules

ExpressRules Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Express Crew Cab
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Gentle men, gentle men, There is no reason to turn every Catch Can thread into a fight between believers and non-believers. Can't we all just get along? :)

I will admit that I always have my fun in catch can threads talking about the HP gains and proper decal placement to add to that HP, but if there are believers and non-believers there is room in this forum to co-exist.

The thing is I don't think either side can prove or disprove if it makes any real difference in your vehicles. Sure, the believers can show pictures of dirty intakes and non- believers can point to many vehicles with high mileage and no issues without catch cans.

Main point is nobody can force people on each side to repent either way. Let's all just enjoy our trucks . :favorites13:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Pull Ya, MXM34, CTD and 2 others like this.
  2. Mishimoto

Mishimoto Preferred Vendor

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    Awesome! We've gotten so many requests for that, it's getting hard to put that off for much longer. I've, again, forwarded the interest in a radiator based off the responses from this thread. We will look into it!

Catch cans are more of a preventative measure than anything. It's not a part designed for you to see immediate benefits or changes in performance. Some automotive manufacturers design engines to have factory air/oil separators, so the issue is prevalent enough that engineers in that field have devoted time to it. The problem with AOS systems is that they just reroute what they separate back into the system.

The reason you don't see companies have a kit like our on their cars is because it's an extra step in maintenance the general driver will have to pay attention to, and in the automotive field, that's something engineers tend to stay far away from.

Our market research team won't suggest we make something that is totally and completely unnecessary for that market. We carefully vet every avenue of aftermarket parts to be sure that it's something the community will want and can certainly benefit from. Some parts, the benefit comes later on down the road, some are immediate bolt-on parts designed to bump your power output. It all depends. In this case, this is a maintenance part that we have shown can provide benefit.

I can go back to our catch can project on our 2016 Mazda Miata.

[​IMG]
    Check out the full writeup at this link

Within 3000 miles, the walls of the intake manifold already had a thin coating of oil. While this may not really seem like a big deal, combustion efficiency is already affected due to the mixture of contaminants like oil being burned. That is also what causes carbon deposits on your valves. Catch cans significantly reduces this from happening, which is good for your engine in the long run.

Of course, there are vehicles out there that hit 200,000+ without a problem not running a catch can. But what this product does is just make the engine run a bit cleaner. This is also why a lot of people with applications that have forced induction need catch cans. Since this blow-by goes to your intake track, that means it will get to your turbo and intercooler, and that is bad news.

We've cancelled catch can projects in the past after we found that our design wasn't doing anything. But catch cans can work if designed properly and if the application it's designed for throws a lot of blow by, making it more necessary on some applications than others. For this truck, we have documented evidence that the product is doing something! Otherwise, we certainly would not have spent the time to make it. Any catch can we make goes through extensive testing to be sure it's doing something. Hope this clears a bit up! Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

-Diamaan

moparpeetie likes this.
  3. DailyRam

DailyRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
  4. Mishimoto

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    That's a cool video in that link, pretty informative!

Those are more known as air-oil separators or AOS. It performs similar duties to a catch can, but it routes the caught content back into the engine instead of actually catching anything. A true catch can holds the content that is caught for you to dispose of so it completely removed from the system.

-Diamaan

5. Markcuda

Markcuda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
    Engine:
    I'm going to come up with a product for the Hemi motor, it will be the only one of It's kind, I will claim 16 horse power, can you imagine the fools that will make me rich LOLOLOLOLOL

6. moparpeetie

moparpeetie Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So look....we can expect for these to be shipped early September? Is that correct?

huntergreen likes this.
  7. huntergreen

huntergreen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    what is the price and is there any chance for a group buy price?

8. Mishimoto

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    That is correct. Early September!

The presale price is set at $169.95, and we are not planning to do any group buys.

-Diamaan

9. breal201999

breal201999 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Do you have an updated timeline? I haven't heard anything.

Thanks

10. DailyRam

DailyRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Would also be interested in an updated timeline.