Pay for uconnect and navigation after trial period. Unreal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
someone mentioned the 10 cent bag charge

The strange thing about that charge is, although California says that we have to pay it.
BUT, that money does not go to California
California has regulated that each store or chain of stores is responsible for the collection of money, then that money is suppose to go to the Ban the plastic bag fund.
They do it that way, because the dime can not be sent directly the State of California, because then it would be a Unapproved Tax.

This all started because, when we all used Paper Bags, we were killing trees, which was a another misstatement.
Paper bags were made by the scraps of making lumber
Trees are round, lumber is square, so there is a lot of scrap left over to make plywood & paper bags.
Paper is 100% bio-degradable

So now we have to use plastic or cloth for our bags

So they charge the dime for a plastic bag, & plastic is forever
But they can make Park benches out of it

In several cities & towns in Oregon they have banned Plastic bags and now are forced stores to charge us 5 cents for a paper bag :(

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have one store that i frequent, they have 10 cent plastic & paper bags
it is Kosher grocery/Meat Market/ with a large deli

mostly seniors go there, the little ol' ladies bring in their canvas bags

I go mostly for their hot meats & torpedo sandwiches, heated or cold

the part that irritates me, the grocery stores don't even pay a penny per bag

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I bought this new Tam $82,000 and have to pay for a monthly service for the uconnect service and navigation. I traded in a ford f 150 I got that service for free and even got points and money accumulated when I got service like oil changes and accessories or work done on that vehicle toward the purchase of accessories or next service. So if I don’t subscribe and pay I loose the service. Just another money making gimmick and not told I get this fantastic new system but hey you have to pay to use it. I’m already looking to trade back for a for King Ranch free ford pass system. Has all the start stop navigation for free.
I have a 2015 2500 and up till I had 80,000 miles it was all paid for know Garmin wants a monthly fee. I have a hard time paying because my other Garmin products I paid a one time fee and have a life time upgrade. Ram has got to have gave up the life time upgrade for a cheep service from the factory.

JosephPukala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, yes. And no.

If you plan a route while you have service, it downloads all the relevant data for that route (at least, with Google Maps on Apple).

Additionally, you can download "offline maps" with Google Maps if you plan to be in an area (say, on vacation) where you know there is likely to be bad coverage. The GPS works from anywhere as long as you can see the sky so as long as you've downloaded the maps you will be all set.
I was going to respond just don’t close the app or make a wrong turn to make it recalculate. But then I saw you can download the maps. I didn’t know that. I’ll have to try that.

What’s unreal is there are places in Florida with no cell coverage!

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Mecedes Benz tried that with me, said I needed to pay an annual fee for navigation and several other functions, made a big deal out of it..So I called them and said
"Ok why am I paying for features that I paid for when I bought this $90K car? " Well after some serious debate and speaking with a supervisor they admitted that No, I was not going to loose my navigation or any of the other basic functions it was all about their phone app. They went ahead and gave me two free years of the phone app and my navigation and windshield wipers all work as they should without the app.
Don't panic! Your not going to loose anything other than the silly U-Connect...

scausey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummings 6.7 turbo
I agree. Outrageous that there is a fee for this. Unfortunately I live in the south and it is very nice to be able to cool down the truck when I am out of range of the key fob. Also have been deep in the woods hunting and needed to make sure that I locked the truck. Its a love hate relationship.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
seems like some confusion, My 2014 nav has never been updated since new, It works fine, though some new roads, 4 lanes etc are not right, but I don't do much trips anymore.
If you US guys come to Canada , better bring bags.
There are not free plastic bags, other the at the fruit section ,they have the small ones for your stuff. the small walmart bags are 0.33c and better then the big ones, big bags get too heavy.
Everyone has cloth bags now , not a big deal. ( till you forget)
Nothing to do with the stores, it is all govn't BS, save the planet, global warming.
I remember when they said we would all be frozen by now. They just flipped the record I guess.
OK back to trucks and good stuff.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
seems like some confusion, My 2014 nav has never been updated since new, It works fine, though some new roads, 4 lanes etc are not right, but I don't do much trips anymore.
If you US guys come to Canada , better bring bags.
There are not free plastic bags, other the at the fruit section ,they have the small ones for your stuff. the small walmart bags are 0.33c and better then the big ones, big bags get too heavy.
Everyone has cloth bags now , not a big deal. ( till you forget)
Nothing to do with the stores, it is all govn't BS, save the planet, global warming.
I remember when they said we would all be frozen by now. They just flipped the record I guess.
OK back to trucks and good stuff.
New Jersey is the same way with bags. Also you have to ask for plastic straws in restaurants. They aren't supposed to give them out. No styrofoam anything except for packing material. Our governor is an idiot. That's just the beginning, but I'll stop there.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I use google maps on my Iphone with Amazon music app. cost $100 a year, whole family has their own profile. It plays on amazon devices and has app. Plus I download music, for offline while driving.

logboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Wondering if and when RAM Uconnect is going to develop an adjustment for Google maps that allows for a full screen view.
My truck has the 12 inch screen and it would be great to be able to have the Google Map feature occupy the entire screen.
Also, I've just recently been using TIDAL music app ( free version) and it sounds pretty good through the H/K system. Also has a decent selection and allows you to move your Playlist from Spotify if you want.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep I know I got the dodge limited I sure miss my Ford just saying now my windshield fogs up using the ac. Never seen anything like this. Not to happy with this vehicle.
Sounds like you should trade back to a Ford and move on. Life is too short.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't use Uconnect at all
not when i had my 2009 Dodge Ram & now with my 2016 Ram

My Navigation still comes from Navigation.com, which is owned by NOKIA.COM, which is now HERE.com & WeGo.com

In 2018, i think the Chrysler maps came from Tom Tom , they are somehow hooked up with Sirius Guardian.
Sirius Guardian has a monthly service charge

Which cars have built in TomTom?

TomTom navigation, your way
  • Stellantis. TomTom navigation guides the full range of brands, including: Fiat, Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram Trucks, Peugeot, Citroen, DS Automobiles, Opel and Vauxhall.
  • Daimler Trucks. ...
  • BMW. ...
  • Subaru
Use your cell phone or tablet to get your Navigation
you can get free maps from your Apple Store or Android

Google Maps
Waze Maps
Here WeGo maps
etc.

Last edited:

VanD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
T
I bought this new Tam $82,000 and have to pay for a monthly service for the uconnect service and navigation. I traded in a ford f 150 I got that service for free and even got points and money accumulated when I got service like oil changes and accessories or work done on that vehicle toward the purchase of accessories or next service. So if I don’t subscribe and pay I loose the service. Just another money making gimmick and not told I get this fantastic new system but hey you have to pay to use it. I’m already looking to trade back for a for King Ranch free ford pass system. Has all the start stop navigation for free.
Totally agree! Same issue with my 2020 Ram! My wifes Lincoln has all that and the Lincoln app for free! I am looking into moving from Ram to a Ford truck. I love the Ram but I paid $2500 extra for Nav and Uconnect and now don't have full use of Nav and can't use Uconnect at all!

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I love the Ram but I paid $2500 extra for Nav and Uconnect and now don't have full use of Nav and can't use Uconnect at all!
I think there is some misunderstanding of terminology and abilities here.

You may have paid $2500 just because you wanted Nav and Uconnect. But that is not what you paid for.

First off, you get Uconnect by default. You cannot get a Ram without Uconnect. It is always there. My suspicion is that you don't understand what Uconnect is.

What you probably paid extra for is an 8.4" screen instead of the 5" one. This is required for Nav, but also provides a lot more than just Nav.

On to my last point - if you paid for Nav, you have Nav. It will always be there. What is NOT included is updates. This is why many people forgo factory Nav and use the CarPlay/AndroidAuto interface from their phone. The only potential downfall I'm aware of with the phone interface is if you:
1. Don't pre-plan your route, AND
2. Don't have internet connectivity AND
3. Haven't downloaded an offline map,
you won't be able to create a new route.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357