Pay for uconnect and navigation after trial period. Unreal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The only issue I have with using smart phones for navigation is that you are dependent on cell towers instead of satellites. There’s lots of areas up here with sketchy coverage.
I only have a small data plan as I am usually on wifi so that would burn thru my data as well.

Download the areas you travel to Google maps while you are home. You can download big rectangles of land and navigate without cell signal inside those. You only lose real time traffic data. I download vacation areas before we leave the house. National or state parks with no service, etc. Then drive and hike without worry of data.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good points, but my idea of having navigation is turn by turn instructions. Therefore paid for satellites vs data based cell towers. I pick satellites.
Also on my 14 I don’t have apple/android anything so perhaps I should stick to the 4th gen forums!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Good points, but my idea of having navigation is turn by turn instructions. Therefore paid for satellites vs data based cell towers. I pick satellites.
Also on my 14 I don’t have apple/android anything so perhaps I should stick to the 4th gen forums!

You still get turn by turn directions. You just don't get traffic updates, so it won't tell you there's a speed trap ahead or that there's a 10 minute slowdown would you like to reroute sort of messages. You'll still get the regular turn left in 500' sort of things. You're still using sat GPS via the GPS chip in your phone, which is what you're using for your vehicle's location regardless of if you're on data or not.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you plan a route while you have service, it downloads all the relevant data for that route (at least, with Google Maps on Apple).
Pretty sure that does not happen automatically. You have to choose to download the route details, but it's not hard to do.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Pretty sure that does not happen automatically. You have to choose to download the route details, but it's not hard to do.
Pretty sure not. This is based on experience, having done so many times, as well as logic - it had to download the entire route data to show you a route to begin with, along with a map overview and ETA.

JmGuTe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The navigation is crap compared to what you have on your phone even with Uconnect. The map data base isn't updated regularly. This is why you and other like myself probably get the email "Hey upgrade your navigation" with new maps. Its separate and why they went with carplay and android auto on the newer uconnect radios because people use their cell phones for directs compaired to the navigation feature in the unit. At least this is my take on it.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Smartphone map systems don't use cell towers for navigation, they use the built-in GPS chip that uses satellites.

While Apple/Android connection to your built-in vehicle display is nice, all you need is a holder for your phone, which will give turn-by-turn instructions and update your distance and ETA.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pretty sure not. This is based on experience, having done so many times, as well as logic - it had to download the entire route data to show you a route to begin with, along with a map overview and ETA.
It's a setting on my Google Maps. Setting is under "Offline Maps Settings" to auto-download them or not. Default is probably to download them.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's a setting on my Google Maps. Setting is under "Offline Maps Settings" to auto-download them or not. Default is probably to download them.
Offline maps are different. That allows you to download ALL the map data within a rectangle. I have four set to auto-update in areas I frequent with poor/no cell service.

Selecting a route only downloads the particulars of that route.

2007RAMROCKS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
My free trial stuff ends tomorrow. I ain't paying for the stuff I didn't really use over the past 6 months. I enjoy having a new 2023 Ram 1500.Period! I found out right off the bat that Google maps works very well since I use Google for everything else in life. It was pretty cool to be able to remote start from anywhere, which is generally in my driveway, or at the yard where she'll sit while I'm out making money in my other truck to pay for her. Sticker price was $62,700., but she is a kick *ss truck with my 5.7, 4X4, Pano roof etc. My brain tells me that getting 18-21 MPG is a good deal; my right foot tells my brain I made the right choice, but that MPG goes down. But I figure that most of us don't buy these trucks for the gas mileage!!
I can suggest to those who get these trucks and may have been used to a serious sound system in their previous ride that there is hope after swapping out the factory crap for some Infinity Ref. spks, a little down tunning the treble... and use a premium music App with some heightening features will make a drastic change. So far, I Love My Truck!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I bought a MAGELLAN Roadmate all in One GPS & 1080 P DashCamera

a video made by QVC a few years back

the only issue that i have had, is the suction cup, that is part of the mounting bracket

Last edited:

logboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Just purchased a 23 1500 Laramie a few months ago.
I am letting the Uconnect trial run it's course and not re-up.
Took a 1600.00 drive recently and used the android auto for mapping , gas and coffee and hotel etc directions.
Worked better than the RAM Nav.
I will purchase Sirius when the trial period is over.
I am getting inundated with mail and email about extra warranty stuff....
I bought a extra warranty(96/96) at purchase that covers the electronics.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just purchased a 23 1500 Laramie a few months ago.
I am letting the Uconnect trial run it's course and not re-up.
Took a 1600.00 drive recently and used the android auto for mapping , gas and coffee and hotel etc directions.
Worked better than the RAM Nav.
I will purchase Sirius when the trial period is over.
I am getting inundated with mail and email about extra warranty stuff....
I bought a extra warranty(96/96) at purchase that covers the electronics.
I always let the factory Sirius expire, I have learned to let it expire an then waited for them to mail me the offer of 2 years at $5.00 month, I don't need all them talk show stations, just want music while I drive...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have been getting the Sirius $5 a month for a year offers for at least 2 years, but i was only driving locally.
I am driving coast to coast this month & i would like to listen to "The Highway" on Sirius.

I would like to buy a portable device, that i could carry in the Ram
That would not charge a expensive monthly fee.

when i drive longer distances, i don't want to be hunting radio channels every 100 miles.
That would be one heck of a distraction

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
i don't pay for serius, I loaded a USB stick with 2500 songs from my apple account. would never ever pay for navigation when waze and google maps are better and free.
the pay for use subriscription stuff I hope nobody pays for, its the only way auto companies are going to drop it

Cdp45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can just download the Sirius XM app on your smart phone if you already pay for their service. Of course you’ll depend on cell service being available.