Pay for uconnect and navigation after trial period. Unreal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lanscop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My navigation system and compass crapped out on my 2019 Ram. Both still technically work, in the sense that they are on and display information. But that info is totally wrong. I live is Pennsylvania and the navigation system shows me as being somewhere in western North Carolina And the compas is off by about 85°. Aside from replacing the infotainment screen, no one has been able to offer another way to correct the issue so I simply use Waze and CarPlay.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
This is only the beginning. Right now it's just extraneous features (remote start/lock/unlock and the like) which Ford still gives out for free (my wife's Ranger has it).

Auto manufacturer's are already licking their chops at the billions they will make when they make the jump and start turning features into a subscription. As vehicles do more and more you will have to pay twice for it. You will have to buy the options to have the feature installed then you will have to pay a subscription for them to work. BMW tried this and it didn't go well so rolled it back. It's only a matter of time before they all jump in the pool for their share and we are forced to deal with it.

It always starts small to get a foot in the door (remote operations/information via an app) then it starts to blossom. You want autodrive? That's a subscription now for Tesla. You want that cool feature in your Jimmy that you can tow your boat hands-free while passing cars and clapping your hands to "We Will Rock You"? That's a subscription too. It will trickle down to more common features which I'm sure will be bundled with other stuff nobody wants forcing you to pay to play drive.

The average price of a new vehicle is $48K and it's not going to go down any time soon. My 2019 Big Horn MSRP was $54K and it didn't even have leather seats. The MSRP on a similar truck for 2023 is almost $10K more.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this new Tam $82,000 and have to pay for a monthly service for the uconnect service and navigation. I traded in a ford f 150 I got that service for free and even got points and money accumulated when I got service like oil changes and accessories or work done on that vehicle toward the purchase of accessories or next service. So if I don’t subscribe and pay I loose the service. Just another money making gimmick and not told I get this fantastic new system but hey you have to pay to use it. I’m already looking to trade back for a for King Ranch free ford pass system. Has all the start stop navigation for free.
Just use Android Auto or Carplay. Those dont cost anything. I've never payed for UConnect.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram has the 8.4" radio with Navigation
about every 3rd or 4th year, i pay to upgrade the Maps, just for the newly built roads.

The free Bluetooth allows me to have phone service
I have a basic flip phone, i talk through the Rams Bluetooth.
I do not text, even when i am not driving.

Texting, to me is only good for leaving messages, when someone is in a area that has no cell service, but a voice message is good for that too.
Yeah but hardly anybody leaves a voice message and if i have one, i dont know til days later and its not usually anyone i know. Texts are best to get a message thru especially for important things.
I could tell you were old school when you said you have free bluetooth lol. Everybody has free bluetooth.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always let the factory Sirius expire, I have learned to let it expire an then waited for them to mail me the offer of 2 years at $5.00 month, I don't need all them talk show stations, just want music while I drive...
Yep, thats what i do. And i dont always buy that. Sometimes i go a long time between having SiriusXm.
Sirius is ok, but it isnt great. Of everything they have on Sirius, i only have maybe 12 stations saved as favorites.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What's unreal is 82k for a pickup truck
I remember telling a dealer to shove it when he wanted 10K for a new 4 ton truck a while back.
Now I am almost that much for 2 windows in the house.

I have never paid for a update on my 2014 Mav, there are roads it doesn't show, But I never get lost anyway, just take the long way sometimes. I do pay a bit for Sirus, BTW its on my phone now I see, It's a rip off, but if you tell them to shove it , it will get down to about 100.oo/ yrs, then I will cave in and say OK , but you have to watch they will auto. renew at hi rate next year, so mark the calendar to cancel just before the date. In Canada , they really try to stick it to us.
PS Old school, yep, I used a flip phone up to 2 yrs ago , I got new heating aid that are blue tooth, so got a used I 8 , works great with the ears; takes nice pictures, I have no idea about apple car play.

Last edited:

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember telling a dealer to shove it when he wanted 10K for a new 4 ton truck a while back.
Now I am almost that much for 2 windows in the house.

I have never paid for a update on my 2014 Mav, there are roads it doesn't show, But I never get lost anyway, just take the long way sometimes. I do pay a bit for Sirus, BTW its on my phone now I see, It's a rip off, but if you tell them to shove it , it will get down to about 100.oo/ yrs, then I will cave in and say OK , but you have to watch they will auto. renew at hi rate next year, so mark the calendar to cancel just before the date. In Canada , they really try to stick it to us.
You can get it cheaper than 100/Yr.
Got mine for $72. Supposed to be $5 a month but with taxes and fees its actually $6 a month....and i wouldnt even do that if it didnt include everything. You have to watch them on that.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What's really unreal is some people still don't know the difference between "loose" and "lose".
Then took the time to register here to let all of us who do not care . This is most likely a one and done post . Hope you like your fort.
Good point, Thought we where here to talk, ***** about trucks, not be a ass about spelling, Mine sucks, as well.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can get it cheaper than 100/Yr.
Got mine for $72. Supposed to be $5 a month but with taxes and fees its actually $6 a month....and i wouldnt even do that if it didnt include everything. You have to watch them on that.
I'm in Canada ,so we get ripped on most stuff, and lots of taxes add one's

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 RAM Longhorn that I bought new and had the Uconnect free trial service and Sirius XM Guardian ... I let them expire and never subscribed because neither one worked properly anyway so they weren't worth the cost ... I still have my navigation though, and it works pretty well when I needed it ... I did subscribe to the SiriusXM Radio because when I travel in the States I lose the radio station signals about every 5-10 miles or so ... With them you have to call before the renewal date and threaten to cancel to get a better rate ... Last time I renewed they wanted $280 for a year, and when I called I got them down to $135 all in (in Canadian dollars) ... It's worth it to me ...
I can't see why you would be losing your Nav system as the Guardian is separate...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only issue I have with using smart phones for navigation is that you are dependent on cell towers instead of satellites. There’s lots of areas up here with sketchy coverage.
I only have a small data plan as I am usually on wifi so that would burn thru my data as well.

You can use Google maps offline, and download them over WiFi. Once you set an area to download it will automatically refresh over WiFi every few weeks.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take chill pill, you don’t have to join anything so just enjoy your system

brian42

Military
Reaction score
CA already charges you 10 cents for every grocery bag. Bags anywhere else are still free.

Now you have to ask for utensils, condiments, straws, and napkins at the restaurant. If you forget to ask in the drive-thru you're eating with your hands and using your shirt as a napkin unless you are headed home.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
CA already charges you 10 cents for every grocery bag. Bags anywhere else are still free.

Now you have to ask for utensils, condiments, straws, and napkins at the restaurant. If you forget to ask in the drive-thru you're eating with your hands and using your shirt as a napkin unless you are headed home.
CA,...of course has been doing that for years now.
And these are some of the many reasons I bailed out of CA when I retired 10 years ago. I saw it coming, I didn't want to live under those rules. I took my not-small retirement pensions and bounced.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Lanscop

I recently went through the navigation being being several miles off.
I checked the site to see if my radio was up to date.
I was not up to date, so i downloaded the updates, they are free

notimetoulouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
2020 Laramie and never used Sirius once. Don't listen to music, just audiobooks which I bluetooth from my phone. Had a couple of emails to update the nav system and pay for Sirius. Ignored them as for as long as I can remember whenever I searched for somewhere using the inbuilt nav, it could never find the place and said it was an offline search. I just assumed the nav crapped out when the Sirius expired so I just use google maps or waze from my phone.

I do like the map display on the big screen but as a navigation system it's pretty much useless in my experience. Of course maybe I'm too dumb to know how to use it and there is an online / offline toggle somewhere, but if there is I never found it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
someone mentioned the 10 cent bag charge

The strange thing about that charge is, although California says that we have to pay it.
BUT, that money does not go to California
California has regulated that each store or chain of stores is responsible for the collection of money, then that money is suppose to go to the Ban the plastic bag fund.
They do it that way, because the dime can not be sent directly the State of California, because then it would be a Unapproved Tax.

This all started because, when we all used Paper Bags, we were killing trees, which was a another misstatement.
Paper bags were made by the scraps of making lumber
Trees are round, lumber is square, so there is a lot of scrap left over to make plywood & paper bags.
Paper is 100% bio-degradable

So now we have to use plastic or cloth for our bags

So they charge the dime for a plastic bag, & plastic is forever
But they can make Park benches out of it

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I use Android Auto, Waze and Pandora. I dumped SiriusXM when they called me about renewal and I didn't have time to respond so they dogged the **** out of me like a bill collector!
Other than that, my truck remote starts just fine from the key fob and I cannot think of a reason WHY I would need to do it from my cell.

Oh...and that navigation thing? It is one sorry ass excuse for a navigation app. Waze and Google are so much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357