Pay for uconnect and navigation after trial period. Unreal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluebayou1031

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I bought this new Tam $82,000 and have to pay for a monthly service for the uconnect service and navigation. I traded in a ford f 150 I got that service for free and even got points and money accumulated when I got service like oil changes and accessories or work done on that vehicle toward the purchase of accessories or next service. So if I don’t subscribe and pay I loose the service. Just another money making gimmick and not told I get this fantastic new system but hey you have to pay to use it. I’m already looking to trade back for a for King Ranch free ford pass system. Has all the start stop navigation for free.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought this new Tam $82,000 and have to pay for a monthly service for the uconnect service and navigation. I traded in a ford f 150 I got that service for free and even got points and money accumulated when I got service like oil changes and accessories or work done on that vehicle toward the purchase of accessories or next service. So if I don’t subscribe and pay I loose the service. Just another money making gimmick and not told I get this fantastic new system but hey you have to pay to use it. I’m already looking to trade back for a for King Ranch free ford pass system. Has all the start stop navigation for free.
You lose very little by not subscribing to uConnect. Things like being able to remote start your truck from anywhere. Nav still works the same. Most find subscribing to be a waste of money. Ram makes it sound like a big deal, but it's not.

zrock

Reaction score
when i go t my truck i was going to subscribe to the service until i found out how much it was... total rip off so instead i just booted up Sirius for $5 a month the rest i can live without.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just like jejb said, your only going to loose the connectivity from your cell phone. All the other features you have will still remain. I have a loaded truck, and I dont miss playing with the lock feature and remote start from my silly cell phone for $155 per year.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not renew my free trial and I only lost the unconnected app functions of remotely starting my truck from anywhere. My regular remote and navigation still work. The navigation sucked even with that free trial. The navigation still works and is just as $h!tty. I got an email notification for a nav update for $50 but I'm not going to bother.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2019 DT w/o all that silly stuff. Not gonna pay RAM or U Connect junkola. As said, run all off of your phone, better anyway to include NAV. FTR, I have a plain jane U connect 4 radio, No NAV, 911, or other stuff, not needed. Just IMHO. I did have a 2015 ED that I had all the extra stuff, just cost money, and the maps were useless except for basic roads. And BTW, U gonna start seeing more pay as U go stuff, it is coming. BMW doing it, Mercedes doing it, just a matter of time till US automakers do it. U get yer vehicle built with a lot of extra capability, but have subscription service to use. Another way of getting into your wallet.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid for the remote start. I do use it and find value in it. However I've never tried the built in nav, Google Maps through Android Auto is much better and always up to date. I don't know why they still offer the nav as an option other than a money maker.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Ram has the 8.4" radio with Navigation
about every 3rd or 4th year, i pay to upgrade the Maps, just for the newly built roads.

The free Bluetooth allows me to have phone service
I have a basic flip phone, i talk through the Rams Bluetooth.
I do not text, even when i am not driving.

Texting, to me is only good for leaving messages, when someone is in a area that has no cell service, but a voice message is good for that too.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only issue I have with using smart phones for navigation is that you are dependent on cell towers instead of satellites. There’s lots of areas up here with sketchy coverage.
I only have a small data plan as I am usually on wifi so that would burn thru my data as well.
That said , the nav on my 14 is way better than my wife’s 21 Mazda I can’t even see it with polarized sunglasses on!

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The only issue I have with using smart phones for navigation is that you are dependent on cell towers instead of satellites.
Well, yes. And no.

If you plan a route while you have service, it downloads all the relevant data for that route (at least, with Google Maps on Apple).

Additionally, you can download "offline maps" with Google Maps if you plan to be in an area (say, on vacation) where you know there is likely to be bad coverage. The GPS works from anywhere as long as you can see the sky so as long as you've downloaded the maps you will be all set.

We just got a new Telluride that has the Head Up display, so the built-in navigation is a great addition, as it will show the Next Turn info there. And the map updates are cheap compared to other mfrs (I think we get two free and then they're like $15 each). However, I would not pay extra for built-in nav - as others have said, Google Maps, Waze or pick-your-flavor are "free" and always up-to-date.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat